Harvey impacted scouts & scouters

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't know if you can have a good day among so much destruction, but I had a personal bright spot. Helped a family today. Young boy was eyeing my Philmont hat. Couldn't help it. Just took it off and g

I'm not an expert on aid distribution to be honest. My schtick is S&R. They point me in the area they need help and I go in. The aid coordinators are like Philmont logistics types on MASSIVE stero

Thank you for being "boots on the ground" @@Col. Flagg .  God Bless Texas!

Councils in the north are sending stuff down to them as needed. Units are going to make an effort to camp down there so our money can help the local economy. Camps are offering all sorts of help. Local camps are keeping the tents from summer camp up to take over flow. The mega expensive new conference facilities in my council are opening to take folks too.

Spent two days doing CERT down there. Going back Wednesday.

• Upvote 1

From Circle 10 Council:

Scouts are prepared and ready to help. We know that our units want to do what they can to help the families affected by Hurricane Harvey. Circle Ten Council is in communication with the Scout councils who are in the areas affected by the hurricane. At this point, it is too soon for them to be able to tell us exactly what they need in way of support. We will continue to update our Scouting community as we find out specific needs.

We have set up a website to collect Hurricane Relief Funds to help the victims. This fund will be distributed with the assistance of the councils who have been affected to provide support for their Scout families. The Circle Ten Council Executive Board has also pledged to match those funds collected, up to $10,000.

We also encourage our Scouts to do what they feel is appropriate in locally assisting those who have taken refuge in our community. We encourage you to reach out to the Salvation Army, Red Cross, SPCA of Dallas, or your chartered partner to find out what is needed locally.

The Circle Ten Council has offered our camps as relief shelters. We may need assistance in preparing the camps or during their stay. We will be posting these needs as they become know on our website and social media channels.

Thank you for your Scouting spirit.

Link to BSA Emergency Assistance Fund donation page

@Col. Flag ... Not sure if this would be useful ... sometimes there could be too much "help". Our first Pack meeting this year we were going to have our scouts bring in some of their used toys to donate to Goodwill. I was thinking we could also ask families to bring in slightly used camping equipment (tents, stoves, lanterns, etc.) that could be donated to Troops in Texas who may have lost equipment. We have done this locally in the past for new or disadvantaged Troops. Let me know if this would help or just be ad added hassle.

Good luck and keep safe!

I'm back down here. We've got CERT teams trained in swift water rescue going out tomorrow. Money and water are needed but there are many organizations and agencies helping. Response has been swift. It would have helped had more people evac'd but they didn't. The BIG problem is all the rain to the NW is all flowing BACK down the estuaries to the sea. The worst was pulling folks out of a nursing home filled with 2ft of water...everywhere!!!

It's going to be a long four days.

You can help with donations to organizations that promise to give the money direct to aid relief.

• Upvote 1

I'm back down here. We've got CERT teams trained in swift water rescue going out tomorrow. Money and water are needed but there are many organizations and agencies helping. Response has been swift. It would have helped had more people evac'd but they didn't. The BIG problem is all the rain to the NW is all flowing BACK down the estuaries to the sea. The worst was pulling folks out of a nursing home filled with 2ft of water...everywhere!!!

It's going to be a long four days.

You can help with donations to organizations that promise to give the money direct to aid relief.

Thanks for being down there helping!   I will donate to those, thanks.

They funniest was a local gang protecting a business from being looted. Go figure.

Glad the gangs are are helping. I heard a story about the Cajun Navy volunteer getting shot at by looters, and I had it confirmed from an elementary school friend involved that there is a section of Houston they and the Texas Navy will no longer go to because the looters shot at them in an attempt to steal the boats. They are letting the sheriffs' deputies and USCG deal with the rescues in that area. 

Praying for you guys.

• Upvote 1

@@Col. Flagg,

Can you tell us where to send those items that you mentioned? Our troop wants to help sending some items (no teddy bears, I assure you ;) ) . A friend was supposed to get me in contact with a troop from Spring that is helping at a church but I haven't heard anything on that front yet. 

• Upvote 1

@@Col. Flagg,

Can you tell us where to send those items that you mentioned? Our troop wants to help sending some items (no teddy bears, I assure you ;) ) . A friend was supposed to get me in contact with a troop from Spring that is helping at a church but I haven't heard anything on that front yet.

Sorry guys. Long days and not a lot of time to read or post.

I'd reach out to the Sam Houston Council. They can tell you what Scout would need, local units, etc. They likely have a hands on local

charities that are coordinating assistance to a wider audience.