Outstanding Annual Planning meeting

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this.

That’s how my Troop has been ever since I’ve gotten SPL (2 years ago). I have monthly PLCs, and then the reorganization meeting for planning everything over the summer. But, this was the first year the PLC has made the schedule, the CC use to get all ideas from us and then make it. Instead, we made it this year. I really think it’s going to be a good year for us as a scout-led troop.

We moved to PLC-based planning about a decade ago after one SM was all about adult-driven outcomes. Took two years but the boys picked it up and have run it ever since. We do TLT every year (twice) and Program planning is one module we do; complete with hands on exercises.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had an SPL only for about a year a few years back when I was a SM of a 4 patrol troop.  We never had a PLC, all the annual planning was done by the patrols for the patrols.  As we grew to 4 patrols the patrols did their own planning and when it got cumbersome trying to reconcile all the different calendars, the SPL assisted the PL's in getting it organized so that similar activities could be scheduled into the same months with a bit of shifting around.  If 2-3 patrols all wanted to attend the same summer camp, the SPL would work with them an at least try to get them in the same month and ideally the same week.  A little give and take and things worked out really quite well.  In our case, the PL's selected the SPL and so the trust level among the SPL and PL's was quite high and the calendar process worked out well.  I don't think they really had an official PLC meeting, just a gathering of leaders so that the wrinkles can get ironed out as needed.

• Upvote 1

I started with 5 boys and it grew slowly so the adjustment was easy.  One patrol one calendar.  Two patrols, the PL's worked it out and the second patrol basically took the old calendar from the other patrol and tweaked it.  Three patrols, again the PL's worked it out and now we had the NSP with an experienced TG to help them put together a calendar, again reminiscent of the old other patrol calendars.  After a while the older boys began to get more high adventure oriented and added a one or two event change.  When they did go to summer camp for instance, they all signed up for the off-site activities rather than the new scout program or just MB's.  Yes, they did go to the same camp, but now more leaders were necessary for the off-site 2-deep leadership.  It also gave some of the new ASM's a chance to be the SM in camp and the SM went with the HA patrol.

As the troop got to the fourth patrol, the PL's selected an SPL to assist them in the coordination of the calendars.  He was selected from the APL's, none of the PL's wanted to give up their position as PL's.  It worked out just fine to have one boy with no patrol agenda to referee the conversation and offer suggestions on how to work out the one or two conflicts that arose.  It wasn't much of a stretch.

All in all, we "grew" into the process rather than trying to make the switch all at once.

If I were trying to implement it into an existing troop, I would suggest working the system backwards from what I experienced, allowing the older boy patrol (Venture) an opportunity to come up with their own patrol calendar separate from the other patrols' calendars.  The addition of one or two special activities, or going off-site at summer camp is not going to be a major disruption, but then as each patrol reaches a more mature stage in their planning, allow them the opportunity to select a couple of special activities for their patrol.  Each year work back a patrol and if one has 5 patrols, within 4-5 years they will see how the new system works and adapt their patrols to the process.  By year 3 or 4, even the NSP will quickly orient themselves to a combination of existing suggestions for their patrol calendar and still have a chance to add something special just for themselves, such as a campout that focuses on Scout-First Class advancement requirements in the field.  If my Webelos boys can plan a Webelos campout, surely the NSP can figure it out as well.

Be prepared for a lot of confusion from the boys in the beginning.  This stuff doesn't just happen over night, but as time goes on, they adapt rather well to the new system and they get a bit of calendar similarities, i.e. camporees, Christmas Party, summer camp swim check night at a pool, and yet have an opportunity to do something special for themselves as well.

Edited by Stosh
  • Upvote 1

I remember years ago seeing how our troop planned and I was so proud.  It was fun to watch the scouts work together and plan.  But it was a reflection of a scoutmaster who knew the ideal and how to work toward that idea.  Our SM would meet with the SPL days or week in advance and help the SPL plan the planning meeting.  Organization.  Agenda.  How to run it.  Needed tools.  At the day of the planning meeting, the SM was in the back of the area sitting and mostly quiet.  Sometimes answering a question, but mostly the SPL and PLs and SPL assistants ran the meeting.  

I think the huge huge failure is that BSA does not do enough to show effective PLCs and how specific PLC activities should be run.  A great example is annual planning.  I swear our troop annual planning session was based on a document / structure laid out long long ago, but not emphasized lately.  

I really wish things like this were better shared.  

I think the huge huge failure is that BSA does not do enough to show effective PLCs and how specific PLC activities should be run.  A great example is annual planning.  I swear our troop annual planning session was based on a document / structure laid out long long ago, but not emphasized lately.  

I really wish things like this were better shared.  

I fully agree. Ninety percent of the SPLs who attended our Council Youth Leadership Development Course (NYLT) had no training toward planning and leading PLC meetings, much less the annual planning meeting. Most who attend troop monthly PLC meetings led by a untrained SPL would likely rather watch paint dry. By the time the participants finished our four day course, they had planned at least eight PLC meetings (which include annual planning) and led at least two. The SPL handbook also gives basic direction toward planning a PLC meeting.

Our troop is a little different in that our PLC meetings are held 30 minutes before each troop meeting. Our SPL becomes so efficient that most meetings run only 20 minutes.

Barry

• 2 weeks later...

I'm throwing-in my $.02 here as we just completed a planning exercise that appears to work for us.  Up until a few years ago our annual planning was a marathon event held on our Scoutmaster's backyard deck.  The Scoutmaster reigned over the process (as he kept the planning calendar in front of himself).  Enthusiastic Scouts and their parents would arrive and begin the process in earnest planning for the following January.  By mid-day they'd completed planning up to Spring but energy was flagging so pizzas were ordered.  With goodwill still strong and after a second wind the session continued.  We eventually managed to get through the Summer planning but by then energy was completely depleted and the Scouts were out horsing around and the thing devolved into chaos.  The Scoutmaster wound up planning for Sep through Dec.  And every year it was the same.

When I took over as Scoutmaster I was determined to make the process more Scout-lead and less grueling.  As our tradition is to elect SPL's twice per year - thus two PLC administrations for 6mos, each - my plan was to give each PLC administration an equal bite at the planning "apple" by splitting the annual planning into two sessions and each PLC administration gets to plan a six-month bloc.  It has since proved to be not only more equitable, but also more manageable as the Scouts only have to focus on half a year at a time instead of a twelve month marathon.

For the past few years now we've set each of the planning sessions on a weekend afternoon, inviting the PLC as well as the Staff (Quartermaster, Chaplain's Aide, etc.) as well as the Scoutmaster Corps and Troop Committee Chair.  We start at 3:30pm and incorporate a Bar-b-Que.  I purchase a desktop calendar from an office-supply store, as well as several bright post-it colors (representing Overnighters, Service Projects, Meetings, Hikes & Outings, & District Events) and Sharpies.  The other adults and I sit back while the Scouts have at-it with the Sharpies and post-its.  Along with the Bar-b-que it seems to have met my goal of being more Scout-lead and less grueling.

Nevertheless I'm always looking for ways to improve and finding a way to reinforce the Patrol Method is now a key focus of mine.  Consequently I'm intrigued by @Stosh/@Lurking's method, above, and I'm running it through my head to try it on and see what fits.  Meantime, for those of you who are planning at the Troop-level, but are frustrated by marathon annual planning sessions you might consider aligning your planning horizon with your PLC administrations and break-up the marathon accordingly.  YIS -

- Craig

• Upvote 1

I started with 5 boys and it grew slowly so the adjustment was easy.  One patrol one calendar.  Two patrols, the PL's worked it out and the second patrol basically took the old calendar from the other patrol and tweaked it.  Three patrols, again the PL's worked it out and now we had the NSP with an experienced TG to help them put together a calendar, again reminiscent of the old other patrol calendars.  After a while the older boys began to get more high adventure oriented and added a one or two event change.  When they did go to summer camp for instance, they all signed up for the off-site activities rather than the new scout program or just MB's.  Yes, they did go to the same camp, but now more leaders were necessary for the off-site 2-deep leadership.  It also gave some of the new ASM's a chance to be the SM in camp and the SM went with the HA patrol.

As the troop got to the fourth patrol, the PL's selected an SPL to assist them in the coordination of the calendars.  He was selected from the APL's, none of the PL's wanted to give up their position as PL's.  It worked out just fine to have one boy with no patrol agenda to referee the conversation and offer suggestions on how to work out the one or two conflicts that arose.  It wasn't much of a stretch.

All in all, we "grew" into the process rather than trying to make the switch all at once.

If I were trying to implement it into an existing troop, I would suggest working the system backwards from what I experienced, allowing the older boy patrol (Venture) an opportunity to come up with their own patrol calendar separate from the other patrols' calendars.  The addition of one or two special activities, or going off-site at summer camp is not going to be a major disruption, but then as each patrol reaches a more mature stage in their planning, allow them the opportunity to select a couple of special activities for their patrol.  Each year work back a patrol and if one has 5 patrols, within 4-5 years they will see how the new system works and adapt their patrols to the process.  By year 3 or 4, even the NSP will quickly orient themselves to a combination of existing suggestions for their patrol calendar and still have a chance to add something special just for themselves, such as a campout that focuses on Scout-First Class advancement requirements in the field.  If my Webelos boys can plan a Webelos campout, surely the NSP can figure it out as well.

Be prepared for a lot of confusion from the boys in the beginning.  This stuff doesn't just happen over night, but as time goes on, they adapt rather well to the new system and they get a bit of calendar similarities, i.e. camporees, Christmas Party, summer camp swim check night at a pool, and yet have an opportunity to do something special for themselves as well.

"Patrol calendars":   Careful, that shows an almost subversive tendency towards the PATROL Method.  :D

“Make the Patrol the unit ALWAYS, in and out, through thick and thin, for better and worse in victory and defeat, in games and on hikes, and in camp.â€

Bill Hillcourt, Handbook for Scoutmasters, B.S.A.(1936)

"The patrol,. not the troop, is the primary setting for Boy Scouting."

“[The patrol members] interact in a small group outside the larger troop context, working together as a team and sharing the responsibility of making their patrol a success.â€

“[The patrol is] the place where boys learn skills together, take on leadership responsibilities, perhaps for the first time . . . . â€

“Patrols need to meet regularly to get their work done.â€

“Patrols will sometimes join with other patrols to learn skills and complete advancement requirements.â€[emphasis added]

SOURCE: Boy Scouts of America, current statements as of October 8, 2017.

So if all this is true . . . … what must be true about how Scouts are supposed to spend their time in Boy Scouting?

Plan accordingly.