Girl Scouts letter to BSA

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cookie Mafia has to protect it's turf. I'm not sure why the Girl Scouts is concerned, the type of girl who would want to be involved with Boy Scouts is not the same demographic of girls who enjoy Girl

At least GS/USA is capable of calling out "family accessible" for the tripe that it is.

BSA is not trying to take over GSUSA.  BSA has had a huge membership drop and they are competing with many other organizations for participants.  We are lucky that given the huge membership drop that

I thought the news report out of Iowa was a much better tactic for GSUSA. This letter seems defensive and petty. I don't think this will go over well as it appears GSUSA wants to limit choice for girls. That is too bad because I was hoping GSUSA would make the necessary changes to allow it to be on par with the BSA program... given this letter I don't think that will occur.

@@kscouter thanks for that link

"Through various means we have learned that BSA is very seriously considering opening their programs to girls and we have made repeated efforts to engage with them and talk about the implications,"

Well at least someone high up in Scouting  is listening to our comments.  :unsure:

• Upvote 1

Washington Post now running with this with headline "Scout Wars...". Not much info beyond buzzfeed but did have some more comments about GSUSA comments and indicated they also have seen a major membership drop.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/08/23/scout-wars-girl-scouts-accuse-boy-scouts-of-recruiting-girls-to-increase-membership/?utm_term=.c3679e002e2e

Cookie Mafia has to protect it's turf. I'm not sure why the Girl Scouts is concerned, the type of girl who would want to be involved with Boy Scouts is not the same demographic of girls who enjoy Girl Scouts. The day the Boy Scouts program looks like the Girls Scouts program is the day I think 99% of this forum throws in the towel.... 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

It's funny how people flip flop and then reverse accusations that could easily be said about the speaker.  For decades, GSUSA has allowed GSUSA leader to speak badly about BSA being stuck in the past and have not wanted to coordinate camps, resources or program.  GSUSA has represented themselves as more current and progressive and not discriminatory.  I remember GSUSA paid employees commenting about BSA and how BSA was discriminatory because of membership orientation policies ... unlike GSUSA which was more accepting.   

The GSUSA leader accuses BSA of allowing derisive and bad mouthing of the girl scout program by Boy Scout leaders when I've heard the reverse.  For decades, I've heard GSUSA leaders talk about BSA and that GSUSA is more progressive and not discriminatory.  

The point is to be current and representing society today, organizations need to be more open and that does mean co-ed.  If a church wants to charter a single-gender unit, fine.  That's their unit membership choice.  But BSA as an organization needs to focus on program and structure and not get stuck on the more fluid dynamics of the times. 

• Upvote 1

Cookie Mafia has to protect it's turf. I'm not sure why the Girl Scouts is concerned, the type of girl who would want to be involved with Boy Scouts is not the same demographic of girls who enjoy Girl Scouts. The day the Boy Scouts program looks like the Girls Scouts program is the day I think 99% of this forum throws in the towel.... 

This issue is that currently, there is NO ALTERNATIVE for girls that would prefer BS activities so they end up in GS. Once BS opens that door more than Venturing, GS will no longer have their exclusivity. Girls will be free to join the program that interests them (and their parents) the most. As a parent of a GS and a BS, my anecdotal experience is that GS are going to lose quite a few girls that want to join their brother's organization.

The day the Boy Scouts program looks like the Girls Scouts program is the day I think 99% of this forum throws in the towel.... 

I always thought the "Cub Scout" program resembled the Girl Scout program.  Seriously.  Crafts.  Go-see-its.  Minor camping.  

It's interesting in the letter, the BSA spokesman said no decisions have been made yet, but that's not the scuttlebutt I've been hearing among the council brass.  So much for transparency and honesty.

Cubs is close now.

The way some units run their programs I'd say they're on the path to Girl Scouts now.

Only a matter of time.

@@Stosh. I was told the same... decision made, "local option". I asked when and was told they are working on logistics and it wasn't clear how they would handle the Boy Scout plan. I pressed a bit and was told they were looking at recharter time Jan 2018. Apparently there was a vote on white boards at the national meeting by SEs and >70% voted yes immediately pursue this. Who knows.. it wasn't the official statement but I trust the source.