Adult Uniform Checklist

Interesting observation from the uniform checklist

Here is the text in question:

"Male Cub Scout and Boy Scout leaders wear the official pants or the official uniform shorts or pants with no cuffs."

So, as I read and reread this sentence, it seems that one can wear:

1. Official Pants
  2. Official Shorts
  3. Any pants with no cuffs

Since I never cuff my jeans, I think that wearing jeans is perfectly acceptable. 

Oh also, note that just showing up is worth 15 points! 

Interesting observation from the uniform checklist

Here is the text in question:

"Male Cub Scout and Boy Scout leaders wear the official pants or the official uniform shorts or pants with no cuffs."

So, as I read and reread this sentence, it seems that one can wear:

1. Official Pants
  2. Official Shorts
  3. Any pants with no cuffs

Since I never cuff my jeans, I think that wearing jeans is perfectly acceptable. 

Well, my suspicion is that what they really mean is "the official uniform pants with no cuffs or the official uniform shorts."  I realize that's not what it says.  I think it's just very poorly written, which would not make it unique for a BSA publication.  It looks like a sentence that was "written by committee."

Nice try sneaking that in there

... Any ...

Attendance? Well, that's useful if you're scoring a patrol or a unit based on the membership roster. Someone present at least bumps the average.

The poor writing is precisely the problem. It is attempting to state that you may wear either the uniform pants OR the uniform shorts, but whether you choose the pants or the shorts, neither may be worn with cuffs.

It's not written well at all, of course, but it doesn't take great reading skills to be able to discern the intention from the quotation. I would be more troubled by anybody who tries to find loopholes in the writing as an excuse to be sloppy in one's own uniforming.

• Upvote 2

The poor writing is precisely the problem. It is attempting to state that you may wear either the uniform pants OR the uniform shorts, but whether you choose the pants or the shorts, neither may be worn with cuffs.

It's not written well at all, of course, but it doesn't take great reading skills to be able to discern the intention from the quotation. I would be more troubled by anybody who tries to find loopholes in the writing as an excuse to be sloppy in one's own uniforming.

I honestly do not see how you are getting that neither may be worn with cuffs? If that was the intent, they would not have had to write "pants" twice. 

Nice try sneaking that in there

Attendance? Well, that's useful if you're scoring a patrol or a unit based on the membership roster. Someone present at least bumps the average.

Ok, I added the "any" but even if you remove it, it says pants with no cuffs. My slacks all have cuffs, so that's out. 

The uniform police will need more space under insignia to calculate the correct number of palms on the Eagle knot.

SPL: Sir, may I have the date of your board of review please? Thank you. Now, MB and award cards in chronological order, please? Ooops, looks like you're one palm short. That's -5 points. ... No sir, solidarity with Eagles whose BoR was a month before yours does not garner leniency.

Edited by qwazse

I see scouts wearing neckers and properly over the collar.  :)

Which would be great if any of them were wearing pants, and the YP guidelines don't care about cuffs or no cuffs.  Not to mention that there seems to be one-deep leadership.  :)

Okay, let me get this straight  a PAIR (2) of pants (plural) is how many pant?  2 or 4?  Then again a pair (2) of shorts (plural)?  How many does one need to pass the inspection.  I do believe that one is going to need some sort of calculator for this one.  It sounds like one of those math word problems that never made sense because if I had 40 watermelons and gave 25 away, how many do I still have.  Well, who has 40 watermelons in the first place and if one ever grows zucchini, it's tough to give one away let alone 25 of them suckers.  And now what do I do with the last 15 watermelon?  I toss them, I don't like watermelon and unless I end up with zero, I ain't gonna be a happy camper.