I received my order in the mail Saturday morning; it's a nice patch that I'm sure the boys will love. I was told they haven't made very many compared to other event patches, so I am sure in a few years it will be very popular with collectors. A fun patch for an exciting event!

We aren't actually meeting quite yet, we are waiting for the school years to start. If I had had enough warning, I might have tried to do something with it.  But thanks for posting, perhaps next time we can look for it earlier.

We aren't actually meeting quite yet, we are waiting for the school years to start. If I had had enough warning, I might have tried to do something with it.  But thanks for posting, perhaps next time we can look for it earlier.

"...the next total eclipse for North America will come on April 8, 2024. "

http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/whens-the-next-total-solar-eclipse-in-the-us

Bummer you just found out, it was on the bryan scouting log for a bit now.  If you don't subscribe to that, I suggest you do.  It is an interesting blog and useful as well.

If you go here: https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2017/06/27/earn-bsa-2017-solar-eclipse-patch/you can subscribe to the blog

• Upvote 1

BSA posted a lot on Twitter and FB as far back as April. Follow those pages and you'll see stuff like this.

• Upvote 1

BSA posted a lot on Twitter and FB as far back as April. Follow those pages and you'll see stuff like this.

Thank you. I don't really do either of those, but I do have accounts. Guess I just need to look.

Bummer you just found out, it was on the bryan scouting log for a bit now.  If you don't subscribe to that, I suggest you do.  It is an interesting blog and useful as well.

If you go here: https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2017/06/27/earn-bsa-2017-solar-eclipse-patch/you can subscribe to the blog

I occasionally check the blog, but don't recall seeing that one. Thank you.

• Upvote 1

Scout Troop 521 will head to Wyoming to catch a glimpse of the rare event.

Eight years ago, Boy Scout Sam Kimpton and his father, Peter Kimpton, were reading an astronomy book and learned that the United State was due for a solar eclipse.

Peter Kimpton promised his son that they would make the trip to see the eclipse.

"The prospect that I even thought as a kid, like, 'Oh, hey, look. It's a good idea,'" Sam Kimpton said. "But now, thinking of it, it's possible. Why shouldn't we do it?"

The two are heading to Yellowstone National Park, but they're not going alone. Seven boys and 11 adults from Troop 521 are also taking the trek west.

"We've aligned the eclipse trip along with a backpacking adventure through Yellowstone National Park," Peter Kimpton said.

Check video

http://www.wmur.com/article/londonderry-boy-scouts-head-west-to-watch-eclipse/12034272

We are very fortunate in my council, the Great Smoky Mountain Council. Our summer camp is almost dead center of the path of totality. I think we are only 3-4 second shy of the maximum length of time for totality in our area.

The Camp is completely booked and the council has activities planned. The OA will be providing service. Most local schools are out. We have troops from far away councils coming in and making a weekend of it, complete with shooting sports, opening the water front and I even believe the COPE course.

The downside is I was told the state EMA is expecting 2.4 million vehicles on I-40 Monday.

I am working the event, and it looks like we will have around 800 people on hand. Everyone will be gathering at a large field we call the Pinnacle . I will report on how well it went.....if I survive.