30 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

It is very tempting. Part of me feel obligated to my Scouts to keep pushing though.

They just keep coming, you'll always feel that way whether it be today or 10 years from now.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My son left scouting back in the mid 1990's.  I have enjoyed working with the boys since.  Now that the program is no longer what I signed up for, transitioning out is going to be easy.  I've paid my

Well, I'm finally shaking this bronchitis I've had for the past few weeks, there's space in the SM's car for me and my gear, and it looks like a weekend worthy of my presence (some rain, temperatures

Make the most of these years with your son as they will never come again.  It does not have to be Scouting.

34 minutes ago, Stosh said:

They just keep coming, you'll always feel that way whether it be today or 10 years from now.

Don't know. I have no connection with one batch of Scouts, and I don't want any with them either. If we keep getting more like them, and their parents, I can see myself leaving.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, WisconsinMomma said:

Good question :)  Was it effective?????  LOL.

One of the parents in my son's therapy group has a story of her son who hit another kid. He told the kid to stop a few times, then said, stop, or I'm going to hit you, the other kid didn't stop, the lady's son hit the other kid, and THE KID STOPPED.  So her kid learned his method was effective. Her kid didn't get into trouble at school either, because he warned the kid -- stop or I will hit you.  LOL. Sorry, it's only funny when it's not your own kid.  

My family was on vacation in Israel (In Akko/Acre BTW which is beautiful) and a arab muslim boy, probably 9-10 came up to us (we obviously looked american) and yelled in broken english "america I stick my dick up my butt!".  Because I was so used to boys in cub scouts I avoided international incident--I figured smart ass boys arise in all cultures. Mrs Turtle was annoyed as I tried to explain in broken Arabic, crude gestures, and basic english that he had his insult all wrong about whose butt, etc and how to improved it. (A Scout is Helpful) At which point his plump mother all swaddled in robes muttering the Arabic equivalent "I'm sorry my son is an idiot" came up and gave him a cartoon style swap to the side of the head. He did stop.

Apparently he was coming home from school and was supposed to pick up some bread and meet her at the bus stop. I was able to get across that "all little boys can act like fools", I was a boy scout leader, and mine (who were now teenagers watching) were capable of similar things. She gave me a half smile and a weary nod and waddled on along with her boy pulling him by the ear. I did see them a couple blocks later and they had the arms around each other so I assume all was forgiven.

Days later when I ran into a Scout leader in Bethlehem (the Arab Orthodox Troop who have an awesome band) we had a grand time commiserating on working with boys and the Scout program problems. At that point I LOVED Scouting despite my periodic frustrations with National and the Troop. I would hate to walk away and lose that connection though I am tempted and feel an actual sense of grief at the possibility of loss. 

10 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Don't know. I have no connection with one batch of Scouts, and I don't want any with them either. If we keep getting more like them, and their parents, I can see myself leaving.

There are probably other groups of Scouts that need you and that you could connect with.

4 hours ago, Tampa Turtle said:

Well I have told the story at a campfire with some older scouts but I get you. Moving on.

Yes let's move back to the topic -  scouter frustration with Scouting to the point where "giving up" is being discussed.

Edited by RememberSchiff

....actually is was son quitting scouts and scouter was frustrated anyway....

but I don't see harm in the subject drift.  that's the way conversations flow naturally.

If it was a specific question to be answered specifically then drift may not be so appropriate, but it was just a rant....bantering around this virtual campfire....