Some good news about scouts

Only rule for this thread: Only good news or congratulations are allowed. Pictures are encouraged (you'll need a url).

We had a great high adventure trip (Frying Pan Wilderness near Aspen, CO). We did 27 miles in 4 days with an elevation gain of over a mile. After the backpacking we spent a couple of days in Glenwood Springs, rafting and going to the hot springs.

Here are some pics.

36315986432_8965e15f3c_n_d.jpg

36509401746_ebd093973c_n_d.jpg

36484075465_dffbc7b265_n_d.jpg

And finally, the view from the loo at a 10th Mountain hut we stayed at one night.

35720929064_13ce3e8dd3_n_d.jpg

• Upvote 1

We increased attendance our Cub Day Camp from 87 last year to 121 this year!

For those of you who think Lions program isn't a good idea, we increased our Day Camp attendance by Tigers from 5 last year (which has been typical for the last several years) to 17 this year - almost entirely due to very active Lions programs in a few Packs in our district.

Edited by sierracharliescouter
  • Upvote 2

First Scout meeting of the new year last night! Boys seemed happy to reunite with those they did not see at Summer Camp, AT, and MBC classes during the break. Happy Boy whose brother died came back as well. Distributed Manchester 'Bee' patches and folks thought they were cute. Son #2 was enjoying himself more now he has finished his one year term as SPL. Good night :)

• Upvote 2

I've been working with the new scout patrol and they're going on a campout without the troop to practice doing things on their own before the fall camporee. They are super excited and everyone has a job to do for the campout. Each month they pick a new PL. While their leadership skills are minimal they are starting to look out for each other. One scout got upset and walked off because his idea lost out to another scout's idea but everyone went and found him and brought him back in.

Oh, and the best part, I asked them if they had any friends outside of scouts that might want to go camping with us and they came up with at least 4 names. I told them if they got at least one friend to join us I'd make them all dutch oven brownies.

Oldest completed the 2 Eagle required MBs and SMC he needed for Life yesterday. At the SMC discovered he taught the wrong first aid skills, but he is working on that. So it looks like he will be up for his Life BOR on the 28th.

Also, some of you may have remembered the challenges my troop was having 12-18 months ago. It was bad. The camp out this past weekend was AWESOME! SPL and PLs did their job, and it went very smoothly.  With the exception of new parents interfering some, it was flawless in execution. Even with the bad weather we had,back up plans were made by the SPL, and he improvised some when we couldn't do exactly what was planned, but also didn't need to go full blown back up as predicted. Over all a great weekend

Hot summer campout in 100+ degree weather where boys in our troop learned to shoot arrows and 22 rifles for the first time.  Then 3 hours just having a Blast in the pool for fun.  They all passed out before we made in out of the parking lot.  

IMHO, that is was scouting is about.

I had to do some last minute work on a family cottage, pretty much on my own through the day. Neighbors had invited their troop to camp in their yard so the group could spend the day at a reenactment. I was invited to supper once the boys came back. I had a few more things to do, and a roll of carpet to move. (Definitely a three-man job.)

There were four scouts and their parents who were a bit helicopter-ish. I came over carrying a rope and called the scouts, who were pretty wiped out from the day and from meal prep, to come on by. They asked why, and I said "Who among you knows the scout slogan?"

One or two of them shouted it back to me, then they got the message and snapped to. I showed them the task, and told them, "I figure there are two ways: stretcher via kayak paddles, or rope." (All the while their adults were offering to step in, and I shooed them back.)

They figured "rope", which I handed to them, they turned to their Eagle Scout, and he said, "Looks like a timber hitch should do it."

They got right to it and dragged that bad boy into the garage in no time.

I allowed them and younger sister to have their pick from my family's ice cream stash to put in their coolers for when the meal was done. (I don't think any actually waited for dessert.)

The adults, they were offered their pick from the family candy jar. :)

• Upvote 1