Girl Scouts react to Boy Scouts considering girls

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And I detest the constant implication by some people that those who advocate for coed scouting "don't care about the boys", or "hate the program" or are "pandering to some external pressure group" or

Throughout this discussion, many people have cast the position on the other side as morally challenged. If you say "you know that this will hurt the boys but want to do it anyway", that is an implicat

Please many of us understand the frustration and disappointment . Let's see how many times the BSA program has become not the program I signed up for and ...   1972 - The Improved Scouting Program

Nope. It's a BSA shirt. Never seen one like that for girls before. It's through scoutstuff.org!

Are you talking about the purple "Scout at Heart" shirt on this page? http://www.scoutstuff.org/bsa/apparel/youth/t-shirts.html?p=2

Perhaps you are more expert than I at determining the gender of a t-shirt from a tiny thumbnail photo, but there is nothing that appears to be necessarily female about that shirt. The description says "youth." And even if it is a girl's shirt, "Scout at Heart" implies that it could worn by anyone who feels an affinity toward Scouting, whether they are a member or not. Like the sister of a Scout, maybe.

But maybe it would be easier to believe that this is all part of a nefarious conspiracy to acclimate us to the upcoming membership change...

And look at Scouting Magazine's topic? Coincidence?

https://scoutingmagazine.org/2017/08/first-timers-guide-camping-whole-family/

Speaking of conspiracy theories... sure, an article that gives advice to families who want to go camping can only mean that the Boy Scout program is about to become exclusively Family Camping.

(The italicized portions of this post are intended as sarcasm. I point this out due to years of experience watching people not "get" sarcasm on the Internet, so when I use it I feel compelled to hang a big sign on it.)

Are you talking about the purple "Scout at Heart" shirt on this page? http://www.scoutstuff.org/bsa/apparel/youth/t-shirts.html?p=2

Perhaps you are more expert than I at determining the gender of a t-shirt from a tiny thumbnail photo, but there is nothing that appears to be necessarily female about that shirt. The description says "youth." And even if it is a girl's shirt, "Scout at Heart" implies that it could worn by anyone who feels an affinity toward Scouting, whether they are a member or not. Like the sister of a Scout, maybe.

But maybe it would be easier to believe that this is all part of a nefarious conspiracy to acclimate us to the upcoming membership change...

Speaking of conspiracy theories... sure, an article that gives advice to families who want to go camping can only mean that the Boy Scout program is about to become exclusively Family Camping.

(The italicized portions of this post are intended as sarcasm. I point this out due to years of experience watching people not "get" sarcasm on the Internet, so when I use it I feel compelled to hang a big sign on it.)

Maybe you might want to read what I wrote and use the source I cited.

Go to Facebook.

Look for Scoutstuff.

Find the picture of the girl in the shirt.

Read the caption "Calling all Cub Scout sisters who are a Scouts at heart."

Oh, and the shirt can be had in the boy-popular colors of pink, purple and Sky blue.

You're right. It was clearly designed for boys and not girls. How silly of me.

Go to Facebook.

Look for Scoutstuff.

Find the picture of the girl in the shirt.

Read the caption "Calling all Cub Scout sisters who are a Scouts at heart."

Oh, and the shirt can be had in the boy-popular colors of pink, purple and Sky blue.

You're right. It was clearly designed for boys and not girls. How silly of me.

In fact I did want to read what you were referring to, but you didn't provide a link and I really don't do Facebook. You mentioned scoutstuff so I guess I figured that what is on scoutstuff.org would match what is on BSA's Facebook/scoutstuff. In retrospect, probably a foolish assumption.

So ok, let's say it's a girl's shirt. The description that I didn't see previously supports the supposition that I made earlier. It's not being marketed to girl-Cub Scouts and/or girl-Something Scouts. It's being marketed to "Cub Scout sisters who are a Scouts at heart." Cub Scout sisters. Sisters of Cub Scouts. Like I said before.

Of course, when they do let girls into Cub Scouts there will no doubt be shirts for girl Cub Scouts. As one would expect.

I saw that yesterday just before I went to another "special" meeting of the Key 3 in my council where the topic was, wait for it, "Girls in Scoutng!" The council folks were expecting a reasonable discussion. Instead they got an ear full from about half the attendees who were ticked off at how "secretly" BSA was pushing this agenda. The most vocal? A female Venturing advisor of an all girl unit. Go figure.

There was nearly universal support for accepting girls into the program at our district meeting; however, a lot of complaints regarding the parallel paths. We had a former U.K. leader in who stated that they tried that method and it failed in 2 years and they went full coed. Most complaints were that we don't have enough volunteers to create independent Dens and Troops and there may not be enough girls in the program to even warrant them. Basically, if you are going to go coed, go coed... don't try and have an in name only single gender attempt.

We also had complaints about the "covert" nature of the discussion... just be upfront with the proposal.

I will say the above is based upon who attended and was vocal... it is really hard to know where the majority stand in the district.

Nope. It's a BSA shirt. Never seen one like that for girls before. It's through scoutstuff.org!

Ugh, whither core competencies. If Scouting Magazine cannot find someone on staff more knowledgeable about camping, then time to pack up and go home.

I bristle when noobs create new technical terms, so a pot is hardware and clothing is software. :blink:  

Advises readers to pack light and then look at the Hardware list.

No first aid kit, no mention of bugs,...

My $0.01

There is another thread (Girl Scouts letter to BSA, which is now in Issues and Politics) that has been started for discussion of the letter dated August 21 from the national President of the GSUSA to the national President of the BSA.  I suggest that all posts regarding that letter be made in that thread, not here, in order to avoid duplication.  Thank you all for your cooperation.

I did. It is definitely not an ad from an outside source. It's clearly a post with a Scoutstuff tag. It's of an adorable little girl in pony tails that's somewhere around six years old. She is wearing a purple shirt that says Scout at Heart, inside a heart shaped graphic. Not guy stuff.

Apparently they are not allowing commentary on the article. I Asked why are posting articles on family camping with 11-16 year olds, what that is Scout aged youth and should be doing Patrol camping. I also stated that the article is in the wrong journal since all the information is basic BALOO level info, and most packs I know of do an intro to camping for their new families.

EDITED: This really concerns me because it appears that BSA IS trying to promote family camping now. I have seen, and am unfortunatley seeing now, what family camping does to troops and patrols.

Edited by Eagle94-A1