Just got word....

Just got word from our council top personnel, the decision to go all co-ed in "Boy" Scouts has been decided, but the official notice will not go out as yet.

Local option, Eagle rank is still under discussion.

I can see the end of the trail from here.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not to resurrect a tired thread but....   Over the weekend I finally got the latest issue of Scouter and got to sit down and read the article on 'Family Camping'. It was so jarringly out of place in

That's my breaking point. I'll happily integrate girls into Boy Scouts. I will not lead a family camping program.

Maybe there isn't.  If every rumor posted in this forum over the years by people who say they heard such-and-such from "top guys at council" or "someone from National" turned out to be true, the BSA w

What exactly does that mean? Boys and girls in the same troop, if that's what the CO wants? Or separate units by gender?

I'm afraid they will give us exactly as much guidance as they did with "gay scouts" and "trans boys". That is, they will tell us we have to take them and that is it. No other guidance on any other aspect of the problem.

Won't be my problem. My youngest son is Eagle in a month. I will be out of here. I wish the rest of you best of luck.

Edited by Ankylus
  • Upvote 1

So, internationally it is only the US and Saudi Arabia that it isn't co-ed.   How exactly does it work in other countries?

Quite simply it varies from country to country. Some have fully mixed troops, including mixed patrols, some have separate boys and girls troops. I could't name any but I believe some have boys and girls patrols in the same troop.

So pick a country and have a look!

If "Eagle rank is still under discussion" the proposal doesn't involve coed troops. Sounds like the "parallel" programs that Mike Survaugh was discussing at Jambo. It really is pathetic that pros are telling @@Stosh that he'll have to live with the paradox of opposite sex in his scouting for boys program, but don't worry, they'll keep that precious bird in a lock box.

I'm wondering if it would help to phase this in for a birth cohort. In other words, extend BSA pack/troop membership to females born after February 8, 2010. That will allow girls to start working the program with boys immediately, should the CO see fit as lions and wolfs. Those girls would be Webelos by 2011.

That would give @@Ankylus and others time to pack his bags, or go all soft at the site of doe-eyed crossovers.

Interesting, since there is no co-ed proposal being discussed.   There is however an discussion on making Scouting accessable for families.

Right. Everyone has their BSA decoder rings. We know what "scouting accessible for families" means.

What exactly does that mean? Boys and girls in the same troop, if that's what the CO wants? Or separate units by gender?

Where in Surbaugh's private no-share video did you see him offer CO's a choice? I saw family and girls mentioned. Nothing about CO's having a choice.

Interesting, since there is no co-ed proposal being discussed.   There is however an discussion on making Scouting accessable for families.     

@@RichardB, I cannot begin to describe the ire national is generating (not just this forum, which was only the early signs of it) by couching the notion of girls-only packs and troops in marketing doublespeak. I've already written my SE about it. But, just this weekend I've heard from a parent who heard about it at his committee meeting from a scouter who attended a council presentation. The term "family access" was patently offensive - to both folks who would have co-ed troops and those who would not want membership extended to the opposite sex.

If your colleagues want this boat to float, encourage them to abandon that term, with apologies to the nation, and speak plainly.

• Upvote 2

@@RichardB, I cannot begin to describe the ire national is generating (not just this forum, which was only the early signs of it) by couching the notion of girls-only packs and troops in marketing doublespeak. I've already written my SE about it. But, just this weekend I've heard from a parent who heard about it at his committee meeting from a scouter who attended a council presentation. The term "family access" was patently offensive - to both folks who would have co-ed troops and those who would not want membership extended to the opposite sex.

If your colleagues want this boat to float, encourage them to abandon that term, with apologies to the nation, and speak plainly.

Interesting you posted this. Just this weekend there was a small discussion of the "family" being used now in Boy Scouts and most agreed that it brings images of Webelos style camping for troops. 

Barry

• Upvote 3

Where in Surbaugh's private no-share video did you see him offer CO's a choice? I saw family and girls mentioned. Nothing about CO's having a choice.

In the video he said:

"Consider a proposed structure that would have a mechanism for bringing in family cub scouts of boy dens and girl dens, also packs that are single gender, boys and girls, offering that as an option for COs and parents."

Interesting you posted this. Just this weekend there was a small discussion of the "family" being used now in Boy Scouts and most agreed that it brings images of Webelos style camping for troops. 

Barry

That's my breaking point. I'll happily integrate girls into Boy Scouts. I will not lead a family camping program.

• Upvote 4

I am assuming that National isn't thinking that way, but just saying "Family" implies an image to inexperienced adults that doesn't align with the program manuals.

I'm not sure the image can be helped. It's hard enough changing parents perception of a patrol method program after coming from a Cub Scout experience. Now we are changing to a likely program of brother, sister, mom and dad all campout together in the Troop. Bringing along little brother and sister cub scouts is easily going to be considered an acceptable part of the program as well. qwazse is right on target.

Barry