Youth Required to Take YPT?

Over the last few years, I've seen more councils in my local area having youth (under 18) take YPT training. For instance:

• At a weekend training for patrol leaders, I was talking to a youth staff member who told me that all event staff were required to take YPT training.
  • The council west of me required its NYLT participants take Venturing YPT training for a previous course and is discussing mandating this for future courses.

Not sure if this has been a growing trend or policy I've missed somewhere. I'm not opposed to making youth in potentially liable positions be aware of youth protection policies, but I'm wondering where is the line in all of this?

This might be in prep for "family" programming change.  DC's working with family cubs will need the training.  Same for PL's who will have "family" in their patrol. We can't be having the kinds of incidents mentioned at Jambo happening in our Cub and Scout programs on a regular basis.

All our youth attending Philmont this year were required to take YPT. I think that is a Philmont requirement, but I am not sure. 

We "require" all our youth in senior leadership positions to take YPT, mostly to protect themselves when dealing with younger scouts.

I am not aware of a general requirement for all scouts to take YPT. I think it's a good idea, however, for self-protection.

Remember, there is a portion of the Boy Scout Handbook covering youth protection for youth.  It's a joining requirement for all levels.

For Venturing, there is actual YP training for youth.

I would hope @@RichardB ourlon is working on separate YP training for youth that youth leaders can present.

Over the last few years, I've seen more councils in my local area having youth (under 18) take YPT training. For instance:

• At a weekend training for patrol leaders, I was talking to a youth staff member who told me that all event staff were required to take YPT training.
  • The council west of me required its NYLT participants take Venturing YPT training for a previous course and is discussing mandating this for future courses.

Not sure if this has been a growing trend or policy I've missed somewhere. I'm not opposed to making youth in potentially liable positions be aware of youth protection policies, but I'm wondering where is the line in all of this?

My sons had to take YPT when they were counselors at summer camp. Basically speaking, they were told that since they were on salary, they  had to go  by adult rules in terms of Scouts, but were still Scouts to the adults on staff.  I think it's a good idea. The older boys should know the general YPT rules.  

Edited by perdidochas
  • Upvote 1

YPT was not a requirement for Boy Scouts for Jamboree in 2017 by National. Nor is it a National requirement for NYLT. I have not seen any literature that any High Adventure base requires it for Boy Scouts either, but it may exist. All of the above could have been required by specific councils I would imagine.

Seems odd that youth would be required to take YPT for any reason. I do think it is a good idea that they understand it however, both for the scouts and the adults protection.

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing new at all. I was an NYLT course director back in 2012 and we did Venturing YPT for the staff. As best I recall, YPT was a requirement. Why would you put kids in a position of responsibility on camp or trading staff and not require it? You are just setting the youth and yourself up for problems in the event something happens.

• 2 weeks later...

I first did YPT at age 14, working on summer camp staff. Why not encourage youth leaders to take it? In modern form, it's a half-hour of common sense.

Had to take it this year, 15, for summer camp staff. It is honestly basically half hour of common sense

For youth serving as camp staff (be it summer camp, NYLT, etc) our council began requiring that they attend YPT training... probably 10 years ago, if not more.  When I conduct a YPT training for youth staff, I try to emphasize how they need to act like adults, despite being youth.  I go into some examples of how behavior which might be acceptable around their friends in their patrol is no longer acceptable when serving as a staff member - for example, we expect the youth staff to use two-deep leadership, no roughhousing, appropriate topics of conversation, etc.  To some extent, it is "30 minutes of common sense," as a few others have phrased it.  On the other hand, its a good reminder for the youth staff, and I think its a valuable part of growing into a role of having increased responsibility and accountability.