BSA policy on Girl Scouts participating in a troop activity?

Well, then, lock all the men who you trust in a room, and tell them to figure out who is going to trade paycheck for smiles.

Maybe it will be one of the male guardians who comes to the GSUSA recruiting table.

Good luck to you.

the BSA has training for selecting new leaders called SELECTING QUALITY LEADERS

Here's a link to a copy of the training :

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/18-981.

One thing NOT to do is to sit at a committee meeting and say "We need a new Scoutmaster (or whatever position needs filling) - who wants to do it?" and then take the first person who raises their hand.

I have many bad choices for a leader when it has been done this way.

• Upvote 1

the BSA has training for selecting new leaders called SELECTING QUALITY LEADERS

Here's a link to a copy of the training :

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/18-981.

One thing NOT to do is to sit at a committee meeting and say "We need a new Scoutmaster (or whatever position needs filling) - who wants to do it?" and then take the first person who raises their hand.

I have many bad choices for a leader when it has been done this way.

Agree 100%. Each time the TC has done a search and interviewed candidates the SM has stayed a while and done wonderfully. Conversely, the few times they went with the "any volunteers" approach they have been disappointed.

I would add that your TC should put in a succession plan for the TC Chair and the SM. This is a requirements for the Unit Leader Award of Merit. I could have sworn it was a requirement for JTE at one point, but I could be wrong. At any rate, having a succession plan reduce the risk to the unit (and, therefore, your program) so that the boys are not impacted by changes in adult leadership.

I would add that your TC should put in a succession plan for the TC Chair and the SM. This is a requirements for the Unit Leader Award of Merit. I could have sworn it was a requirement for JTE at one point, but I could be wrong. At any rate, having a succession plan reduce the risk to the unit (and, therefore, your program) so that the boys are not impacted by changes in adult leadership.

Great suggestion. As a result of job transfers, we had three really good CCs leave the pack in 18 months. There was no impact to the program because each CC selected an assistant/replacement when they started just incase they were to suddenly leave the unit. That worked well for us in both the Pack and Troop.

Barry