• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I see that this was a Hobie Cat.  I used to own a 16 foot.  Somewhere around 1986 they recalled the all aluminum masts and replaced it with a fiberglass tip to help prevent exactly this scenario.  Not

Here is a link to the 1982 electrocution story recap: http://www.kltv.com/story/36082251/dead-on-lake-o-the-pines-this-was-not-the-first-time

Sounds like an Eagle project: surveying and reporting over-water power line heights in the names of the poor souls who were let down by government passing the buck.

Riddle me this, Joker, who is the person who strings power lines over marinas where sailboats are moored and/or traversing?

@@Stosh, according to what game wardens are reporting, the boys where here and hit the power lines. If you look north of the causeway you will see a small peninsula on the east side of the lake. The power lines cross there. It seems to me that the planning did not take in to account the lake level and dangers in the area (the power lines). The lake was 1ft over full pool. For Texas that can be a big deal. We only have one natural lake in the state, so lake level is a big thing boaters check before heading out. submerged trees, oil/electrical/telephones lines, other sunken objects, bridges, etc., are all issues.

• Upvote 1

I see that this was a Hobie Cat.  I used to own a 16 foot.  Somewhere around 1986 they recalled the all aluminum masts and replaced it with a fiberglass tip to help prevent exactly this scenario.  Not sure what the configuration of the boat was.

Even with the fiberglass tip you would not want to tangle with power lines or any other overhead hazards.  Constant awareness is important.

• Upvote 2

Apparently also happened in 1982 there. Four adults sailing, high water level. One died, three injured in that accident.

One would think the lines would be somehow highlighted like they are around runways. There are signs there but nothing visible from the middle of the lake. I hope the second tragedy can change that. I hope this is also a wake up call to leaders to check everything before allowing activities.

• Upvote 1