Survey on girls just received

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just got my survey. Speaking as a commie pinko proud to be a Liberal scouter EVEN I found it was one the most dishonest pre-loaded surveys corralling takers to a pre-destination. I wonder what was t

The challenge is that not every council is informing folks about their meetings. My council put a fast blurb on one district's facebook page. It's not on the district calendar, no emails were sent out

Asked my son and he says he doesn't care about girls in scouting. The only thing he complains about is youth who use filthy language and having to get up so early for scouting events. I myself will

What bothers me is why don't these families have time to spend together? What is so pressing? I doubt bsa has the data on that.

I've been kicking around the theory that all of the recent membership policy changes are more about PR and marketing than they are about actual policy. All driving towards some new vision of the BSA as a more modern, forward-thinking, tech-friendly (STEM), all-family-oriented organization that is fun, adventurous, inclusive, and welcoming to all (or most anyway). 

With that theory in mind, let's look at this seemingly dwindling supply of family time. Whether it's real or not (I think it's not but that's just me), maybe the BSA has never-the-less heard from some parents that it's just too hard to make it all work, getting to various activities, sports, clubs, etc., and the BSA wants to appear to be helpful in this regard. Again, look at it from a PR/marketing angle. It doesn't matter if the problem the BSA is offering to solve is real or not. It's the perception in the minds of potential new customers (families) that could be driving all of this. We actually saw some of this mentioned in Surbaugh's presentation, about how current non-scouting families might be more persuaded to join if the whole family could participate. 

Maybe the idea of co-ed as a means to help the membership numbers problem isn't actually about boosting numbers with girls added in. Rather, it's about boosting numbers of boys and girls by positioning the BSA as this modern organization that has moved beyond the restrictive membership policies of old and as a new version of scouting that is more compatible with modern views on inclusion. Forget whether any of that is true or not, just look at it as a marketing strategy intended to boost membership and profits by creating a renewed public viewpoint of the BSA. 

How a customer views a company is a huge part of marketing. And if the BSA is making all of these changes in order to change the perceptions that "customers" have of the BSA, I think it stands to reason that this all could be more about marketing and public relations and less whether or not families really do need a more easily accessible program.

All of that's fine but it's a shotgun approach to marketing. The most successful companies find their niche and work it. Budweiser doesn't sell shoes. They don't make sodas. They make beer. Even then they limit how many lines they have.

Yes, yes, I am aware large companies like InBev own many breweries, soda makers and the like. They point is they don't try to be everything to everyone. Bsa seems like they're trying to do just that.

I find all the marketing mumbo-jumbo nauseating.

It's delusional to consider a Cubbette program without considering one thing: Cubs grow up and crossover onto a troop. So what would Cubbettes cross over to? Boyettes? Even burka-laden Saudis would think that stupid.

I also find the paranoia about losing the "single sex safe space" overblown. However, I like you guys, and would rather not have your boys lose you on account of this.

I'd rather them spend time with tons of co-Ed scouts from all over the world and put a BSA membership decision off a couple of more years until they've heard the good, bad, and ugly from them.

In the meantime, I'd rather have honest partnerships that directs concerned families to Campfire USA, and elevates whatever recognition their program delivers.

And, frankly, I'd rather NESA would shut up about Eagle already. We need more marketing of First Class scouts.

• Upvote 2

Segregation, now known as safe spaces, is a hard nut to crack. How can it be a safe place when others don't want you there? GS/USA didn't want me as a leader, so be it. Daughters joined anyway. I really don't want to be where I am not wanted. Organizations that market to a certain segment of society target that niche and do better than those who try being all things to all people. There is a moral issue with certain aspects. A boys organization designed for boys need to be open to all boys regardless. If an organization is designed for Christian boys I know that unless I fit the criteria I will need to find a better fit elsewhere. Their program doesn't fit my needs. I have no right to force them to do so. I learned a long time ago that picking my friends is better if we all start out on the same page.