Survey on girls just received

Just saw this interesting video from Jambo with Surbaugh talking about girls in scouting:

Interesting way to address the question with some interesting "facts".

• Yes, Cubs was originally built around the stay-home mom. But according to BSA's own stats, since 1982 the majority of the volunteer leaders have been men. No program change needed. Men started getting more involved in their kids' lives and volunteered in Cubs.

• 75% of all women work? Oddly enough the government's own stats say differently.

• Parents don't TAKE ENOUGH TIME to spend with their kids. It has NOTHING to do with *IF* they have the time, they simply don't MAKE THE EFFORT to get involved. As Scouters we have seen this first hand.

• They survey the parents about a program that affects kids. Why not ask the kids if the THEY want to be in a program with their sibling? 

• Pressure? ROFL, wait until he has to rely on all those new parents to step up and fill the vacuum left by all the parents and Scouts that want to keep Boy Scouts for boys. That giant sucking sound you hear is the void good ol' Mike will have to fill.

Here is the money statement: "You don't do something because everyone else is doing it. You do it because it is the right thing to do."

He, and the national leadership, honestly think going coed is the "right thing to do". They are constructing the field survey to back them up in the fallacious position.

I've got my resignation all set to turn in to my CO...the moment BSA makes it official. I will resign from Boy Scouts but will stay with Venturing...unless they screw that up too.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just got my survey. Speaking as a commie pinko proud to be a Liberal scouter EVEN I found it was one the most dishonest pre-loaded surveys corralling takers to a pre-destination. I wonder what was t

The challenge is that not every council is informing folks about their meetings. My council put a fast blurb on one district's facebook page. It's not on the district calendar, no emails were sent out

Asked my son and he says he doesn't care about girls in scouting. The only thing he complains about is youth who use filthy language and having to get up so early for scouting events. I myself will

My take on this whole issue is that no amount of change, accommodation or appeasement will position the BSA for growth and stability.  There is nothing we can do that will earn the BSA forgiveness for what certain vocal outsiders perceive as our sins. 

They hate the BSA and want to see it out of business.  We can allow girls, then others will say the uniforms are too military.  We get rid of the uniforms and they say the power structure isn't inclusive enough.  We fix that and they say we should drop God.  We do that and oh well, nice try, but you guys are just damaged goods.  

I've got my resignation all set to turn in to my CO...the moment BSA makes it official. I will resign from Boy Scouts but will stay with Venturing...unless they screw that up too.

Why wouldn't you wait to see the Interest level?  You know I thought the same with the "gay" results, but you know to date I still haven't had a gay boy ask to join.

• Upvote 1

I just got my survey. Speaking as a commie pinko proud to be a Liberal scouter EVEN I found it was one the most dishonest pre-loaded surveys corralling takers to a pre-destination. I wonder what was the point other than to publish support statistics to a decision obviously made. Girls are coming and I am sure that BSA, once the attaboys in the press and social media are over, will make a total hash of it.

I don't think we're going to see much political division on this point. I'm a proud democrat and I agree the survey appears designed to drive toward a particular outcome. 

I said in another post that I don't get why they even bother with surveys. If they're not steering them towards a desired result, they simply ignore the results they do get anyway. 

So you will resign he Boy Scout program if they add girls but stay with the program that has girls?

No offense but I cannot follow your logic.

Why wouldn't you wait to see the Interest level?  You know I thought the same with the "gay" results, but you know to date I still haven't had a gay boy ask to join.

I resigned my position as a result of the 2013 and 2015 membership changes and will become an ASM. I was also asked to head up a Venture crew which I accepted. However, if this change happens I will resign my ASM slot and focus on Venturing.

So you will resign he Boy Scout program if they add girls but stay with the program that has girls?

No offense but I cannot follow your logic.

I cannot support a program I do not fully believe in or support. Some might not be able to understand how I can support Venturing but not Boy Scouts. Simply put Venturing is supposed to be coed and I fully support its mission. Boy Scouts is supposed to be single sex, use the patrol method and allow boys to develop. If that is no longer the mission of Boy Scouts, I won't support that program.

Boy Scouts continues to be the whipping boy of the left. It seems to keep apologizing for being who they are. After a while you get tired of constantly having to change to appease others who really have no intention of becoming part of your organization OR helping to make it a better place. They simple what you to change because they don't like what you stand for.

There's a great quote from a character named "Fletcher" in the movie Outlaw Josey Wales which is quite appropriate here. Pretty much sums up how I feel about what BSA and good ol' Mike is trying to sell us here.

Edited by Col. Flagg
  • Upvote 2

Some will say that it is not the program they signed up for. And they would be correct.

Some will say that it now a program detrimental to boys. And they are correct. even the CSE states that research shows boys do better in a single gender environment.

Some will say that they do not want to be involved with units that are "pushing the envelope." I admit I am uncomfortable with one Scouter willing to ignore a "separate but equal" program and push to fully integrate.

Some will say they are concerned with Youth Protection issues. I know I am. Again I had one parent already talking about how to get around not having a female Scouter present by calling it a 'family camp out" and with just the dad present. PLUS I have seen first hand what just the accusation of some impropriety can do to someone.

Some will say they do not want to deal with having to keep an eye on the Scouts 24/7.

Some will say they are tired of the controversy and see this policy as continuing the controversy, and taking time and resources away from taking care of our boys, as well as girls.

Some will say they are tired of being lied to by national, and do not want to be involed with an organization that cannot keep their own values.

• Upvote 1

I resigned my position as a result of the 2013 and 2015 membership changes and will become an ASM. I was also asked to head up a Venture crew which I accepted. However, if this change happens I will resign my ASM slot and focus on Venturing.

I cannot support a program I do not fully believe in or support. Some might not be able to understand how I can support Venturing but not Boy Scouts. Simply put Venturing is supposed to be coed and I fully support its mission. Boy Scouts is supposed to be single sex, use the patrol method and allow boys to develop. If that is no longer the mission of Boy Scouts, I won't support that program.

Boy Scouts continues to be the whipping boy of the left. It seems to keep apologizing for being who they are. After a while you get tired of constantly having to change to appease others who really have no intention of becoming part of your organization OR helping to make it a better place. They simple what you to change because they don't like what you stand for.

There's a great quote from a character named "Fletcher" in the movie Outlaw Josey Wales which is quite appropriate here. Pretty much sums up how I feel about what BSA and good ol' Mike is trying to sell us here.

I do agree with everything you said.  I am ok with the Cub Scout Change, I would hope they'd leave Boy Scout alone.  Venturing they can join.

• Upvote 1

Asked my son and he says he doesn't care about girls in scouting.

The only thing he complains about is youth who use filthy language and having to get up so early for scouting events.

I myself will just adapt to what comes.

Cheers!

• Upvote 3

Sorry Col. I drive a pickup, the Mrs. drives the SUV,and she thinks coed Boy Scouts it's a stupid idea too. Her words not min

I forgot to mention, she too has her permit to carry.

Edited by Stosh
  • Upvote 1