How are Pack numbers determined

The Council should know what numbers are available. If you have a preference, you should let them know. If it's available, they should let you have it. If you don't have a preference, they just pull an available number out of the hat. That's been my experience.

Years ago the council in which I now active and also in my council as youth the unit number had some relationship to where the unit was located. The north end was 300s in the main town were double digits, the 100s to the south excreta., for example.

Then mergers came and then came the fun of having two units with the same number. Solved by the both get to use the their original number but on official paperwork, one got a 40XX added to the old number. Now new units get what ever numbers is available but they try to keep the old geographic scheme in place if possible.

As a Council we have a system that somehow is supposed to work. Or maybe it did work at sometime. We have four Districts, for the most part all the Units in our District start with #1. 101,102. ... And so on. Don't know how but we have a 378 a 474, and 472.

The other Districts are #2,3, and 6???

New units are asked to pick a number in the 100's. Where possible I try and get them to fill in the blanks.

At present we have a 101 ,102,104 and a 111. So unless there is reason we will try and make the next new unit 103. Not that it is any big deal.

Eamonn