Wearing Jamboree patches?

Hey gang; I had a new issue come up that has me a little befuddled, so as always, I come to you for insight. I don't have any experience with patch trading or collecting beyond the patches I have saved from my own Scouting days, so I am pretty much clueless in this regard.

A boy I know just got home from Jamboree (had a great time, memories for life, etc.). As a gift to me, he brought me the special lodge patch issued by my OA lodge, as well as a collectible council strip, also from my own council. I was very grateful (he's one thoughtful kid), but then he asked me if it was permissible to wear Jamboree-issue patches on the uniform. I could only tell him that I had no idea, but that I would find out ASAP.

Are Jamboree Council patches and lodge flaps just meant to be collected and admired, or can they be worn as long as they are appropriate to your location? And if so, must one have attended Jamboree to wear them? Both myself and this young Scout are eager to know; he wants to wear his, and he brought me the pair specifically so that I could wear them too, but we are both uniform purists and will only use them if it follows established uniforming protocols, regardless of whether it means one, both, or neither of us can use them. Any input is, as always, appreciated. Thanks!

Yes. Your scout may sew on the favorite of each to his field uniform.

The other ones can be sewn on the back of his MB sash or a brag best.

Tell him a stranger on the Internet said so.

• Upvote 1

I still wear a uniform with the Jambo council strip on it. No one says anything about it. As long as it is for your local council I wouldn't have a problem with it. I wear the council strip issued in 1989 on my current uniform because I am too lazy to get a new one and sew it on. I also have a 1960's uniform with the correct community strip, PC incorrect lodge patch which was current at the time, and all the correct patches for the era. No one complains an I have loaned it out to others for special events. Put them on your uniform and wear them proudly and if anyone says anything about it, tell them about the thoughtful scout that gave them to you. If that doesn't satisfy them, ignore them. No problem in my book.

• Upvote 1

I think the uniform and insignia guide says this is all permissible. You can even wear a Jambo patch in the temporary spot, though I personally would feel odd wearing my 1977 Morerain State Park patch 40 years after the fact. I think that's stretching the term "temporary" just a bit much to show off I was at Jambo. ;) CSPs or OA flaps past or present are all valid.

Edited by Col. Flagg
  • Upvote 1

Okay, so I get that the boy can wear his patches, which makes sense since he attended the events; it seems completely right.

But as for me, it's okay then to wear patches from my council and lodge even if I didn't attend the event? I wouldn't wear the official Jambo patch, naturally, but then a council strip or OA flap is okay for me to wear even if I didn't go to Jamboree myself? I actually wonder the same about another patch set I got two years ago; another Scout gave me an OA flap and matching pocket cover patch from NOAC (both exceptionally handsome patches), but since I didn't go to NOAC, I haven't felt right about wearing them. But they are from my own lodge, and they are so attractive - if I can wear them, I will. Heck, even if the official language is just vague enough to get away with it, I may wear them anyway and go with Stosh's approach - tell the story and ignore the naysayers.  ;)

As long as you are an OA member and the patch is for that lodge, (same for the council) any historical patch is okay.

I think the uniform and insignia guide says this is all permissible. You can even wear a Jambo patch in the temporary spot, though I personally would feel odd wearing my 1977 Morerain State Park patch 40 years after the fact. I think that's stretching the term "temporary" just a bit much to show off I was at Jambo. ;) CSPs or OA flaps past or present are all valid.

Or if one is too lazy to sew on a different temporary patch all the time, they can have a patch from ScoutFest 1993 on their pocket.  :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

But as for me, it's okay then to wear patches from my council and lodge even if I didn't attend the event? 

As far as CSPs and OA flaps, it is my understanding that you can wear any such patch even though you didn't attend. Personally I don't wear patches for events I didn't attend, but that's me. I want to avoid that conversation, "Hey how did you like xxx?" and my reply "Oh, I didn't go, I just like the patch." But that's just my position.

I think it would be fine for you to wear them. Don't recall any rules against it, with the exception of wearing things you didn't earn (knots, LNT, WB scarf, etc.).

• Upvote 1

Thanks all for your replies. I haven't ever worn a patch from an event I did attend, but this is an exceptional case, and since the patch is from my own lodge and council, I think I will go ahead and honor the wishes of the young Scout who gave it to me. I won't wear it for more than a few months though; that way my Scout will feel honored while I avoid the nit-pickers who may question my right to wear the thing. After a decent amount of time I'll just pop it off and stitch on the regular patch.

THIS is why it pays to know how to sew.

Stop and think a minute, what would the scout think if those patches ended up in a shoe box on your shelf?  In this case the only thing matters at this point is letting the boy know tangibly how you feel about the gift.  The others don't matter, they have problems of their own if they think this is a big deal.

I'm going to sew on a lodge flap from my present lodge that was available about two years before I joined.  It's very simple, well designed, and promotes council camps.  It's too great not to wear.

@@Col. Flagg, please consider sewing on that '77 jambo patch!   I'm not a jambo person and probably will never go, but I still enjoying seeing those old jambo patches.  True scouting legacy.

Edited by desertrat77

Again I would not wear it because i didn't go. But I also have enough "bling" that it would not matter.

May I offer another option of making it meaningful?  I have some very special patches framed and hanging in my office at home. My overseas collections, gifts from Scouts and friends, and some special ones I have earned/received over the years are on display.

• Upvote 2

I like that idea a lot, and I have seen it nicely done before too. 

I have decided to wear the patches for a few months to complement his uniform, which already has the new patches on it. But after a few months, I will switch them out and frame them nicely, making sure to show him how much his gift means to me. I think this will be the best solution, and seeing as most of the leaders I work with don't even know what the trained patch is, I think I will be able to avoid any nit-picking patch police.  :rolleyes:

• Upvote 2

@@Col. Flagg, please consider sewing on that '77 jambo patch!   I'm not a jambo person and probably will never go, but I still enjoying seeing those old jambo patches.  True scouting legacy.

I trot out the yellow necker every once in a while. The patches are in a special case along with my 1960 jambo memorabilia. The unit leaders bring out some of their stuff for the guys to see during open house or COHs.

• Upvote 1