Good news, all.  Our new troop has been approved by BSA!  Our 1st troop meeting is scheduled for 9/18.  Class B t-shirts have been ordered and we're off to the races!  Thank you all again for your help and feedback. 

Well, you're in for it now!

Have fun. Be novel. Grow.

Edited by qwazse

Good news, all.  Our new troop has been approved by BSA!  Our 1st troop meeting is scheduled for 9/18.  Class B t-shirts have been ordered and we're off to the races!  Thank you all again for your help and feedback.

Hi, just a few tips. I joined a new troop and it was a little hectic in the beginning. Make sure the adult leaders are trained and know what they’re doing before the first meeting. I would suggest having your budget and all worked out, possibly make the schedule for the scouts since you are starting in the beginning of the ‘scouting year’ for this year only.

Hi, just a few tips. I joined a new troop and it was a little hectic in the beginning. Make sure the adult leaders are trained and know what they’re doing before the first meeting. I would suggest having your budget and all worked out, possibly make the schedule for the scouts since you are starting in the beginning of the ‘scouting year’ for this year only.

Thanks Brian.  Luckily, all of the ASMs are trained.  I'm "the rookie" ... still have some training classes to take.  ASM's will be out-of-pocket initially (class B's, flags, website, etc.) to get the troop up and running.  We'll reimburse ourselves as dues come in.  1st troop meeting is scheduled for 9/18, 1st campout is scheduled for weekend of 9/30.  Exciting stuff!  Thanks again...

Thanks Brian.  Luckily, all of the ASMs are trained.  I'm "the rookie" ... still have some training classes to take.  ASM's will be out-of-pocket initially (class B's, flags, website, etc.) to get the troop up and running.  We'll reimburse ourselves as dues come in.  1st troop meeting is scheduled for 9/18, 1st campout is scheduled for weekend of 9/30.  Exciting stuff!  Thanks again...

This is my opinion, but I personally wouldn’t have my troop camping about a WEEK (emphasis) after the first meeting. You’ll be pulling gear and getting ready the 2nd meeting (assuming they’ll be weekly), doesn’t sound so exciting. I would personally teach them how to pack first, how to camp, spend the first few weeks learning... most new scouts probably haven’t camped before and have no idea what will be going on.

Again, this is my opinion.