Sad Day, and a question

This morning I attended the funeral of one of our first year scouts who died tragically on a family vacation. The family asked the troop members and leaders to wear their uniforms to the funeral. His death will be a loss to the troop and not just his family. He was a good scout and will be missed.

We will probably do something at the troop level, like hang up a memorial in the scout house or something like that.

My question is whether there is some kind of posthumous or honorary award, recognition, rank advancement or something like that available from within the scouting program? The family would really like that, I think.

There absolutely is. It's called the Spirit of the Eagle Award:

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/512-108.pdf

While I mourn with you and your troop the loss of this young man, I trust the experience will enrich your lives as you contemplate the blessings you were able to enjoy through that young Scout during his tenure with you. All my love and prayers to the boy's family.

• Upvote 1

Thank you, both for the link and the kind words. We will see to this.

Sadly, my brother's unit had to deal with this issue. Contact your council exec and they can expedite it for you. The paperwork is all at the council level. Thankfully his council was able to get this done fast. I do not recall if national was involved or not, but his CE was the key.

Condolences. 

• Upvote 1

Praying for you all.

You may want to look into the possibility of planting a tree on your CO's grounds in the lad's memory. That meant a lot to the mom when whe drove by the property. It meant a lot to me when Son #2 and his friends stood under it for a picture at his ECoH.

Also, this advice from a mom at our CO: "Tell the boys to always remember the mother." Meaning, make plans to stop by the house on occasion, visit before you go off to or come back from college or war, drop of flowers. Just sit a spell and catch her up on your life. Make a commitment to do that now, so you will never forget this duty. Invite to CoH's, but understand if she declines.

• Upvote 1

How this process is carried out will have a major impact on the scouts and scouters involved.  After 50+ years I still remember my best friend from my youth (his dad is my Godfather) died from a mosquito bite he received at Boy Scout WINTER camp.  He was an only child.  I vividly remember to this day going to the wake and seeing him in his full uniform.  It wasn't until recently that I learned that his dad was a WWII and Koren veteran and a 1936 Eagle Scout.

My best wishes to the scouts and scouters and family.  This young man and father are buried in the same cemetery as my parents and gets a visit every time I visit them.  This kind of loss sometimes takes a whole lifetime to heal... I'm still waiting.

Peace to you all.

• Upvote 1

There absolutely is. It's called the Spirit of the Eagle Award:

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/512-108.pdf

While I mourn with you and your troop the loss of this young man, I trust the experience will enrich your lives as you contemplate the blessings you were able to enjoy through that young Scout during his tenure with you. All my love and prayers to the boy's family.

YES

We had a young man pass away late last year and this is what we did

• Upvote 1

I am glad to hear it; hopefully the process goes smoothly so that the family can draw comfort from this honor during their time of grief. My thoughts and prayers are with them, as well as with you and your troop. All the best.

Edited by The Latin Scot
  • Upvote 1