"By the way, does Scouter.com cover the whole of the US or just a region?"

It covers the 50 states, the District of Columbia and all territories and protectorates of the USA including Puerto Rico, Guam and a little place called Australia. Oh . . . Canada is included as well.

My guess is we have about 15 different states posting here. This is not an official site, just people on here like to share scouting stories and ideas, or they just like to whine about the BSA.

Hey dozer - Im here too! You know - oz emu... australian bird...oh dear. There was another here somewhere. Tasmanian bloke.

Thanks dan I was away.

Welcome Phil, is essex near wessex? met a scout fellowship bloke who is a city councillor in wessex (i think) at our jamboree early this year.

Is the jamboree you mention a national event? We got 12 000 to ours and that was a bit down. Got 16 000 two jams ago.

Do your changes include a uniform that resembles a fast food outlets attire? We are doing that soon. Very depressing. If you have gone that way how has it worked?

Ozemu, sorry I missed you, I'm fairly new here, not to scouting though. I talk to Aussies on another site One of them grew up about 50 miles from here, and now works for a part of your Government.

In another tread a large cantankerous Gent, is stating his dislike of the new English Scout uniforms.

Do you know if the youth members had any input as to the design?

As compared to the old uniforms which do the youth members prefer?

I have to admit at being a little shocked at how cheap they are now compared to the old Scout uniform.( The long sleeved green shirt, and dress type pants.)

On the other hand I nearly fell of my chair when I seen the price of patrol tents. We used all Nijer tents for the patrols and used the fly as a dining tent. That would cost 730 pound per patrol.I know that they last for ever but at that price they would have to!!

Last time I was down Buckingham Palace Road, I looked in at the Scout Shop. They seem to be doing a much better job of catering to all sorts of outdoor enthusiasts, not just Scouts. Needless to say my son and I left a lot poorer then when we came in. At that time they had some really good buys on compasses.

Keep in touch.

Eamonn

"Do you know if the youth members had any input as to the design?"

Does that matter? If your son told you that he was going to his Uncle Bob's wedding wearing a jock strap and a tank top would you say, "Well, if that's what you want to wear" or would you have a discussion with him about the idea of dressing well?

Eamonn said:" Do you know if any of the youth members had any input into the design?"

Fat Old Guy said:"Or would you have a discussion with him a about the idea of dressing well."

I would hope that the youth input and the discussion would lead to something that would be acceptable to all.

Maybe what the Fat Old Guy meant to say was more along the lines of "Have him sit down and listen to my idea of what being well dressed is."?

Eamonn

"Do you know if the youth members had any input as to the design?" Yes, there was quite a lot of consultation about it as the SA wanted to go for style of uniform that the young people where, in general, happy to wear. Four years ago at the ESsex Jamboree we had a parade of the possible options and it created quite a bit of interest on site!

"is essex near wessex?" No. Wessex is an old name - not actually a county any more- but still used to describe the area of south-west england around dorset, somerset, bath, dorchester etc. Essex is to the north east of london, parts of essex are the London suburbs.

The Essex Jamboree is an International event but run jointly by Essex County Scouts and Girlguiding Essex. We have 6000 young people and their leaders coming so for County event it's one of the biggest organised in the UK. At the last count about 18 countries represented. Eurojam will be about 10,000 to 12,000 people.

Hey Bob White

The worst part about what you said is that Her That Must Be Obeyed along with a good number of Scouter's in our Council would agree with you.

Phil

It is nice to have you in the forum. It's nice to hear an English accent.

Eamonn

Phil, thanks so much for posting. I can say that our Venturing Crew has been "Blessed" with a member from your great country. Her father lives here in the US and she made the pond crossing last year to join our Venturing Crew. It made the headlines here in local newspapers and she has been an invaluable asset to our Crew. She has exploded our diversity, and expanded our vision of World Scouting. Keep up the Great Work!

ASM1

PS. We are planning a trip to Scout Base UK and Gilwell Park in the near future.

• 2 weeks later...

When you say Scout Base UK do you mean Baden Powell House in London? I mention it because ScoutBase Uk is the official Scout Association resources site in the UK. www.scoutbase.org.uk Gillwell been several times, nice site convenient for sightseeing trips and only a short walk from being able to stand in the Greenwich Meridian line.