President Trump to visit 2017 Jamboree

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best Jambo guest speakers are the ones who can be motivational, inspirational, and relatable. Trump was none of those things tonight. He just used this as yet another tour stop to brag about his w

I saw Trump's speech online. Hardly seems fair Scouters are not allowed to politic in their uniform but he basically does a campaign speech. Talked a bit about Loyalty but seems challenged on Honesty

Snark engaged:   Ronald Reagan didn't show up to the two Jamborees held during his time in office either.  And we all know why Reagan really dissed the scouts.   Snark disengaged.   Instead of p

Now he didn't want to win? It was lucky? What else can we say to take away from the legendary defeat of Clinton?

Truth!

Loses party nomination in '08 to neophyte Obama + loses election '16 to non-politician Trump = completely unelectable*

*I don't count that gimme US senate seat from NY. 

Edited by desertrat77

Now he didn't want to win? It was lucky? What else can we say to take away from the legendary defeat of Clinton?

Who said he was "lucky"? Neither I nor @@ghjim (both of us suggested maybe Trump didn't/doesn't really want the job) said anything about luck or attempted to take anything away from his win. 

For my part, I was referring to Trump's own words, that he liked his previous life better. 

Why does everything have to be interpreted as a jab at the guy? 

"The White House is a dump"  <~~~ name the President that said that then wonder why anyone should take the right wing's complaints about Bill and Hillary seriously if they insist on continuing to support this man after insulting the "people's house".

• Upvote 2

"The White House is a dump"  <~~~ name the President that said that then wonder why anyone should take the right wing's complaints about Bill and Hillary seriously if they insist on continuing to support this man after insulting the "people's house".

I think he was referring to the condition of the WH, not what it represents.  None other than Harry Truman, a darn good Democrat, said "The White House is the finest prison in the world."

Edited by desertrat77

Boy Scouts Refute Trump’s Claim That They Told Him He Made ‘Greatest Speech’ Ever

https://www.mediaite.com/online/boy-scouts-refute-trumps-claim-that-they-told-him-he-made-greatest-speech-ever/

Those Calls to Trump? White House Admits They Didn’t Happen

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/02/us/politics/those-calls-to-trump-white-house-admits-they-didnt-happen.html

I think he was referring to the condition of the WH, not what it represents.  None other than Harry Truman, a darn good Democrat, said "The White House is the finest prison in the world."

Trump: "I love the White House, one of the most beautiful buildings (homes) I have ever seen. But Fake News said I called it a dump - TOTALLY UNTRUE"

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/892920397162848257

Trump: "I love the White House, one of the most beautiful buildings (homes) I have ever seen. But Fake News said I called it a dump - TOTALLY UNTRUE"

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/892920397162848257

Well, I'm confused.  Not the first time.

Nonetheless, I still get a chuckle from Harry S.'s quote.  A man who spoke his mind and didn't give a hoot what anyone thought about it.

Well, I'm confused.  Not the first time.

Nonetheless, I still get a chuckle from Harry S.'s quote.  A man who spoke his mind and didn't give a hoot what anyone thought about it.

Are you making a Truman/Trump comparison here??  Comparing a Democrat with a Republican?  No wonder you're confused.

Are you making a Truman/Trump comparison here??  Comparing a Democrat with a Republican?  No wonder you're confused.

Not comparing.  Just pointing out that Trump isn't the first president to criticize the WH (or be accused of it).   Harry definitely criticized it, and I admire his candor on that and many other topics.

Edited by desertrat77

Let's quote sources that don't have an agenda against the guy. The NYT? Really? Why not CNN or MSNBC? C'mon guys at least try to find a credible news source, not ones that slipped Hillary the questions prior to the debates.

Edited by Back Pack

World Jambo is in a couple of years. What's the protocol for those in terms of presidential invites? Think Trump will be asked to speak?

Over all I would be surprised if he wasn't. That said it's not as straight forward as a BSA jamboree.

To begin with it is pretty standard for the head of state or head of government or other senior representative of the host nation to be asked to speak at some point. The Japanese prime minister did in 2015, the King of Sweden did in 2011, Price William in 2007 and the king of Thailand in 2003.

However.... this is the first jamboree that is being jointly hosted by multiple countries and given the Canadian and Mexican input they will have to consider the protocols to make sure that all 3 are included in that respect.

Finally while POTUS is honorary president of BSA he is not honorary president of WOSM, so there is no obligation in that respect and ultimately this is WOSM's call.

My guess is that he will almost certainly be invited and probably speak but the format may be different to your national jamboree.

Let's quote sources that don't have an agenda against the guy. The NYT? Really? Why not CNN or MSNBC? C'mon guys at least try to find a credible news source, not ones that slipped Hillary the questions prior to the debates.

The source about the phone calls being nonexistent was White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders.  The Times reported what she said.

There's enough media spin that I now generally ignore most of it and do independent research on issues of interest to me.  I weigh both spins and then decide what might have actually happened.  Often times it easy to pick out the clearly spun stories.  One has to read carefully, often word by word, to get the nuance of multiple interpretations to determine what may have really happened.  Every disclaimer is suspect.  "A reliable source..." could be Joe Sunday standing on the street corner.  Reliable often can be boiled down to "somebody".

This is how the media hypes the facts to get their ratings and thus more ad money.  Media is a business just like any other business.Journalism left the building a long time ago.  That's why they call it media, not journalism.  Those words don't mean the same.

• Upvote 1