President Trump to visit 2017 Jamboree

Odd that BSA didn't feel the need to distance themselves from the band that made political statements to the boys earlier in the week. So much for non-partisanship. ;)

Or could it be that the parents trust their kids to hear something, not whine about it and make up their own mind without complaining to the principal about it. :rolleyes:

I didn't hear about the band.

I heard from one of my scouts that is there that he was offended by the speech but kept quiet.  I don't think it is just Adults that are reacting.  The boys don't know what they are allowed to say or not.  I told him to just be respectful and have fun.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best Jambo guest speakers are the ones who can be motivational, inspirational, and relatable. Trump was none of those things tonight. He just used this as yet another tour stop to brag about his w

I saw Trump's speech online. Hardly seems fair Scouters are not allowed to politic in their uniform but he basically does a campaign speech. Talked a bit about Loyalty but seems challenged on Honesty

Snark engaged:   Ronald Reagan didn't show up to the two Jamborees held during his time in office either.  And we all know why Reagan really dissed the scouts.   Snark disengaged.   Instead of p

I didn't hear about the band.

I heard from one of my scouts that is there that he was offended by the speech but kept quiet.  I don't think it is just Adults that are reacting.  The boys don't know what they are allowed to say or not.  I told him to just be respectful and have fun.

Yeah, the band front man made several remarks during their set that were quite political and inappropriate.

I have Scouts and adults on the ground there. What I am hearing is that folks at home are the ones upset. The boys don't care one way or the other from what I am hearing. The only thing I heard was a group of Scouts from the west coast were less-than-Scoutlike to a group from south because they thought they were Trump supporters.

Correct, but absent today's statement, their silence could be viewed as a tacit endorsement.  

And yes, it would have been nice to see the words narcissistic, egomaniacal, and unhinged in the statement, but that might be crossing some line.  :-)

I think the CSE went as far as he could be reasonably expected to go.  Far enough but not too far.  Balance in all things, that's my philosophy.

You can assure your Scouts that teenagers are not the only ones at a loss about what to make of a lot of the things this president says, and how to react.  Most adults are in the same boat.  A lot of things he says and does have never been said or done by a president before.  Some people see that as a good thing, some don't.  (I think people can figure out which category I am in.)

You can assure your Scouts that teenagers are not the only ones at a loss about what to make of a lot of the things this president says, and how to react.  Most adults are in the same boat.

ROFL...I would say 50% maybe.

Me neither.

Let's see if I understand

In 2017, the Boy Scouts of America apologized for the bad behavior of the President of the United States who attended the Jamboree.

In 2010, the Boy Scouts of America did NOT apologize for the bad behavior of their scouts and scouters towards the President of the United States who did not attend Jamboree.

:blink:

Bonus: a link to 2010 Jambo comments

http://scouter.com/index.php/topic/8230-obama-not-speaking-in-person-at-jambo/

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 1

At this rate, I would think it would be more appropriate for BSA apologizing for Citizenship merit badges instead.  What in the world do they think Citizenship in this country is all about anyway? 

• Upvote 2

At this rate, I would think it would be more appropriate for BSA apologizing for Citizenship merit badges instead.  What in the world do they think Citizenship in this country is all about anyway?

It appears they think it's about the same thing that I think it's about.

Stosh, do you REALLY think it's appropriate for a president to make a divisive political speech, and to demean and insult people, at a Jamboree? Can you really think that?

I think we DID about 8 months ago.

I was referring to the next election, if he makes it that far. We ARE going to have another one, right? I mean, these days one never knows what's going to change suddenly.

Edited by NJCubScouter