President Trump to visit 2017 Jamboree

There are tons of posts about it throughout social media. I just thought it was interesting to note that in looking at BSA official social media accounts, it was as if the President wasn't even there at all. 

But that's BSA. They usually tend to miss the mark in their communications to people. Why would one expect this situation to be any different? Scoutingwire usually has some inane thing about so-and-so earning a Silver Otter or something rather than the pertinent Scouting news of the day. They post what THEY think is relevant...which rarely is to anyone outside of the inner sanctum.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best Jambo guest speakers are the ones who can be motivational, inspirational, and relatable. Trump was none of those things tonight. He just used this as yet another tour stop to brag about his w

I saw Trump's speech online. Hardly seems fair Scouters are not allowed to politic in their uniform but he basically does a campaign speech. Talked a bit about Loyalty but seems challenged on Honesty

Snark engaged:   Ronald Reagan didn't show up to the two Jamborees held during his time in office either.  And we all know why Reagan really dissed the scouts.   Snark disengaged.   Instead of p

Surbaugh has issued another statement: http://scoutingwire.org/chief-perspective-presidential-visit/

Here's a bit of it: 

I want to extend my sincere apologies to those in our Scouting family who were offended by the political rhetoric that was inserted into the jamboree. That was never our intent. The invitation for the sitting U.S. President to visit the National Jamboree is a long-standing tradition that has been extended to the leader of our nation that has had a Jamboree during his term since 1937. It is in no way an endorsement of any person, party or policies. For years, people have called upon us to take a position on political issues, and we have steadfastly remained non-partisan and refused to comment on political matters. We sincerely regret that politics were inserted into the Scouting program.

Surbaugh has issued another statement: http://scoutingwire.org/chief-perspective-presidential-visit/

Well, that's not placating anyone who wants BSA's key three to denounce the man.

But, I don't look for palliatives from national.

Anybody who does, I refer them to my rule #1 (don't ask for a rule).

As far as I'm concerned this is between scouts and their SMs. I'm looking forward to hearing all about Jambo from the scout from our troop who's there. As the week continues, he'll have a lot more interesting stuff to go over. Hopefully it will make a positive impact on the troop (maybe even the crew) program. Part of that may or may not involve a letter or card from the troop to present or former POTUS's. His call, not mine.

Other SM's and Advisors may act differently with their youth. Their call, not mine.

Here's a bit of it: 

Odd that BSA didn't feel the need to distance themselves from the band that made political statements to the boys earlier in the week. So much for non-partisanship. ;)

Or could it be that the parents trust their kids to hear something, not whine about it and make up their own mind without complaining to the principal about it. :rolleyes:

The good news he quickly managed to do/say something that takes this event off the front page. 

I had three siblings so I knew if I got in trouble that sometime in the next 24 hours one of them would do something to take the heat off me. 

I think the response from BSA is good and measured.  There are people on both sides of the political spectrum.  Of the people that I know that are there from both sides agreed that the part about scouting was fine (they all agreed he just really isn't a good public speaker) but the non-scouting portions of the speech was not the right place for it. 

I think the response from BSA is good and measured.  There are people on both sides of the political spectrum.  Of the people that I know that are there from both sides agreed that the part about scouting was fine (they all agreed he just really isn't a good public speaker) but the non-scouting portions of the speech was not the right place for it. 

Agreed. But why address one overly political issue that arose and not the other?

From what I've read and heard, the only people getting upset are adults.

The youth seem to have taken it with a grain of salt, and moved on to other things.

Perhaps the adults can take a cue from the scouts and do the same.

Has helicopter parenting "evolved" to raising cain if--gasp--their kids hear a political speech that they (the parents) don't agree with?

My kids grew up moving every couple years.  I know some of the outlandish political things they were taught/exposed to in a few particular school systems.  I didn't make an angry speech at the school board or call the news media.  I may have had a polite chat with the teacher to find out if something was lost in translation.  Most of the time, it was a good opportunity to further the discussion at home.

Truly this whole thing is a tempest in a teapot.

Edited by desertrat77
  • Upvote 2

Here's a bit of it: 

I like it.  It's as direct a statement as one could make without naming the person, but it's obvious who he is talking about.  It's not one of these non-apology apologies, and it makes clear what he is apologizing for, which is kind of a rarity these days.  He comes right out and says that political rhetoric was inserted into our Jamboree.  Good job Mr. Surbaugh.

I also think that this should be the end of the matter as far as BSA National - and all BSA members - are concerned.  The word "condemn" is not necessary here, and you're not going to hear that from a CSE anyway.  There has been enough other commentary about it so that the public has gotten the message that the president's remarks were inappropriate, and those who are receptive to that message can do what they will with it.

There has been enough other commentary about it so that the public has gotten the message that the president's remarks were inappropriate, and those who are receptive to that message can do what they will with it.

Correct, but absent today's statement, their silence could be viewed as a tacit endorsement.  

And yes, it would have been nice to see the words narcissistic, egomaniacal, and unhinged in the statement, but that might be crossing some line.  :-)

Edited by The Blancmange

I had three siblings so I knew if I got in trouble that sometime in the next 24 hours one of them would do something to take the heat off me. 

when I was on AD we called it the wedge theory.  No matter how bad you screwed up and got moved to the bottom of the totem pole, somebody else will manage to do something to wedge themselves under you in short order

To be fair to the CSE I have been at various functions where the dignitary (Governor, Mayor) went wildly off course to the occasion. Our Mayor was the guest of honor at a church fund raiser and spent the whole time talking about getting calls in the middle of the night to go out to police shootings and seeing the oozing bloody body. Major downer, folks wondered if he was having a depressive episode. I kept wondering how it would link up to the United Methodist Women Art Show but it never did.