President Trump to visit 2017 Jamboree

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best Jambo guest speakers are the ones who can be motivational, inspirational, and relatable. Trump was none of those things tonight. He just used this as yet another tour stop to brag about his w

I saw Trump's speech online. Hardly seems fair Scouters are not allowed to politic in their uniform but he basically does a campaign speech. Talked a bit about Loyalty but seems challenged on Honesty

Snark engaged:   Ronald Reagan didn't show up to the two Jamborees held during his time in office either.  And we all know why Reagan really dissed the scouts.   Snark disengaged.   Instead of p

But how should a concerned citizen respond?

Funny you should mention that....

First four emails I received this AM were from moms who either 1) thought it was a good speech and we should use it to promote the troop, or 2) thought the speech was horrid and that the BSA response didn't go far enough in lambasting POTUS and we as a unit should do something.

I replied to all four basically telling them we'd have no part in what happened one way or the other. BSA has spoken and we won't "put out our press release". You have to laugh sometimes at how worked up folks get about this guy.

• Upvote 1

...I replied to all four basically telling them we'd have no part in what happened one way or the other. BSA has spoken and we won't "put out our press release". ...

Not much else that anyone can or should do. If the BSA says any more than they've already said, they do more harm than good.

If they speak out against the content of the speech, they're seen as anti-right. If they endorse the speech, they're seen as anti-left. Neither situation fits today's narrative of what the BSA is trying to be. Which is exactly what they said in their statement, non-partisan. And pretty even-keeled as far as political issues go. It's an organization that embraces ideologies on both sides of the political spectrum. Left on some things, right on others. 

Like most things in the political discourse these days, this issue will pass as well. Hopefully sooner than later. 

• Upvote 1

Well, I guess Trump told us today what we should believe about how Presidential He is. He thinks He's more 'Presidential' than any President except Lincoln.

So...my question, what, in His mind, causes Him to make that exception? I'm actually shocked.

Good. I was just wondering the other day when you'd make an appearance!

I never doubted ... stupid faith of mine. :)

Merl, I saw a couple of posts elsewhere suggesting, in addition to asking concerned citizens to ceas contributions, that BSA should lose tax exempt status for effectively holding a partisan rally. Sounds frivolous to me.

I follow BSA on Instagram and they've been posting to their "stories" recapping events at Jambo. They post multiple times per day, highlighting guests, activities, etc. But not one post about Trump's visit or speech. Nothing on Twitter, either. 

They're pretty clearly downplaying the President's visit, at least on social media. With as much as they post on Instagram, surely the President visiting Jambo would have been worthy of a post. Guess they're as disappointed with the visit as many of us are. 

• Upvote 1

I follow BSA on Instagram and they've been posting to their "stories" recapping events at Jambo. They post multiple times per day, highlighting guests, activities, etc. But not one post about Trump's visit or speech. Nothing on Twitter, either. 

They're pretty clearly downplaying the President's visit, at least on social media. With as much as they post on Instagram, surely the President visiting Jambo would have been worthy of a post. Guess they're as disappointed with the visit as many of us are. 

Scouters posted about two dozen pictures on the council's jambo FB page before and during the speech.  No specific comments about the speech itself but overall they thought highly of the event.

Scouters posted about two dozen pictures on the council's jambo FB page before and during the speech.  No specific comments about the speech itself but overall they thought highly of the event.

There are tons of posts about it throughout social media. I just thought it was interesting to note that in looking at BSA official social media accounts, it was as if the President wasn't even there at all. 

There are tons of posts about it throughout social media. I just thought it was interesting to note that in looking at BSA official social media accounts, it was as if the President wasn't even there at all. 

Most of those posters were probably not there either.  :laugh:

• Upvote 1

Gee, if there weren't a few boys here and there protesting President Trump's visit to the jamboree, some might think it more like a Hitler Youth Rally instead of a Jamboree. Oh, yeah, they did.

• Upvote 3