President Trump to visit 2017 Jamboree

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best Jambo guest speakers are the ones who can be motivational, inspirational, and relatable. Trump was none of those things tonight. He just used this as yet another tour stop to brag about his w

I saw Trump's speech online. Hardly seems fair Scouters are not allowed to politic in their uniform but he basically does a campaign speech. Talked a bit about Loyalty but seems challenged on Honesty

Snark engaged:   Ronald Reagan didn't show up to the two Jamborees held during his time in office either.  And we all know why Reagan really dissed the scouts.   Snark disengaged.   Instead of p

I don't want to get into a political debate about the president here, but it doesn't seem likely that he will be in a "good mood" anytime soon.

We'll see.  I am sure that someone on his staff has written a very nice, situationally-appropriate speech for him to give at the Jamboree, and if he knows what's good for him, he will give that speech and not try to "improvise" any additional remarks.  That's when the trouble starts.

Hope the boys can cheer him up.

And, I'm really, really hoping he goes off script!

We'll see.  I am sure that someone on his staff has written a very nice, situationally-appropriate speech for him to give at the Jamboree, and if he knows what's good for him, he will give that speech and not try to "improvise" any additional remarks.  That's when the trouble starts.

All modern Presidents had speech writers. The last White House even had a social media team. POTUS is usually allowed sections in the script where they can go off script for personal observations. He's not the best speaker, but he doesn't hold back either. That's refreshing after over 25+ years of hot air coming and other excrement coming from Washington.

• Upvote 1

... He's not the best speaker, but he doesn't hold back either. That's refreshing after over 25+ years of hot air coming and other excrement coming from Washington.

You have a very odd definition of "hot air" and "excrement" if you don't think those words apply to what spews out of Trump's mouth and fingers (i.e. Twitter posts).

• Upvote 1

All modern Presidents had speech writers. The last White House even had a social media team. POTUS is usually allowed sections in the script where they can go off script for personal observations. He's not the best speaker, but he doesn't hold back either. That's refreshing after over 25+ years of hot air coming and other excrement coming from Washington.

I understand that Presidents have speechwriters and can go off script if they want.

But I have never seen a president go so off script, so often, that he hurts HIMSELF, repeatedly.

As one example, I strongly suspect that his attorneys (both personal and government) are going absolutely crazy over his repeated public statements (in both speeches and tweets) about an ongoing Justice Department investigation involving his campaign, and the person conducting that investigation, and others involved.  I can almost guarantee that his attorneys and others have tried repeatedly to get him to stop talking about it.  It is self-destructive behavior.  

A related example is when he had a speech to give at the NATO summit (I think) and the speech was written by his writers and approved by Rex Tillerson and I forget who else, and everything was fine until he got up and gave a different speech, and Tillerson and others then had to scramble around and assure everyone of what the president really meant - which was in the original speech! So in the end, what is the U.S. policy on what he was talking about?  Nobody really knows.

Regardless of what anyone may think about his policies (and I'm fairly sure most of my opinions differ from yours), this really does not seem like rational behavior.

• Upvote 1

Could be a hoot if he brought his 11yr old son Barron along to "run the Boy Scouts",

That brings up an interesting question, this being a Scouting forum and all.  Do we know whether Barron is a Boy Scout?  Or was a Cub Scout?  I think that if he was in Scouting now, we'd probably know about it, but I don't know about his younger days.

It also occurs to me that, unless I am mistaken, Barron is the first son of a sitting President to be of Boy Scout or Cub Scout age for a long time - specifically since FDR, whose youngest son was 16 when FDR became president in 1933.  I believe Gerald Ford's youngest son was 18 when Ford became president, which is close.  I believe all the others since then, while in office, have either had older children (Truman, Eisenhower, Ford, Reagan, Bush 41 and Bush 43 (both daughters 20 in 2001)) or a son who was too young (JFK) or only daughters (LBJ, Nixon, Carter, Clinton, Obama.)  (LBJ's and Nixon's daughters also may all have been 18 or older when their fathers took office, I don't feel like looking it up.)  Did I miss anyone?

Edited by NJCubScouter

One of my local troops is there and they all brought there Make America Great again Hats

By the tone of some of the internet flamers, those boys SM's might be accused of corrupting the morals of a minor.

Related to the background of the photo: Hey, Texans. Is there anything in your state's code about using your flag for capes?

That brings up an interesting question, this being a Scouting forum and all.  Do we know whether Barron is a Boy Scout?  Or was a Cub Scout?  I think that if he was in Scouting now, we'd probably know about it, but I don't know about his younger days.

Donald Trump Jr. may (or may not) have been a Scout in 1989, when he turned 12:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-boasts-of-his-philanthropy-but-his-giving-falls-short-of-his-words/2016/10/29/b3c03106-9ac7-11e6-a0ed-ab0774c1eaa5_story.html

By the tone of some of the internet flamers, those boys SM's might be accused of corrupting the morals of a minor.

Related to the background of the photo: Hey, Texans. Is there anything in your state's code about using your flag for capes?

I want to know about the KFC bucket hats

You know Qwazse they are a Breed of their Own.  Do you know they have their very own pledge of allegiance to the state of Texas?

• Upvote 1