President Trump to visit 2017 Jamboree

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best Jambo guest speakers are the ones who can be motivational, inspirational, and relatable. Trump was none of those things tonight. He just used this as yet another tour stop to brag about his w

I saw Trump's speech online. Hardly seems fair Scouters are not allowed to politic in their uniform but he basically does a campaign speech. Talked a bit about Loyalty but seems challenged on Honesty

Snark engaged:   Ronald Reagan didn't show up to the two Jamborees held during his time in office either.  And we all know why Reagan really dissed the scouts.   Snark disengaged.   Instead of p

If you are going to be snarky at least make some basis for the snark. Comparing Reagan's "diss" of Jamboree to Obama's is apples and oranges. Reagan had legitimate health and security reasons. Obama had NOTHING!

NOTHING, except that in 2013 National BSA was still a discriminatory organization. Look, in 2012 both presidential candidates, Romney and Obama, opposed the ban on gay scouts. Shortly thereafter, Robert Gates, Bush's Defense Secretary, overturned it. Coming from a council that allowed gay scouts and leaders since ~2000 and a troop/pack that has had gay kids and leaders and IH clergy in that time... You can disagree with that, but you can't call it nothing.

NOTHING, except that in 2013 National BSA was still a discriminatory organization. Look, in 2012 both presidential candidates, Romney and Obama, opposed the ban on gay scouts. Shortly thereafter, Robert Gates, Bush's Defense Secretary, overturned it. Coming from a council that allowed gay scouts and leaders since ~2000 and a troop/pack that has had gay kids and leaders and IH clergy in that time... You can disagree with that, but you can't call it nothing.

Yeah, you can call it nothing. It's no reason to snub one of the largest youth organizations at their centennial.

You seem to disagree with Scouting' position back then but you were still a part of the program, no? So a sitting president -- who attended many events HALF THE COUNTRY OPPOSED -- can't come to a Jambi?

What was his excuse AFTER 2013? Huh?

Edited by Back Pack

I was at the Jamboree show last night. The band that played was X Ambassadors. The lead singer talked about how proud he was of the BSA for the recent membership decisions and then he went on to tell the kids that they didn't need to be scared to be different....listed a lot ways they might be different. Then he said that he understood the president would be here on Monday....and that the Scouts needed to let him hear that they were not scared to be different. I was disappointed in him doing that. I am not a fan of the president but the fact is he is my/our president. He was elected by our republic. I pray our scouts will not embarrass themselves or the organization on Monday.

Yeah, you can call it nothing. It's no reason to snub one of the largest youth organizations at their centennial.

You seem to disagree with Scouting' position back then but you were still a part of the program, no? So a sitting president -- who attended many events HALF THE COUNTRY OPPOSED -- can't come to a Jambi?

What was his excuse AFTER 2013? Huh?

I think this is the point where numbers begin to really matter. Not numbers physically (or even virtually) present, but what those numbers represent. The fewer percentage of American boys BSA holds as members, the easier a POTUS can brush them off. Not necessarily because he/she would want to, but because he/she would need to find other avenues in addition to BSA to reach out to that demographic.

@@ALongWalk, sorry to hear that. It's really hard to figure out how to help scouts stand up against the "not my president" rhetoric. I don't want them going around blugeoning suspected anarchists, but I do want them to enforce that we're all in this together under the same constitution.

I reread President Truman's address to the 1950 Jamboree. Though the context then was Communist nations, one paragraph seemed sadly applicable to ourselves today, Maybe there is a SM minute in this.

We must not return hate for the hate which these young people are being taught to feel toward us. We must realize that they are the victims of a cynical group of leaders. We must make it clear to them that we believe in the fellowship of human beings, in the possibility of cooperative human action, and in peace based on mutual understanding. We must show them, over and over again, that fellowship is possible between men of different nations, different colors, and different creeds.

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=13551

My $0.02

• Upvote 3

Local media reports indicate the President will speak around 6 pm; the governor of West Virginia will also be there and will probably speak as well.  It looks like circumstances are being arranged to keep the President's speaking time to a minimum.  If there is booing, the President won't hear it.  They can use a previously recorded track of the crowd cheering at another event and play the track back while the President is on the stage.

Judging by the President's tweets from today, he might not be in a good mood when he gets to the Jamboree:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump

I don't want to get into a political debate about the president here, but it doesn't seem likely that he will be in a "good mood" anytime soon.

He can be presidential when he wants to be. I'm sure the Jamboree will be one of those occasions.

We'll see.  I am sure that someone on his staff has written a very nice, situationally-appropriate speech for him to give at the Jamboree, and if he knows what's good for him, he will give that speech and not try to "improvise" any additional remarks.  That's when the trouble starts.