President Trump to visit 2017 Jamboree

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/west-virginia/articles/2017-07-21/trump-to-visit-boy-scouts-jamboree-in-west-virginia

"On Monday, Trump will become the eighth U.S. president to attend a Jamboree. More than 40,000 Scouts, their leaders and volunteers are at the 10-day event."

"Presidents dating back to George H.W. Bush attended the Jamboree when it was previously held at a military base at Fort A.P. Hill, Virginia. President Barack Obama declined an invitation from the Scouts to address the 2010 Jamboree in Virginia and the 2013 Jamboree when it was held for the first time in West Virginia."

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best Jambo guest speakers are the ones who can be motivational, inspirational, and relatable. Trump was none of those things tonight. He just used this as yet another tour stop to brag about his w

I saw Trump's speech online. Hardly seems fair Scouters are not allowed to politic in their uniform but he basically does a campaign speech. Talked a bit about Loyalty but seems challenged on Honesty

Snark engaged:   Ronald Reagan didn't show up to the two Jamborees held during his time in office either.  And we all know why Reagan really dissed the scouts.   Snark disengaged.   Instead of p

Snark engaged:

Ronald Reagan didn't show up to the two Jamborees held during his time in office either.  And we all know why Reagan really dissed the scouts.

Snark disengaged.

Really? Really?? I swear. Your post makes the comparison between Reagan and Obama pretty darn easy.

Reagan was shot in March 1981. He was recovering most of that spring. The Secret Service was concerned over security arrangements for Jambo. Also, his doctor didn't think it was a good idea since he was still recovering from his surgery. Pretty sure Obama didn't have anything like that to recover from. 

Reagan was recovering from Cancer surgery in 1985, sent Nancy. Was Obama recovering from anything other than too much golfing or appearing on The View? Did he send his wife to put that personal stamp on it? No. Please.

If you are going to be snarky at least make some basis for the snark. Comparing Reagan's "diss" of Jamboree to Obama's is apples and oranges. Reagan had legitimate health and security reasons. Obama had NOTHING!

You normally have some decent thoughts to your posts. This one was, well, not.

Regarding the Bush visit in 1989: I worked on the advance team from 1988 through 1990. I can tell you with 100% accuracy, the cluster that was that visit was ENTIRELY the fault of the BSA. NOTHING we submitted that was approved by the Secret Service was in place when the advance team arrived. The Service wouldn't let follow the intended route and plan until all areas were secured. So let's not imply that the visit was the fault of the administration. I was on the ground three weeks prior to the visit, several days before the visit and DURING the visit. That mess was on BSA. Period.

• Upvote 1

Regarding the Bush visit in 1989: I worked on the advance team from 1988 through 1990. I can tell you with 100% accuracy, the cluster that was that visit was ENTIRELY the fault of the BSA. NOTHING we submitted that was approved by the Secret Service was in place when the advance team arrived. The Service wouldn't let follow the intended route and plan until all areas were secured. So let's not imply that the visit was the fault of the administration. I was on the ground three weeks prior to the visit, several days before the visit and DURING the visit. That mess was on BSA. Period.

Okay, I'm confused.  US Army base Fort A.P. Hill, Commander-in-Chief arrives and the BSA is entirely at fault?

Okay, I'm confused.  US Army base Fort A.P. Hill, Commander-in-Chief arrives and the BSA is entirely at fault?

You'd have to know a bit about 1) the Army, 2) the Secret Service and 3) running advance operations to know why this  was an issue. I don't have time to explain, and several things I am not allowed to talk about, so you'll have to take the word from someone who was not only there, but was involved in the planning (and the resolution) of this event.

Edited:  Just re-read Colonel Flagg's note, and have deleted my previous jab at the Army's coordination skills (or lack thereof). :)

The last several years I was on active duty, I had the opportunity to help plan and host distinguished visitors (though none were presidents).

Even with the best planning between agencies, hiccups can happen.

When one agency makes no effort to work with the others, or they don't do their part, it's a train wreck from the first minute.

I think that's what I'm gathering from Colonel Flagg's post.

Edited by desertrat77

Though sorely tempted to type a political opinion, I shall refrain.  But an observation on personalities, for your consideration.

Obama and Trump:  two different temperaments.

The jambo will be the highlight of Trump's week.  He's a good mixer.  He'll enjoy himself.  Shaking hands, wearing several different scout hats, signing autographs, joshing and shooting breeze with everyone.

We rarely saw Obama at these types of venues...not his cup of tea. 

Edited by desertrat77