Any suggestions on how much cash a scout should take to the Jamboree? I am sure the son couldand would spend a ton if he were allowed but....

I want him to be able to purchase some keepsakes and such but nothing too extravagant. Thanks.

Whatever he's earned this summer.

Minus his tithe to the Lord's work. (Or fourtieth if you are Muslim, but then you'd still probably be shelling the difference out to beggars and such.)

Minus any taxes he may owe.

Minus any foreseeable expenses once he returns home before he can get back to gainful employment.

Minus planned deposits to the rainy day fund.

• Upvote 1

I started working at age 11 doing the mowing, shoveliing, etc. Then on to paper route and by the time I was old enough to qualify for any Jamboree, I was washing windows at the library.  I budged my funds, had plenty in the bank did my own taxes, contributed to my church and my parents would never have asked this question.  They knew I knew how much money I had to spend at a Jambo or any other event I wanted to go to..

I want him to be able to purchase some keepsakes and such but nothing too extravagant.

I interpret that as $50.00.

Now whether that is money you give him or money he has earned is entirely up to the two of you.

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry, @@ALongWalk, but I've lectured my kids that no house in this country is worth more than $150K. Anything more than that, and you're either paying for footage your family doesn't need, woods or farm someone else has ravaged, or the company of strangers who you don't really like.

He will use money he earned working at Summer Csmp.

Should have known better than to,ask here.

:)  There are very few things on this forum that any of us can all agree on, but in this situation, any life lessons on taking on one's own responsibility to mature and develop character seems to be unanimous.  In this case, one needs to learn from an early age to understand the value of limited financial resources.  It's a lesson that will challenge him throughout his life.  This is a very safe way to start that process.  If one wants something, save up and budget for it in plans. 

I'm sure he'll do fine and when it comes to souvenirs, if he has unlimited "dad's" money, it won't be evaluated as to the real cost to one's own pocketbook.  If dad handed me $50 it spends a lot differently than if I had to mow a few neighborhood yards in the hot sun $50.  

Learning to tie the different knots might have a bit of value to your son in his adult life, but there won't be a day that the lessons in finance come into play.

Best of luck to your son's adventure at Jambo, it's going to be a fantastic opportunity for his scouting career!

I'm sorry, @@ALongWalk, but I've lectured my kids that no house in this country is worth more than $150K. Anything more than that, and you're either paying for footage your family doesn't need, woods or farm someone else has ravaged, or the company of strangers who you don't really like.

Aw, come on now.  I paid less than $150k for my 9 acre hobby farm and with 8 acres of woods for hunting, flower beds for the wife 20' in all directions of the house, and an acre of garden space, 3 bedroom house, the Mrs. and I can feel the cramp.  :)

Good for him. He needs to decide how much he wants to bring. Hopefully he pre-ordered a bunch of souvineers so he won't need a bunch of money. If he didn't order in advance, I'd have him look in the catalog, find what he wants, then bring a little extra.

Actually, what I would do regarding souvenirs:

Give your son any old patches and neckers that you have. (They don't necessarily have to be scouting related, if they look good and represent something historic about your area.) Ask him to come back with a completely different collection.

Heck, I've had scouts at AP Hill trade uniforms and doughnuts with servicemen for their digital cammo.

By the way one can get a bit creative with the trading.  Boys trade with boys, Adults trade with adults.  I wore a reproduction 1910 uniform with all the correct buttons and collar brass and Smoky hat with correct SM pin on it.  My SPL wore a 1960's uniform with all the correct patches, mule-eared pocket pants and campaign hat.  Any boy in full uniform that wanted a pitcture of 1910-1960-2010 could pose with us for a patch.  :)  My SPL took in a lot of patches to trade elsewhere for what he wanted. 

Surprisingly, not many scouts were in uniform, but when they found out what we were doing, they found theirs really quickly.

Edited by Stosh

Stosh’s story reminds me of what some friends did when they went as well as what I did.

Friends got a bunch of the sample sized (either .5 ounces or 1 ounce) Tabasco Sauce bottles. They then hot glued 1†safety pins to the bottles for instant hat pins. They were a “hot†commodity. ;)

When I went, I made a bunch of neckerchief slides using clothesline and Turk’s Head Knots. While not as hot as the Tabasco Sauce pins (pun intended again J ) I got some very good trades, especially with the Japanese who were attending.

Good for him. He needs to decide how much he wants to bring. Hopefully he pre-ordered a bunch of souvineers so he won't need a bunch of money. If he didn't order in advance, I'd have him look in the catalog, find what he wants, then bring a little extra.

He has not preordered anything but taking a look at the catalog to get an idea is a great idea........ thanks. We just don't have any idea what to expect as far as what they will have for sale and the set-up. He didn't earn much working at scout camp and some of those funds are earmarked for other things so he is going to need to choose wisely and carefully. Edited by ALongWalk
  • Upvote 1