I received an interesting email today from my council.  Presumably it was sent to every Scouter in the council who they have an email address for.

The subject line of the email was:  Making Scouting Accessible for Families  

What followed was a letter, on council letterhead, that read as follows, with all names and locations removed, and bolding from the original:

Hello,

As one of America's leading youth-serving organization, we aim to bring the benefits of Scouting to the greatest number of youth possible - all while remaining true to our mission and core values, outlined in the Scout Oath and Law.

As we think about the future, we are interested in gaining your perspective as a member of the Scouting community.  Please join us for a discussion on 7/26/17, 6:00 pm at the (name and location of meeting site), as we continue the important conversion about how to make Scouting more accessible to today's families.

I look forward to speaking with you on 7/26/17.  

So that we may be prepared, please RSVP with your name and town to (email address of one of the professionals at council).

Thank you for everything you do to make Scouting a pivotal part of our community.

Yours in Scouting.

(Name), 
Scout Executive

Now, if I were not a member of this forum, I would probably have no idea what the SE is really talking about here.  If I saw the word “accessible†and took it literally, I might think that maybe he was talking about expanding opportunities for disabled families… but that doesn’t seem quite right.  So let’s be a little less literal; maybe they are going to make Scouting “more accessible to today’s families†by reducing the cost of Scouting… cutting the price of uniforms, handbooks, etc. etc.  Well, I have been around long enough to know THAT is not happening.  

And I AM a member of this forum, and therefore I am aware of discussions taking place within the BSA, and therefore I am pretty sure that what the SE will be discussing at this meeting is the admission of girls to Cub and Boy Scouting.  But it’s not like the letter actually says that or anything.  I think many of my fellow nearby Scouters are going to look at this and decide they do not wish to spend a couple of hours in the middle of the summer (when they might be on vacation and/or at summer camp and unable to attend anyway) discussing “how to make Scouting more accessible to today's families.† But if it said we going to be discussing changing the gender requirement for youth membership, there might very well be a different reaction (but again, that doesn’t help those who will be on vacation or at camp.)  It doesn’t seem to me that they have gone out of their way to maximize attendance at this meeting, either in the timing of the meeting or the description of what is going to be discussed.

Another thing that comes to mind, are they really interested in “gaining my perspective†(on a topic that they are not actually identifying before the meeting), or is this really part of a nationwide rollout of a decision that they’ve made already?  Do they really want my opinion, or are they just going to try to sell me on what they’re going to do anyway?  (These are mainly rhetorical questions.)

Has anyone else heard of anything like this happening in your own councils?

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Scouts do learn from their role models.  But they have way more time and more role models outside scouting than in scouting.  We can emphasize and teach in our own troop, but our scouts interact with

I'm wondering if the town halls are really more about telling than asking.   Barry

@@NJCubScouter, could "accessible" be code for reaching out to those impacted by the new membership changes?

And no, the only letter we have received was the change to online membership applications noted in the other thread. Though I would not put it past my council to have a clandestine meeting on something so important. Bur remember, I *am* Col. Flagg. ;)

Edited by Col. Flagg

Yes.  Got the exact (literally!) same email not long ago; only difference is time and place, because I'm pretty sure we're not in the same council.

Sounds like I should RSVP and check it out.

Yes.  Got the exact (literally!) same email not long ago; only difference is time and place, because I'm pretty sure we're not in the same council.

Sounds like I should RSVP and check it out.

I'm going to try to go to mine, although the scheduling is not very convenient. If we both go to our respective meetings, we can compare notes afterward.

Our council is having these discussions at Summer Camp this summer during the weekly adult breakfasts. There's a video and a presentation, and a short survey, then they ask for your email (if they don't already have it) so a longer survey can come later from National asking further questions.

It's the discussion regarding allowing girls into the Cub Scout program.  Same presentation made at the National Meeting, so I've been told from people that were at the NM and are now at these local presentation/discussions.

I posted a couple of times regarding my Council pushing family scouting.  Since they use "youth"  twice in the first paragraph, I'd say you've figured it out.

I also agree this is a discussion just to validate what they've already decided and to give the appearance of seeking stakeholder input.  My wife does that once in a while with me.

• Upvote 2

Haven't seen that here in NCAC.  This is to be an "in person" meeting, not online or phone conference? ?  Town Meeting?   Including who?   The CORs ?   Anyone labeled "Scouter"?    Sounds interesting to me....

Making Scouting Accessible for Families?

Well, I think this is a totally awesome idea.  Mom and Dad, and Step-Dad, and Step-Mom and Grandma and Grandpa and Step-Grandma and Step-Grandpa (all 8 of them) and then one goes to the cousins, step-couusins and all the aunts, uncles, step-aunts and step uncles  that are attached to them.  Toss in any Great-Aunts and Great-Uncles.  ... almost forgot my iinclusive accessibility  Then we get the siblings and step siblings.  Of course if there's older siblilngs, they might have a "significant other" that they may or may not be married to as well.

And there you have it, My Great Big Fat Greek Scout Program.

• Upvote 1

I'm going to try to go to mine, although the scheduling is not very convenient. If we both go to our respective meetings, we can compare notes afterward.

be sure to share your notes. I signed up for mine the following Monday. It's on the commute home.

Considering how well National listened to those polled on Eagle Palms, I say the decision has been made already. Heck the writing has been on the wall for some time.

August 1 2018 we will be coed. If I'm off, then it will be before then.

Considering how well National listened to those polled on Eagle Palms, I say the decision has been made already. Heck the writing has been on the wall for some time.

August 1 2018 we will be coed. If I'm off, then it will be before then.

I think some coed re-org decision will be made before the World Jambo in July, 2019.

I think some coed re-org decision will be made before the World Jambo in July, 2019.

Not a problem, by then I will have 50+ years of scouting in and I'll be able to say it was all in the Boy Scouts of America.  Co-ed for me will be me and the Mrs. doing extended hiking, camping and kayaking at places where we decide, not a bunch of boys.  :)

• Upvote 1