Preventable fundraiser theft?

Saw this article on my local news website:

http://www.kwwl.com/story/35866183/2017/07/12/13000-stolen-from-jesup-boy-scouts

Apparently the troop had $13,000.00 in cash sitting overnight in some sort of fundraising booth at a local festival.  Not sure how they thought that was a good idea, but my question is does anyone besides the thief bear any responsibility for this loss?

Edited by The Blancmange

I remember as a youth, when we had our blow-out fundraiser of Christmas candles (pretend the pun was intended :) ), our SM told how nervous he was walking to the bank safe deposit box with all of that cash.

Of course, we'd never hold it against him if some thug figured out that the nervous guy walking down the street was loaded with coin. But, I'm sure we would fill terribly responsible.

I think my dad made a bank run twice a day when business was hopping. The register would be emptied and brought home if for any reason the safe deposit box was closed.

To answer the question - yes - the adult leaders who thought it was a good idea to leave the cash in the booth over night.  Someone should have had the responsibility to take it home with them overnight, and should have had the sense to take it home at night.

That being said - something just doesn't smell right to me about this.  I don't believe people are naïve enough even in small towns in Iowa to leave $13K in cash in a cash box in a booth overnight - especially in a small town in Iowa that has a history of issues with meth addiction.   Of course there isn't a lot more information, and I've looked at other sources that mentioned this theft, but there's nothing mentioned about any one else's booths being broken in to.  If no other booths were broken in to, how would a thief know that the Scouts booth was full of cash?  I can't help but wonder if there's something more to this - an inside job as it were.

• Upvote 1

That being said - something just doesn't smell right to me about this.  I don't believe people are naïve enough even in small towns in Iowa to leave $13K in cash in a cash box in a booth overnight - especially in a small town in Iowa that has a history of issues with meth addiction.   Of course there isn't a lot more information, and I've looked at other sources that mentioned this theft, but there's nothing mentioned about any one else's booths being broken in to.  If no other booths were broken in to, how would a thief know that the Scouts booth was full of cash?  I can't help but wonder if there's something more to this - an inside job as it were.

Me too. Or me also. Whichever.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if this is their "booth."

http://www.conveysignsolutions.com/services/wraps-vinyl/

If that's the case, it looks a little more secure than the tent and folding tables that I was picturing, but still not a good place to store that kind of cash overnight.   And it also begs the question, as noted above, if nothing else was burglarized, who knew that the money was there?

$13k is likely more than the trailer costs. Bad idea.

Two snips and a thud and that trailer is open.

Any troop (with a trailer) knows you don't leave a trailer anywhere overnight unless the entire thing is secure.

You would be surprised how people deal with their night receipts. I know of a food co-op that didn't have a drop safe. Each night the group closing the shop down, would vote on where to hide the money. This co-open welcomed homeless people to come and trade work for food and they would be included in the vote on where to hide the money. They were then surprised when the money was getting stolen pretty often.

That being said - something just doesn't smell right to me about this. ......

yeah, I can't imagine anyone even leaving $130.00 unattended like that, let alone $13,000.00.  Maybe $13.00....just maybe......

Agreed....doesn't smell right to me.

I remember as a youth, when we had our blow-out fundraiser of Christmas candles (pretend the pun was intended :) ), our SM told how nervous he was walking to the bank safe deposit box with all of that cash.

Christmas candles...... oh, now there are some flashback to the 1970's memories!  I hated selling those things..... and that is probably the biggest reason I do not push my son to sell fundraisers if he doesn't want to.  I didn't like selling anything since I was a very shy kid, but I didn't mind selling the chocolate candy bars for band nearly as much as I hated pushing those "old lady candles"

It would be different if our fundraiser were things the scouts thought up and that the scouts wanted to do..... but I'm not going to force him to do something like that.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

8/28/17 Update: Arrest in Jesup Scout fundraiser theft

JESUP – One person has been charged for allegedly stealing money from Jesup Scouts during Farmers Day festivities in July.

Jason Charles Cole, 21, of Oelwein, was charged with first-degree theft and third-degree burglary, according to Jesup police.

More details at source link.

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/update-arrest-in-jesup-scout-fundraiser-theft/article_a62730a9-ee55-5d86-9d22-d40f969c0a98.html

Edited by RememberSchiff