Okay @@DadScouts, name names. Some of these scouters will no doubt want the camp's brochure.

You might also want to consider drafting a thank you letter to that managers camp director, copy the SE, and have all the boys who earned partials sign the bottom with the by-line "Scouts proud to have good MBCs!"

I WANT THE CAMPS NAME AND WRITE THAT THANK YOU LETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (this time I'm shouting at the top of my lungs in joy!) :)

Seriously,  write that letter, because the camp needs to know the good it is doing. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First class-first year should not be a goal. That only encourages pencil whipping and focuses exclusively on advancement. I subscribe to GBB, "When you go hiking and camping the subjects contained in

OK, funny/sad comment from a parent to me today.  "How dare you go against what camp is saying they did.  If you do this, you will lose scouts!"  My response was scouts should be able to demonstrate w

I think the problem was that the BSA was unable to tell the difference between a "cause" and an "effect."  Which is ok, a lot of people can't, but it does create an issue when you turn an entire progr

I WANT THE CAMPS NAME AND WRITE THAT THANK YOU LETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (this time I'm shouting at the top of my lungs in joy!) :)

Seriously,  write that letter, because the camp needs to know the good it is doing. 

Rodney Scout Reservation, Maryland.  Don't worry, things went up the chain of command above the camp director, both during the week and afterwards.

• 5 months later...
On 7/12/2017 at 10:46 AM, CalicoPenn said:

I suspect that even if Troops are pushing First Class-First Year, 6 camping trips a year might be ambitious for some troops trying to provide a balanced program.

Unless weather doesn't permit, I think having only 6 camping trips a year is a disservice.  My boys' old troop did 11 a year.  They just skpped December, and that was primarily due to lack of attendance and the holidays.  

• Upvote 1

I started reading this thread again.  I keep twinging every time I read the rank requirements.  They are just way way too long.  Too many words.  Turns off scouts.  National really needs to focus on shortening the number of words.  It's just out of control.  The number of words in the requirements have doubled since 2005.  The words the scouts see need to be simple and straight forward.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
Just now, fred johnson said:

I started reading this thread again.  I keep twinging every time I read the rank requirements.  They are just way way too long.  Too many words.  Turns off scouts.  National really needs to focus on shortening the number of words.  It's just out of control.  The number of words in the requirements have doubled since 2005.  The words the scouts see need to be simple and straight forward.  

Too legalistic. But that may be because so many folks are lawyering them.

• Like 1

If the allowance for doing requirements for future ranks out of order was eliminated as well as double dipping, then scouts would have more experience and have real opportunities for growth in those areas as they progressed through ranks. This would remove some of the need for the legalese IMO. 

• Upvote 2