Can a scout drive a ski boat with a scout in tow?

Supervision must include both a skilled boat driver currently trained in Safety Afloat and a separate observer.

I think the key is this sentence - I read it to mean that the boat driver is considered a supervisor and an aquatics activity supervisor must be 21 years of age or older.  I believe this also means that the official observer must also be an adult 21 years of age or older because the observer is also a supervisor. 

When I was a kid I did a ton of water skiing.  We had an established protocol.

1) Driver did not watch the skier

2) Observer sat in the boat backwards and did nothing but watch the skier.

3) If the skier went down. raise a ski to signal they are okay.

4) Observer reels in the tow rope while the driver goes back to the skier

5) While the boat circles 15-20' away from the skier, the observer throws the tow rope in the vicinity of the skier making sure not to hit them.

6) The circling boat will draw the line to the skier.

7) Any time the boat gets less than 15' from skier, kill switch is hit.

never had a problem

I think the key is this sentence - I read it to mean that the boat driver is considered a supervisor and an aquatics activity supervisor must be 21 years of age or older.  I believe this also means that the official observer must also be an adult 21 years of age or older because the observer is also a supervisor. 

No. "Qualified Supervision" could be on shore. Boat Observer could be a "Lookout," could be someone any age. And anyone can get Safety Afloat certified.

As Ken says, the answer is most likely in Aquatics Supervision (# 34346) but I don't have it, it doesn't appear to be online for free and scoutstuff.org wants $29.99 for it, so...

I found a 2009 version online, it didn't shed any light on the subject. Someday someone will explain to me why BSA makes documents harder than they need to be to get, either through cost or lack of convenience, but that day hasn't arrived yet.

• Upvote 1

The

I found a 2009 version online, it didn't shed any light on the subject. Someday someone will explain to me why BSA makes documents harder than they need to be to get, either through cost or lack of convenience, but that day hasn't arrived yet.

$$$$$$$$$$$

I guess it all depends on what part of the country.  Up in the northland where I live, the opportunity to ski is just during the summer months.  The shortened time allows for lesser risk of insurance litigation.  However, down south where the skiing season is longer, the only stipulation that BSA forgot to add to the requirement is the observer needs a fishing license in case they get picked up for trolling for alligators.

I guess it all depends on what part of the country.  Up in the northland where I live, the opportunity to ski is just during the summer months.  The shortened time allows for lesser risk of insurance litigation.  However, down south where the skiing season is longer, the only stipulation that BSA forgot to add to the requirement is the observer needs a fishing license in case they get picked up for trolling for alligators.

...or alligator gar. We had a pack of 9 footers take a swimmer in a lake last week.

And yes, everything *is* bigger down here. 

Edited by Col. Flagg
  • Upvote 1

Or, should we read the sidebar:

You've Been Pranked! Now Create A Story & Trick Your Friends!

Oh...you caught that did you.

Seriously though, people don't realize that even in the Trinity River system in North Texas that we have alligators. A good ten footer was sunning himself last summer in the middle of the Trinity sand bar in Dallas proper. Others have been taken out of Lake Lewisville and Lake Levon, so they are there. And those are our popular skiing lakes up here (among others).

Safety Afloat includes:

“…Motorboats may be operated by youth, subject to state requirements, only when accompanied in the boat by an experienced leader or camp staff member who meets state requirements for motorboat operation. Extended cruising on a large power boat requires either a professional captain or an adult with similar qualifications…† 

The GTSS Aquatics section also includes:  

“…Tow Sports

All participants in towed activity afloat (waterskiing, wakeboarding, kneeboarding, tubing, etc.) must have successfully completed the BSA swimmer classification test and must wear a life jacket with an impact rating consistent with the activity. Supervision must include both a skilled boat driver currently trained in Safety Afloat and a separate observer. Participants should observe the Water-skiers Safety Code and the Boat Drivers Safety Code found in Aquatics Supervision, No. 34346. Use only floats specifically designed for towing that provide secure handholds for each rider…â€

I would however like to point out that insurance is different for this type of activity since a watercraft is involved.  I would suggest a review of the information here:   http://www.scouting.org/Home/HealthandSafety/Alerts/Insurance.aspx 

Of note, no coverage under GLIP for youth, secondary for watercraft and minimum insurance limits established.  These could be a risk that the watercraft owner, and chartered organization may wish to weigh.   

RichardB
  • Upvote 1