Medicine Mountain Review Summer 2017

Our troop recently returned from Medicine Mountain Scout Ranch in the Black Hills. I had never been there before but I had heard, and read, a lot about it. I was a little leery given what I had heard and read. Here are my impressions:

1. Food: Great selection and quantities. We never ran out of food. The scouts ate until they burst. Lots of protein, lots of vegetables, lots of fruit, and lots of cheese. Seriously, South Dakota must be a dairy state given how much cheese we received for every meal. :) My only criticism, and this was also expressed by the scouts, was that the lunch meals involved true cooking instead of simple meals like sandwiches. This made lunch kind of a rush to cook and clean before going on to the afternoon activities. 
  2. Facilities: New shower houses, flush toilets. This was one of the nicest camps I've ever attended. We were downhill from the Kybo (latrine) and there were no odor issues like at the other scout camps I've attended. 
  3. Merit Badges: The scouts really liked their instructors. The majority of the scouts completed the badges that they started. There are a few with additional requirements that will have to complete at home. They had plenty of new canoes. The rifles must be brand new given the groupings the scouts were achieving. The scouts doing the ATV program couldn't wipe the grins of their faces. They had lots of poles to check out and the lake was well stocked. 
  4. Adult Activities: This would be the only area that was lacking. There were no adult training opportunities. It seems their council training coordinator had left recently and they didn't have a program. 
  5. Staff: Wonderful staff who bent over backwards to help troops have a great time. A major storm came through soaking some troops' gear. They provided loaner tents and sleeping bags. They took clothing to the staff quarters to throw into driers. 
  6. Program: Chock full of activities. Best cracker barrels I've seen put on. Great call out ceremony. Just great all around. One thing that I'm on the fence about is the Wednesday off. There is no program on Wednesdays so troops will go to all of the area attractions (Crazy Horse, Mt. Rushmore, Custer State Park, Bear Country, etc.). It is a great opportunity to see the local sights and it comes at a time when most first year campers are starting to get homesick or antsy. It breaks up the routine. It also takes a way some from the opportunity to make up work on merit badges. So there is good and bad there. I still haven't made up my mind about it yet. 

Overall, I would give the camp an A. Scouts had a great time and the adults had a good time. I understand that as recently as a couple of years ago, things were not so good at this camp but it really seems like they've worked hard to make corrections. One thing that would push it to A+ would be training for adults.

If you have been before and didn't like it, give it another shot, you might be surprised. If you've never been, I'd encourage your PLC to consider it in the near future. 

• Upvote 1

I think the scouts did a good job managing things. There were a few who ran late for some classes because they didn't get things done but I think that was more on the scouts than on the program.

It is a bit of a full schedule. I personally would recommend scouts giving themselves at least one block off so that they can goof off and be kids. That would also help with the cooking and the cleaning. 

• Upvote 1

All three meals at the camp we attend involve cooking.  Even with young inexperienced scouts we didn't have a problem.... except for Monday the grilled cheese sandwiches were cheese sandwiches.  Didn't kill them, but they learned a good lesson about not goofing off when they were supposed to be cooking.

All three meals at the camp we attend involve cooking.  Even with young inexperienced scouts we didn't have a problem.... except for Monday the grilled cheese sandwiches were cheese sandwiches.  Didn't kill them, but they learned a good lesson about not goofing off when they were supposed to be cooking.

Grilled cheese sandwiches would have been fine. I'm talking sloppy joes, meatball subs, raw chicken breasts for tacos, etc.  We have been to other camps where we do patrol cooking. This was just more complex meals at lunch time than usual... and cheese, did I mention the vast supplies of cheese? ;) Some of the boys decided to make grilled cheese sandwiches with the leftover cheese. 

• Upvote 1

Grilled cheese sandwiches would have been fine. I'm talking sloppy joes, meatball subs, raw chicken breasts for tacos, etc.  We have been to other camps where we do patrol cooking. This was just more complex meals at lunch time than usual... and cheese, did I mention the vast supplies of cheese? ;) Some of the boys decided to make grilled cheese sandwiches with the leftover cheese. 

As long as you know the menu going in, I think that's a GREAT menu. Sure the cooking complexity is a bit high for lunch at camp (with program immediately after), but I have 75 guys that would not complain about being late for a MB class for a good meatball sub. ;)