"Scout of the month"

Does anyone else's pack have a "scout of the month" or something similar to recognize individual boys.  Our old pack had "Scout of the Month" that was given to 1-3 boys from the pack each month that was nominated by DLs or the Committee.  There really was no specific criteria, just who the leaders wanted to recognize for any particular reason.  

Was not the biggest fan of it since a large number of the "winners" just seemed to be the favorites of the CC and one particular DL.  But I do kind of like the idea of recognizing the boys if they go above and beyond or set a good example of living by the scout oath & law.

Anybody use some sort of recognition system like this?  Acknowledging good turns?  Setting a scout example?  What you got?

Like all self-esteem rewards, the boys see through their intent rather quickly.  Yes maybe at the Cub level it is different, they are still naive enough to buy into it.  Instead of some sort of award, maybe just have them be denner for the month and actively and directly help the DL with the activities.  Sometimes special attention from a caring adult produces better results than a trinket trophy tossed in a closet somewhere.

On the Boy Scout level, as ASM I worked to form an Honor's Patrol that was allowed to function within an adult led, troop method program as a true boy led patrol.  After two years the project was dropped because according to the SM, all the leaders ended up in that patrol. (6 out of 40+ boys).  The reason for that is because the others weren't running the program correctly. 

After the patrol was forced to break up, the boys quickly Eagled and quit scouts.

Sometimes the rewards are internally self generating and external praise is rather fleeting.

It seems that any "___________ of the Month" award leads to the results you mentioned--picking favorites, or diluting the award because several months go by and no one really deserves it.  But the award is given anyway just to keep it rolling.

I'd recommend a small memento be given for specific good turns that fall into the category of above/beyond the call of duty.  It could be something as simple as a BSA key ring.  Then the scouts and parents know it's not a routine thing, "Johnny got the award this month because it's his turn."

Edited by desertrat77

Ok, desertrat, is this kind of what you were thinking:  I am thinking about pitching an idea to committee that we recognize specific scouts if they go above and beyond in respect to living the scout law.  No limit on how many kids get it, or how many times you can earn it--If you earn it, you earn it.  And if nobody earns it, so be it  For the reward, I found these mini (1 inch) fleur de lis dog tags for cheap.  I want to use an engraving pen to write the point of the Scout law they are being recognized for on the back.  Probably attach a lanyard hook or the like so they can hand it off backpack or similar.

Does that sound similar to what you mentioned/did?  Somewhat new to Cub Scouts, so don't want to pitch the idea if it makes me sound stupid.

• Upvote 1

I used a 8" length of colored lanyard.  Different colors

1) black

2) green

3) orange

up to #) Yellow!

Everytime I saw a boy doing something "good" he got the next level of color which he would larks head knot through the button hole on the temp patch side.  I never said what the levels were for, but the boys went up (AND DOWN) the levels.  One went up one step at a time, but a major infraction could mean starting all over at the beginning. 

Finally one boy reached the top level and asked, "Now what?"  I simply said stay at that level and find out.    Eventually the top level boy screwed something up and deserved to drop a level or two, but I used it as a learning opportunity to reinforce I had noticed many good things he had done at the top level and got no recognition for, so I didn't take it down a level. 

Word got around and some of the boys leveled up, others "didn't bother, it wasn't worth anything." 

About a month later, the boys were sitting around the campfire and it hit the 10:30 pm, lights out.  I said, "everyone with blue and above stay and put out the fire, everyone else hit the sack."  One of the boys jumped up went for the bucket of water and another headed out for the shovel.  When they got back I told them to all sit down and enjoy the dying coals, there's no hurry."   the discussion on improved behavior and helpful attitudes ensued thereafter.

2 of the boys had their yellow lanyards on their Eagle preso boards at their ECOH so somewhere along the line it took on some importance for some.

• Upvote 1

Ok, desertrat, is this kind of what you were thinking:  I am thinking about pitching an idea to committee that we recognize specific scouts if they go above and beyond in respect to living the scout law.  No limit on how many kids get it, or how many times you can earn it--If you earn it, you earn it.  And if nobody earns it, so be it  For the reward, I found these mini (1 inch) fleur de lis dog tags for cheap.  I want to use an engraving pen to write the point of the Scout law they are being recognized for on the back.  Probably attach a lanyard hook or the like so they can hand it off backpack or similar.

Does that sound similar to what you mentioned/did?  Somewhat new to Cub Scouts, so don't want to pitch the idea if it makes me sound stupid.

Beagle, that sounds right on the money.   I like the ideal "if you earn it, you earn it."   The etch of the specific law point is a very cool touch.

The origin of my first post:   I was reminded of a great scouter I knew in Alaska.  He was the scoutmaster of a local troop, which was his primary focus, but everyone in the council knew and respected him.

At the time, the BSA made these little round key fobs, fleur de lis on one side, oath on the other (I think).  About the size of a quarter.  A simple bead chain that could hold a couple keys.  I'm guessing each cost less than a dollar.

Mr. O had a habit of carrying several of these with him, and giving them to scouts that deserved them.  One rainy day when I was on camp staff, he gave me one.  Remember it clearly, and I still have it in my footlocker.

Edited by desertrat77