Venturing Crew Subgroup is a .....

I think "scoutmaster" was not intended to mean "master of scouts" so much as it was intended to mean "master of scout skills." I suspect some people prefer the former definition, because if they accept the latter, they would have to bear the brunt of ridicule from guys like me when they fail to tie a timber hitch!

Many leaders don't have the skills their first years are supposed to have. Sad.

Side Note: I read today in Scouting Magazine about the first Eagle's EBOR. He had Beard, Seton, West and Wilbur Longfellow (ARC luminary) on his EBOR. B-P he'd met the day before and was in town. Talk about "pucker factor". ;) He had to demonstrate all these skills and the deliberation for the award took over a month. He was 17!!

And we have kids (and parents) today who complain about "re-testing".  ;)

Edited by Col. Flagg

Sometimes,I think venturing youth should be called Advisormasters! :confused:

Honestly I don't care as long as they don't call me late for dinner (especially considering what good cooks some of my officers have been).

I think "scoutmaster" was not intended to mean "master of scouts" so much as it was intended to mean "master of scout skills." I suspect some people prefer the former definition, because if they accept the latter, they would have to bear the brunt of ridicule from guys like me when they fail to tie a timber hitch!

BP called them "officers," and today the title is "Group Scout Leader" - who still appoints the patrol leaders as in BP's day.  Thus, at least, the "Patrol System" differs from the "Patrol Method."