3 hours ago, Sentinel947 said:

If you read earlier in this thread, from when it was originally made, there was some discussion about the voting feature, back when it was new. It's a fairly stock version of forum software, and the moderators cannot turn it off without contacting the developer. I'm not sure if that's a worthwhile spend of money, since this forum is already paid for by @SCOUTER-Terry's generosity. 

A certain number of upvotes triggers a label on a persons post. We tested down to 12 downvotes, and it had no effect on the post in question. Your thought process was the general consensus at the time. Downvotes do have a small value in identifying spam, off topic or factually incorrect posts, in my opinion. 

Thanks for the background.  I didn't see the info from your first paragraph, but I did see the info (and test) you describe in your second paragraph. The test that was conducted led me to my suggestion.

However, I didn't realize there wasn't a way to disable the downvotes (or voting, period) without a custom code drop.  Agreed that no money should be spent for this - such was never my suggestion.

I'll go back to ignoring votes now.  Thanks for the background.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Expiriment complete. Thank you.   I want to see if there is a trigger at -5 like I think there is.   Positive +5 triggers a flair on a post.

To me, it would make more sense if the red vs green were indeed opposites. If green = posts which one agrees, likes or finds helpful, the red should = posts which one disagrees, dislikes or does not f

From the forum Moderator Policy: "Members are reminded that topics are discussions to inform, reflect and not arguments to be won. "  

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Sentinel947 said:

If you read earlier in this thread, from when it was originally made, there was some discussion about the voting feature, back when it was new. It's a fairly stock version of forum software, and the moderators cannot turn it off without contacting the developer. I'm not sure if that's a worthwhile spend of money, since this forum is already paid for by @SCOUTER-Terry's generosity. 

A certain number of upvotes triggers a label on a persons post. We tested down to 12 downvotes, and it had no effect on the post in question. Your thought process was the general consensus at the time. Downvotes do have a small value in identifying spam, off topic or factually incorrect posts, in my opinion. 

There isn't much merit in keeping downvotes, the cost to remove it probably isn't worth it, and the feature is only now becoming an issue after 3 years... which would imply it's less a inherent disfunction of the forum, and more of a disagreement between forum member as to what the feature means and the feelings involved in that. 

Maybe a few mods @RememberSchiff@MattR @desertrat77 can mediate some of the issues folks are having?

From the forum Moderator Policy:

"Members are reminded that topics are discussions to inform, reflect and not arguments to be won. "

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2
6 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

From the forum Moderator Policy:

"Members are reminded that topics are discussions to inform, reflect and not arguments to be won. "

I would normally agree with the moderator policy, but this is an unusual circumstance.  The main topic of the day is the bankruptcy / lawsuits.  Billions of dollars are at stake.  People will gain or lose money depending on the outcome.  There is more than arguments to be won.  There is real money to be won.  

Members have used this forum to encourage other members to vote for or against the plan. The forum is no longer an observer and commentator on the bankruptcy.  The forum has become a platform for the various parties to influence the results.

The forum member has been successful in his harassment.  My notice box is crammed with countless downvote messages.  I can no longer effectively participate on the forum.  My many years of participation on this forum are over.  Goodbye.

15 minutes ago, David CO said:

Members have used this forum to encourage other members to vote for or against the plan. The forum is no longer an observer and commentator on the bankruptcy.  The forum has become a platform for the various parties to influence the results.

I think you are only half correct.  The forum has been used as a point for members to state their positions on the proposal from BSA (the RSA). If ones position or view changes a claimants view that is not actually a bad thing.  My own personal views have been changed and that is due to facts that have been presented.  A big portion of what has been posted is the easier to read recaps and legal views from @CynicalScouterand or @ThenNowand others.  Yes their are posts that might influence the voting but in all honesty that is a great thing for victims (maybe not so much for non victims.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, David CO said:

The forum member has been successful in his harassment.  My notice box is crammed with countless downvote messages.  I can no longer effectively participate on the forum.  My many years of participation on this forum are over.  Goodbye.

I am not sure if there are many posters that have disagreed and butted heads more than @David CO and I have over the years. Simply put, we just vehemently disagree on some fundamental issues. 

However heated we may have gotten it has always simmered down to being to at least an anodyne tone. We have manage to not let one disagreement carry over to other threads, and have even found ways to agree and even compliment each other on rare occasions.

However, it is more than a little disappointing when I click on feed and see a string of red down vote arrows, all from one individual,  all targeting another individual. All made within the same minute, across multiple post, some being weeks old. 

We have always held our selves to the standard of being Scoutlike in our behavior here, and I will not pretend I have always managed to achieve that goal, but the current behavior of one member seems to be routinely failing that test. 

Regardless of what value that poster may have brought otherwise, I think it sad and disgusting that this childish behavior may have driven off a long time member of this board. 

I hope the moderators will find a solution that brings this nonsense to an end. Soon!

• Upvote 1