1 minute ago, Tampa Turtle said:

I think the thread manipulation (spin offs, close outs, deletions) seem to be getting out of hand. I know things meander off course but now things read more fragmented than before...natural conversations seem to wander off course. I can see Moderator intervention if folks are getting kinda rude but is kinda taking the fun of the forum...you know the whole Campfire metaphor. That is my two cents. 

I appreciate the feedback Turtle. The Moderator team is having a conversation about this at the moment, and once we build a little consensus regarding it, we'll make a thread to get feedback. 

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Expiriment complete. Thank you.   I want to see if there is a trigger at -5 like I think there is.   Positive +5 triggers a flair on a post.

To me, it would make more sense if the red vs green were indeed opposites. If green = posts which one agrees, likes or finds helpful, the red should = posts which one disagrees, dislikes or does not f

From the forum Moderator Policy: "Members are reminded that topics are discussions to inform, reflect and not arguments to be won. "  

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Sentinel947 said:

I appreciate the feedback Turtle. The Moderator team is having a conversation about this at the moment, and once we build a little consensus regarding it, we'll make a thread to get feedback. 

No one loves the cat herder especially the cats. :p

Let's give this topic to National to figure out. They can spend millions of dollars and come up with a training module (that costs $50) that defines when and how to use the "trophy" versus the emojis versus the "heart", as well as the true meaning of the "up" and "down" arrows.

3 minutes ago, CherokeeScouter said:

You people obviously have some time on your hands. Why don't you spend some of that time to help me in my crusade to revamp the Eagle Project Workbook. 

I'm pretty stupid I am sure I could beta test. 1st someone needs to break it open.*

* now @Sentinel947 I accept this as a spin off for a new topic. :) I think we need the flashing "segue way" signs like I saw on a Monty Python episode.

26 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

I'm pretty stupid I am sure I could beta test. 1st someone needs to break it open.*

* now @Sentinel947 I accept this as a spin off for a new topic. :) I think we need the flashing "segue way" signs like I saw on a Monty Python episode.

Those weren't "flashing" signs, those were "flasher signs" (not dirty, btw) in the segue ways.

What we really need is this...

• Upvote 1

Since I believe it was my downvote that started the debate, let me just share my viewpoint of what those arrows mean. 

In my opinion, Upvote = Agree, Downvote = Disagree.

Maybe that's wrong, but it isn't entirely clear what exactly an upvote or downvote is intended to be, if not those things. I don't use downvotes often, and if I do, you can be sure it's for something that I find exceptionally disagreeable. 

I'm not sure why this turned into a big debate. If the voting features aren't supposed to be used, or if some folks find the use of them to be "un-scoutlike", then why do we have them? 

Edited by EmberMike
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...
On 1/18/2018 at 4:26 PM, EmberMike said:

Since I believe it was my downvote that started the debate, let me just share my viewpoint of what those arrows mean. 

In my opinion, Upvote = Agree, Downvote = Disagree.

Maybe that's wrong, but it isn't entirely clear what exactly an upvote or downvote is intended to be, if not those things. I don't use downvotes often, and if I do, you can be sure it's for something that I find exceptionally disagreeable. 

I'm not sure why this turned into a big debate. If the voting features aren't supposed to be used, or if some folks find the use of them to be "un-scoutlike", then why do we have them? 

I was hoping that merely referencing this thread about upvotes and downvotes would avoid another thread being distracted by  procedural matters, but after seeing the discussion  there amass a page of off-topic replies, I figure it's time to give outright resurrection a try. I don't write forum rules, and asking another one to be written violates my rule #1. But, I do operate on rules of my own based on examples who came before me and helped me sort out a load of ideas.

I spout a lot of ideas. And some of them are outright stupid. Or, they may have worked for my scouts, but totally crashed for anyone else's. So ...

• If something resonates with you, if it's something you'd do or have done, up-vote it. You don't owe me or anyone else an explanation as to why you did.
  • If something grates on you, if it's something you'd never do or did and lived to regret it, down-vote it. You don't owe me or anyone else an explanation as to why you did.
  • If something moves you, but you're not inclined to promote or demote it, use the other reactions (Thanks, Haha, Sad, Confused, Like).
  • If something is patently offensive (it happens), report it. Some have. The moderators have called me on it. Not a problem.
  • If you have time, and can put words to your reaction, that's gravy.

That's how I operate. You may want me to expect more from you, but I value your time. You may have different expectations from me. But, if I spot a squirrel, you'll have a long wait before I come back to task. 

Don't worry, a member might have a dozen downvotes and still be able to write another post. (Read this topic from the top if you don't believe it.) This forum is not like many others. It certainly isn't FB. I'm not showing my family album for you to like (and cause me to worry if you disliked). It's not for having a bunch of sub-replies to every single reply. (They tried that once, it was really confusing.) It's for us to sort out our next couple of scouting moves. And, a set of "don't go this way" trail signs might come in handy for the next person who comes along.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

One forum member is verbally bullying members who down-vote his (her?) posts. This person claims to want more explanation, but to my knowledge has never asked for an explanation from anyone who up-voted a post. This abusive behavior puts a chilling effect on forum members who, with no further comment, may wish to disagree with our posts (a service that I value highly).

IMHO, this is unacceptable.

[Note: I am just pasting here so there is a standard note when one needs to report unacceptable posts.]

Edited by qwazse
  • Upvote 2

I agree with Qwarzse on this.  There are people and comments here that I don't agree with and have issues with so if there is something I don't agree with I will downvote that comment.  I don't downvote everything someone say but even if someone where to do that to me, why should I care?  This isn't a video game to see how high of a score I can get.

I would say from some comments I have seen over the years, I wonder why some people are still in scouting based on their comments but maybe I am completely misinterpreting their comments.  I do my best to be open minded as I think the majority of people on this forum do.  That is a huge problem on these days, too many think it is my way or the wrong way.  Life is shades of grey, not black and white.  IMHO

I don't think I have ever used the downvote, maybe I should start and just keep my comments to myself. 

But generally speaking, if something bothers me enough to downvote then I will make a comment. 

Also, it is pretty easy to abuse the downvote system, particularly if it is programmatically tied to capping or restricting post. 

22 hours ago, qwazse said:

One forum member is verbally bullying members who down-vote his (her?) posts.

I've got that beat.  One forum member is going back through all of my past posts and indiscriminately down-voting every post I've ever made.  I get over 40 notices of these downvotes when I log on to the forum.

I don't care in the slightest about my tally upvotes and downvotes.  

What does bother me is the fact that by constantly cluttering up my notice box, he forces me to ignore all of my notices.  I don't bother going through them anymore.  So I am often left unaware when a friendly forum member has replied to one of my posts, leaving me unable to give them a polite response in return.

If any of you have felt snubbed on account of my not responding to a joke or friendly post, please take no offense from it.  It is not intentional.  I don't have the time or inclination to read notices anymore.  My apologies. 

• Upvote 1