All:

I want to clarify the voting system as I see it.

Green votes are for posts you like, agree with, or find helpful.

Red votes are for posts that are malicious, ridiculously off topic, or spam. Not for posts you disagree with.

My concern is if a post has too many negative votes it may be censored automatically by the software.

That is all. Curious on your thoughts!

Sentinel94711

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Expiriment complete. Thank you.   I want to see if there is a trigger at -5 like I think there is.   Positive +5 triggers a flair on a post.

To me, it would make more sense if the red vs green were indeed opposites. If green = posts which one agrees, likes or finds helpful, the red should = posts which one disagrees, dislikes or does not f

From the forum Moderator Policy: "Members are reminded that topics are discussions to inform, reflect and not arguments to be won. "  

Posted Images

I didn't realize the software would automatically censor someone.

I don't mind getting down votes. If it's because someone simply disagrees, that's good to know. If they don't have time to write an opposite opinion, I'd rather see the down vote.

I didn't realize the software would automatically censor someone.

I don't mind getting down votes. If it's because someone simply disagrees, that's good to know. If they don't have time to write an opposite opinion, I'd rather see the down vote.

On most boards neg reps are usually for things @@Sentinel947 notes, not for disagreements in opinion or fact. They are also used (again on most boards I have used) to denote when the neg rep feature is being misused by a user.

Since I gave a recent neg rep (to someone who neg repped me), and did so contrary to board rules, my apologies. If there's a defined usage of neg reps for this board we might need a sticky...or a reminder. I think that's the only time I've neg repped someone.

Thanks for the clarification, Sentinel.  Since you have kindly opened the door, I'll add that on most boards I have used I've never been limited to the number of "up-votes" or "likes" I could assign.  I was certainly surprised when I slammed into an apparent daily limit on my upvotes.

I'll risk going too far when i say that I bristle at such restrictions - it smacks of the kind of paternalism that makes me feel like some kind of lesser minion that needs to be micro-managed by a big-brother system.

Free the restriction! ... Free Tibet! ... Free Willy!

Rant over.  Carry on.

• Upvote 3

Thanks for the clarification, Sentinel. Since you have kindly opened the door, I'll add that on most boards I have used I've never been limited to the number of "up-votes" or "likes" I could assign. I was certainly surprised when I slammed into an apparent daily limit on my upvotes.

I'll risk going too far when i say that I bristle at such restrictions - it smacks of the kind of paternalism that makes me feel like some kind of lesser minion that needs to be micro-managed by a big-brother system.

Free the restriction! ... Free Tibet! ... Free Willy!

Rant over. Carry on.

Ha! I didn't know there was a daily limit on upvotes! This website uses a fairly stock version of IPS. None of the mods have a hand in what features it has.

@@Col. Flagg I don't think we have a hard and fast rule on how votes are to be used.

Edited by Sentinel947

To me, it would make more sense if the red vs green were indeed opposites. If green = posts which one agrees, likes or finds helpful, the red should = posts which one disagrees, dislikes or does not find helpful. 

The means for reporting a post as malicious, off-topic or spam should be the "report" button.

How you describe the current set up, it invites confusion and inappropriate (by your definition) use. Also it makes the "report" button redundant.

My 2c.

SOP on other forums where I am a member. Those forums tally member positive or negative "reps" under member icon.

On most boards neg reps are usually for things @@Sentinel947 notes, not for disagreements in opinion or fact. They are also used (again on most boards I have used) to denote when the neg rep feature is being misused by a user.

Since I gave a recent neg rep (to someone who neg repped me), and did so contrary to board rules, my apologies. If there's a defined usage of neg reps for this board we might need a sticky...or a reminder. I think that's the only time I've neg repped someone.

You should adopt the policy my hand-held seems to want my thumbs to do: "neg rep" unto others before they "neg rep" unto you.

I guess a neg-rep for being of opposite opinion (e.g. the co-ed issue) isn't very cool. That's because in general, we're all trying to iron out our reasons for thinking the way we do, and would rather hear why someone disagrees with us. That prepares us for when some other scout or scouter gets in our face about the same issue. We can actually talk about how some people think without guessing from inside our own echo chamber.

But, if I say something that is truly unhelpful. Or maybe too polarizing for someone to kindly write a reply to.  I'd like to see the -1.

I'd also like to think that I'd be smart enough to tune out somebody with tons of -1s without the help of software.

All yall reading this post. Downvote this post. Do it for science.

I want to see if there is a trigger at -5 like I think there is.

Positive +5 triggers a flair on a post.

ROFL. So I did, but since I neg repped already once today it said I hit my quota. ;)

• Upvote 2

Ok. -5 does not have an effect. Can I get a -10? After that we will have our answer and can discuss if the downvote is not an auto censor, what purpose do we give it?

Well if all the usual people who post neg rep you today they will only be able to do it once. ;)

I''l neg rep you tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

what purpose do we give it?

The 'Popular' flair attached to Duct Tape's post (#6) indicates many agree with his interpretation, and I couldn't agree more. Wish I could upvote it twice. I will continue to upvote in agreement and downvote in disagreement. If a post is spam, moderators should remove it. Ridiculously off topic can be moved. Malicious posts can be reported. Simple.