• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am happy to report that the most recent prognosis is that they believe the scout will keep not only the eye, but also the tear duct. A happy ending, presuming they are correct.

Maybe and maybe not .  The wind in Texas can be fearsome at times.  

I live here. I know. Wind could be a cause. But a 34ft trailer and a Excursion sound a mismatch. Also, no other big rig accidents on that road or others so winds may not be the cause. We shall see wh

It is scary for sure.  Yesterday on our return from camp I was in the lead truck with the trailer and the wind blew the vehicle and trailer into the guard rail for the median.  Thankfully for us only minor damage occurred and we were able to fix it.  But it could have been very bad.  I know that my heart was racing after that.

My condolences to the families and troop involved.  

Mash, glad you are still around to talk about it,

We can count on racking up some numbers this month thanks to Jambo.

Every accident is important and worth noting.

Frankly, I wish BSA's annual report would have something about the risks of scouting. We could do better in informing on risks.

On the other hand, lacking comparisons to risks of not scouting (e.g., kids fall out of trees often, sometimes far from rescue), it's hard to tell if we're doing much better.

Maybe and maybe not . The wind in Texas can be fearsome at times.

I live here. I know. Wind could be a cause. But a 34ft trailer and a Excursion sound a mismatch. Also, no other big rig accidents on that road or others so winds may not be the cause. We shall see what the investigation yields. Edited by Back Pack
  • Upvote 1

All those accidents could have happened anywhere and actually when you think about it, with the case of falling out of a tree at least with BS there were people nearby with first aid experience and able to summon help quickly.

If some folks thing its great to climb to great heights and they are not under my responsibility, they can fall off cliffs and out of trees all they want.  Not on my watch.  #1 rule: Safety First.

I was berated for 3 days on a scouting cross country trip by the SM for not caravanning according to his standards while he drove 10 over the speed limit pulling a double axle cargo trailer loaded with scout equipment with a Dodge Ramcharger and four scouts.

1)  I don't speed.

2) BSA policy prohibits caracanning.

3) I don't want to witness an accident.

It was within 2 months I found another troop.

The best medicine is prevention.  While we call them "accidents" they really aren't.  And by the way, there are limits to First Aid.  No amount of training is going to make up for no pulse.

Does bsa policy prohibit caravaning? I thought if you followed at a safe distance and obeyed the traffic laws it would be safer.

It used to be in the GTSA, then it moved to the Tour and Activity Plan. Not sure where it is now. The essence of it is that if you are trying to stay in one position in relation to one or several other vehicles you will drive in a way that is not that expected or predicted by other drivers, and that is the surest way to end up in or causing an accident.

It used to be in the GTSA, then it moved to the Tour and Activity Plan. Not sure where it is now. The essence of it is that if you are trying to stay in one position in relation to one or several other vehicles you will drive in a way that is not that expected or predicted by other drivers, and that is the surest way to end up in or causing an accident.

It's not on the GTSS or the recently updated driving guide, nor on the bsa transportation page. Maybe it was a rule at one time but doesn't look like it now.

I'd argue that as long as you follow the law driving as a group allows you to render aid faster. If one adjusts their driving in a caravan style and violates the laws, they're not doing it safely. Follow the laws and a caravan type system works just fine.

Edited by Back Pack

There is "Caravaning"   And "Convoying".   

The Convoy idea is not necessary and can lead to taking chances unwarranted.  "I havta keep up with the leader!". No, you don't. You have to drive safe and get there in one piece.  The army may "convoy", but we ain't the army. The POTUS may drive thru DC in convoy, but we ain't him.   We do not have that purpose or permission. 

To "caravan" implies the same idea, but to me, it means knowing the route, having some idea of a realistic schedule, and having "meet-up" places along the way, if the destination is some distance away.   It does NOT mean keeping each other's car within eye shot.   It DOES mean driving safely and legally. 

My old Dodge Caravan (four cylinders, 5 speed, 30mpg)  could (and did!) carry 5 Scouts and all their gear to summer camp many times, but it could not (physically!) do over 60mph. At least not uphill....  I told folks I'd meet them there, depend on it, but I wasn't about to feel bad about not getting there earlier....

• Upvote 1