Eagle Scout's Appalachian Trail thru-hike is about more than testing Scouting skills.  Matthew and David, two scouts from Troop 505 in Austin, Texas are nearing the halfway point of their Great Appalachain Trail Expedition.  They have encountered bears, incliment weather, and tough terrain, but mostly they have experienced true generousity, friendship, and encouragement along the trail.  Follow their blog at www.thegreatATexpedition.com to read about why America is still great.  You can also read an interesting article from Scouting Magazine to learn more about their journey.

https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2017/06/28/eagle-scouts-appalachian-trail-thru-hike-is-about-more-than-testing-scouting-skills/

• Upvote 2

I'll be hitting the AT in Virginia starting on 7/16.  Hiking southbound.  I was hoping to meet Matthew on the trail, but he's cookin' right along, and we won't cross paths :(  I'm starting just south of Shenandoah NP and hope to do 100 miles in less than 10 days. (day hiking--gettin' too old to lug all that gear!)

I'll be hitting the AT in Virginia starting on 7/16.  Hiking southbound.  I was hoping to meet Matthew on the trail, but he's cookin' right along, and we won't cross paths :(  I'm starting just south of Shenandoah NP and hope to do 100 miles in less than 10 days. (day hiking--gettin' too old to lug all that gear!)

I was going to say....10 miles per day in that area with gear and food is a burning pace for anyone over 40. Not that I'm sayin' you're over 40. ;)

What's your start and end points? Waynesburo?

Edited by Col. Flagg

Starting at US 60 (Lexington Turnpike near Brown Mountain Creek Shelter). My end goal ( approx. 100 miles) around McAfee Knob.  The last 40 looks like easy terrain.

At my age, the only things I'm lugging are lunch and water.  Yup, well over 40. Celebrated the double-nickel last week. :)  I hike with a co-worker who's amazing.  He's 71 this year.

Staying in Daleville as long as it's practical.

Edited by frankpalazzi
  • Upvote 1