Need Tent Buying Tips for Scoutmaster Danny Video

As most of you know, I am trying to create a series of 5-minute "Scoutmaster Danny" videos for youth and adult scout leaders.  Several of you on this forum have provided feedback on my completed videos, which I have used in improving new videos.  

You have come up with great ideas.  Unfortunately, I can't modify existing videos using the feedback.  So for my next video, I thought I would ask for input before I write the script.  My ultimate goal is to create videos on topics that Scout leaders around the world will find interesting, useful and accurate.  I would like to ask the scouter.com community to assist me on this adventure.

My next video topic is:

Tent buying tips for Scout parents and adult leaders

What do you think I should include?

Overview of construction including common terms - vestibule, bathtub design, fly, etc

Aluminum vs fiberglass poles

Size/weight/cost considerations

3 season vs 4 season

I'm sure I'll think of more later.

You have come up with great ideas.  Unfortunately, I can't modify existing videos using the feedback.  

Actually, you can, depending on how you script your videos.

If you use an approach where you record segments for each topic and then edit them together, you can add/delete sections of your video series and recompile them.

Using a suite like CS6 with AfterEffects, Premiere Pro and such, you can really manage your series -- and even provide updates -- quite easily.

My next video topic is:

Tent buying tips for Scout parents and adult leaders

The Scouts should be the targeted audience, not parents nor Scouters.

I'd also add a list of companies that offer Scout discounts, i.e. ALPS Mountaineering through their HIKERDIRECT.COM website, Campmor, Coleman, etc.

• Upvote 1

i see this as being extremely unit dependent

some troops may want their scouts to bunk up together

some troops may provide troop tents

some troops tailgate camp next to a trailer, others do more backpacking or canoe type camping

and it depends a good bit on local climates too....hot areas, cooler areas, etc....

Personally, I think a good 2 man to 3 man tent is a good choice for a young scout.  Not an expensive one for the first go

I bought my son as a gift an Alps Mountaineering Merimac 3, as an example.  It has worked out well I think.  Not too expensive.  he has room to share, but it's not too big, well ventilated for our climate.

You can get descent enough tents from walmart or almost anywhere...even Big Lots.... for that first tent.

I would have gone a different route for him if the troop was more of a non-tailgate camping troop.....something lighter and more backpackable.... 

2 cents: We live in an area that can get windy and tents with just tent stakes can get pulled up and roll away like tumble weeds. All 4 season tents have tie downs that are fairly high up the tent but they are expensive. We found 3 season tents that have tie downs and they are much better in the wind. I believe they are ALPS Mountaineering.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the great comments.  Just a clarification.  This is not for youth tents, but for adult parent and leader tents.  Keep the ideas coming, I am writing the script tonight and will hopefully tape on Monday.

Danny

Edited by ScoutmasterDanny

Thanks for the great comments.  Just a clarification.  This is not for youth tents, but for adult parent and leader tents.  Keep the ideas coming, I am writing the script tonight and will hopefully tape on Monday.

Danny

Oh, then drawing out (and laying in) the footprint is absolutely important! Maybe with a tape measure vertical to get a sense of volume.

A "three man" tent means "casket" to abominable snowmen.

That said, I've relied on garage-sale $1 two-man 24" tall pup tents for years. (With some modifications ... Replaced poles with heavyguage aluminum from a retired dining fly. Got tougher stakes, etc ...)

Remind your audience what they save on canvans can be spent on coffee. But, know in advance what they've getting into.

Really, if they have a buddy (or a few) who will loan his gear for a few weekends, that's the best way to learn what's important to them.

For purchasing, the most thrifty source is used. Once the style, design, model etc... has been decided, one can usually find an almost new version for pennies on the dollar. Many, many people buy gear and use it once and then resell it. There are even websites just for reselling gear. I personally find the best deals on forums which have buy/sell sections. It takes some patience to acquire gear in this manner though.

• Upvote 2

One has to take into consideration the various "features" offered for the various tents.

1-2-3-4-8 man tents and their dimensions and height.   Remember a 5' x 4' tent has the same sq ft as a 2' x 10' tent.  It will make a difference to a 6' sleeper.

1 or 2 vestibules

1 or 2 doors

Rain fly to the ground

Material quality

Pole and zipper strength and maintenance

Ventilation

Weight and storage size

To me, having a check list of these features decided up-front will narrow my search to begin with.

• Upvote 1