I was just looking at the "20 skills that are dying out" thread and thought to myself, yes; a lot of these skills are dying out, but what about the technology skills young people have nowadays that we couldn't even imagine. Are IT skills a replacement for those or rather an addition to the list of things a well rounded person needs to know?

I like to think myself fairly computer literate, but still find myself asking those 30 something adults in my troop how to solve some of my trickier IT issues. To many of them it is just second nature.

I was just looking at the "20 skills that are dying out" thread and thought to myself, yes; a lot of these skills are dying out, but what about the technology skills young people have nowadays that we couldn't even imagine. Are IT skills a replacement for those or rather an addition to the list of things a well rounded person needs to know?

I like to think myself fairly computer literate, but still find myself asking those 30 something adults in my troop how to solve some of my trickier IT issues. To many of them it is just second nature.

The skills needed in the IT market will always be needed, but competition is going to get rougher? Why? Simply because more people are being trained in these skills. Making it more competitive is also that many IT jobs are going offshore. Of course, we will still need US-based IT jobs for the government, financial services sector and other industries where we don't want to rely on foreign labor.

Ever tried to do a 50-miler virtual reality hike?

Ever tried to cook dinner in a virtual Dutch oven?

Ever kept warm in a virtual tent and sleeping bag?

What happens to life as they know it when the battery goes dead?

I have spent thousands of hours reading Civil War history books, I have toured national battlefield sites and studied the tactics and played CW games on computers to hone my tactical skills.  But it wasn't until I stood on a national reenactment field with 30,000 other reenactors, listened to the bugles, drums, cannon and musket fire, smelled the burnt powder, and tasted it because I bit the cartridge too deeply or tried to handle  a muzzle reload of a gun so hot one couldn't handle it anymore with bear hands, with officers yelling commands, soldiers pushing you "into the right place", and all this wearing a heavy wool uniform in 100o+ heat brings one quickly to the realization that the world of books and computers is no substitute for the real thing.

I learned to tie knots, do first aid, cook, work a map and compass, camp and start fires for a reason.  Making a working bow and drill fire starter beats reading about it in a book or looking up on the internet for instructions.  Real adventure requires real life.

Edited by Stosh