Just bought my first pair.....

of ladies casual wear shoes for my own personal use...here's the why (no, not having a gender identification crisis)..decided to volunteer a wee bit of my time as a docent (fancy French term for tour guide) at a 1730 era Quaker site on weekends.

Now the problem is that my kit is geared for the French Canadian voyagers, lots of bright colors which just didn't fit in with the drabness the Quakers preferred.

So, it was off to my favorite suttlers i.e. Goodwill and Wal Mart to search for items to tone down my Frenchness. Nothing really suitable at GW, but made a killing at Wally World. In the ladies department found a casual shoe (Faded Glory's Maude) little changed from the orginal since it's first introduction in the 13th century, and worn by both genders of the working class up into the early 19th century...it'll save wear and tear on the mocs.

The other great buy was 12 yards x 60 heavy weight ticking (dark navy stripes on a pale blue background) at 2 bucks per which will be turned into slops (breeches). Should be able to make 6 pairs, of which I'll donate a couple to the other docents (most wear modern garb) who may be interested in dressing out for a better presentation.

So far, my new Quaker kit is starting to take shape, and looks late 17th/early 18th century. Will need to tone down the newness in the slops, but several washings in a light bleach solution, and a weak tea dye will cure that problem. Plus a rubbing of sandpaper for wear and tear in areas that would be found in garments worn by 18th century farmers...

For tomorrow, be off to buy another set of shoes at a thrift store. These'll be a primative handmade wooden shoe that most folks associates with the Dutch, but was simply another common shoe worn in these swampy areas....well, back to the sewing machine to finish up a few items....

Wondering if the Scouter's in the District seen me at Wally World trying on female shoes would think that I was a cool Dude?

Just Joking.

I did march in our local Halloween Parade a few years back wearing a tutu in order to win $100.00 for the FOS.

Eamonn

It all depends if you got the money...

I was in a holloween parade in the early 90s' in a white dress, white pantyhose and a Bedpan duct taped to my back, I also had a "Raphael" mask on and carried a 6 foot 1.5 inch PVC pipe painted to look like a themometer Bo

You may have guessed I was a Teenage Mutant Ninja Nurse

Any who, I just received a red Voyageurs cap known as a Tuoque (tuke).

My charactor is really taking shape. His name is Pierre and legend has it that he got his cap from his Uncle Earl. Seems Uncle Earl was one of the first Voyageurs and Pierre wanted to follow in his footsteps. Earl was well known as a great Voyageur in his time.

And in remembrance of his uncle, Pierre carries on the Voyageur tradition, he proudly paddles the canoe, portages heavy loads and wears the Tuoque of Earl.

To follow up on OGE's pun..........

{Chorus}

Moose Moose Moose, Moose and Squirrel

Moose Moose, Moose and Squirrel

Moose Moose, Moose and Squirrel

Of All the Cartoons in this world

Nothing can top the Moose and Squirrel.

And if you watch them faithfully

You will have Rocky up above

The Evil Boris Can't catch Me

Nor Natasha Baby

{Chorus}