As part of my "Scoutmaster Danny" videos, I reviewed three modern 2-burner base camp stoves that we purchased for our Troop.  While all of them have 2 burners and run on propane, there are significant differences in design and performance.

Stoves Reviewed:

Jet Boil Genesis - by far our favorite

Coleman Gladiator

Camp Chef Everest

Video Review is at:

https://youtu.be/Zg43CM9I9iQ

(Subscribe to be notified of future Scoutmaster Danny videos)

If you enjoy this type of video, Follow my Scoutmaster Danny Facebook page at:

https://www.facebook.com/MDScoutDanny/

Or on Twitter at:

https://twitter.com/Scoutmaster_Dan

My goto website for stoves is Outdoor Gear Lab

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/camping-and-hiking/best-camping-stove

Looks like you scooped them with your review of the Jet Boil Genesis. This is the first I have heard of the Genesis product.

We have been using the Everest for years with good results though I have heard mixed reviews from others. We were looking for simmer control, quick boiling,  and the rectangular griddle support. The latter would be a good additional test in your video. A real Lodge cast iron griddle please!

Always mention weight and price  The Genesis System (pots) is $270, I could easily buy two Everest for that. We already have the pots. I am not a fan of special pots for a stove, even a backpacking stove.

I didn't understand your point about the boiling water test being "unscientific". The test was unrealistic. Only Tenderfoots (old ranking system) and new SM's boil water without a lid. :)

Good videos. I agree with Schiff that price is an important fact to be included and that the two burner griddle, or at least two pans side by side would serve a better purpose than illustrating things with single pots of water. You can include boiling time as a fact rather than showing it.

Sorry I took so long to respond, I was camping/canoeing/fishing with the Troop this weekend.  I know the Jetboil is relatively expensive ($180 for the stove) compared to the Everest ($99), but it is so much better in so many ways that the extra cost is well worth it. 

I agree that I typically don't like special pots.  You can just buy the stove and use regular pots.  But I like the kit because it all packs together and takes up a third of the room in the chuck box.

I should have included the price in the video.  I actually edited it out at the last second, because the price of the Genesis dropped about $40 over the past six months.  So I was concerned that fluctuations would cause misunderstandings.

I really do appreciate the feedback.  I have been heavily incorporating the feedback as I create new videos.

Thanks,
Danny

Awesome video and demonstrations.

I am not against Jetboil, I have one myself but $300+ for this device is a bit of the ballpark for camp stoves.  We'll be sticking with the traditional Coleman, might take a little longer so we will fill that time with fellowship.

On a side note I am extremely interested in the Camp Chef Rainer stove for my personal use.

The Camp Chef Rainer is nice as well.  I have owned one in the past.  At 10K BTU, It is good if you are not trying to boil large pots of water or trying to cook on low temps.  It is about $100.

But I will say the Jetboil is only $170.  I assure you, it is worth every penny of the extra $70.  The benefit isn't in the speed of boiling, it is the ability to simmer and cook at low temperatures with extreme control.

For the youth, it allows them to cook eggs, pancakes, and similar items without burning them.  I personally cook for the adults at our campouts 10+ times a year.  I use whatever grill or stove is around.  Therefore, I have used a wide variety of stoves.  They are all very similar at higher temperatures.  It is that simmer control that really sets them apart from each other.

That being said, I still carry the Jetboil Genesis and the Camp Chef Everest to every campout.  The Everest is used when I am boiling large pots of water or soup.  The youth patrol chuck boxes now just have the Genesis in them.  We just recently removed the Colemans featured in the video.

Danny

My favorite is the J. C. Higgins stove my dad in law gave me.  Bought a propane conversion kit at  Dick's for $15. and voila !  Fires up, cooks, boils,

I figure that steel cased suitcase must have left the factory in , oh, maybe 1950..... 

It has two moving parts:  A lever to shift the gas from the first burner to the second, and (on the propane converter) a turn valve. 

No use for the liquid gasoline tank, the leather gaskets dried out a long time ago.  Hurricane insurance....

My favorite is the J. C. Higgins stove my dad in law gave me.  Bought a propane conversion kit at  Dick's for $15. and voila !  Fires up, cooks, boils,

I figure that steel cased suitcase must have left the factory in , oh, maybe 1950..... 

It has two moving parts:  A lever to shift the gas from the first burner to the second, and (on the propane converter) a turn valve. 

No use for the liquid gasoline tank, the leather gaskets dried out a long time ago.  Hurricane insurance....

Thats awesome!  It probably outperforms the modern stoves.

Very appropriate for me and the troop. Our old 30+ year old Coleman Stoves are on their last legs or have died. We're doing a fundraiser next month after camp and hopefully will be able to buy 3 new stoves.

I'm personally against the Jetboils due to price. As others commented, you could 2-3 other brands stoves for the price of 1 Genesis.