Dining Fly Position to Maximize Shade

So I've puzzled about this for years, and I don't think I have the information necessary to arrive at the right answer.

When setting up a dining fly to provide shade this time of year, would you set it north-south or east-west? As a second consideration, if you have two rectangular flies (flys?) would you run them perpendicular, parallel, or serially?

At this time of year, if I were setting up a tarp to provide shade, I would set it up so that the part that angles down is towards the west. In my neck of the woods (Northern Illinois), the temeperatures in the morning are generally less hot than they are in the late afternoon,when the sun is in the western sky, when I'd be looking for more shade....................If I had two rectangular flys, I think I would set them up in parallel - as long as they are "joined" in the middle, the front fly can be fully horizontal to the ground which will provide more shade coverage that either perpendicular or serially

• Upvote 1

Those massive flys with walls? From camping in the northern hemisphere, I've come to prefer east-west with one face open to the north during the summer.

Any other fly, I set it up with the low end to the wind.

With my hammock tarp, I set it up on diagonal between two trees, so that the head corner slides on the ridge line via a rigging of rope and biners. :)

So I've puzzled about this for years, and I don't think I have the information necessary to arrive at the right answer.

When setting up a dining fly to provide shade this time of year, would you set it north-south or east-west? As a second consideration, if you have two rectangular flies (flys?) would you run them perpendicular, parallel, or serially?

I think it depends on your location. Where I live we would typically set it up with the angled opening facing north. This would provide cover during most of the day, as well as take advantage of the prevailing winds.

The down side? Most weather comes from the WNW, so we would not have protection from that. The contingency plan is to double up the tarps but with the second tarp as the mirror of the primary tarp. This does two things: 1) the double thickness provides added Sun and UV protection, 2) when weather comes we simply move the long portion of the second tarp to the north and stake it down, thus making a pup tent.

I should have clarified: big lunky summer camp and Jamboree dining flies, roughly 10x16 or maybe 10x18.

I would say line up the long side with the sun's path. You can use tarps to create walls that you move from side to side. 

I would say line up the long side with the sun's path. You can use tarps to create walls that you move from side to side.

That's what I'm coming up with also. On the summer solstice (when I'll be at camp) the sun rises at its furthest northeastern point and sets at its furthest northwestern point. It travels in an arc that is then south of directly overhead. So I think east-west is the best orientation.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://solar.physics.montana.edu/ypop/Classroom/Lessons/Sundials/Images/SummerSol.gif&imgrefurl=http://solar.physics.montana.edu/ypop/Classroom/Lessons/Sundials/summer.html&h=233&w=470&tbnid=UCBoF6d5XLDC_M:&tbnh=104&tbnw=210&usg=__LhM3jKmQViBL6awpatyjPT7xT7A=&vet=10ahUKEwj29P-JrcPUAhUBVz4KHUtZCusQ9QEILDAA..i&docid=W0_3-LCfcXhsUM&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj29P-JrcPUAhUBVz4KHUtZCusQ9QEILDAA#h=233&imgdii=JUhycdIzOvW-_M:&tbnh=104&tbnw=210&vet=10ahUKEwj29P-JrcPUAhUBVz4KHUtZCusQ9QEILDAA..i&w=470

Edited by T2Eagle

I should have clarified: big lunky summer camp and Jamboree dining flies, roughly 10x16 or maybe 10x18.

Prevailing wind is my primary consideration with those things. Ridge pole sets perpendicular to wind. And the windward side hangs lower to the ground. That generally means the low side is westward. So we we get morning sun, but that doesn't seem to bother anyone. And the shade throughout the day is good enough. Boys just move their gear if it's a bother.

Now, our summer camp site is in a stand of oak, so we are not as pestered by sun as some other sites. So, your mileage may vary.