Texas Scout dies of heat stroke on backpack

A North Texas family is grieving the unexpected loss of their son. Reid Comita, 15, collapsed at the Buffalo Trails Scout Ranch in West Teas, where he was at the beginning of a week long backpack trip. The temperature Sunday reached 105 degrees.

His parents are awaiting autopsy results for the exact cause of death.

John Comita said his son loved the Scouts and lived it.

Reid had been on his way to Eagle Scouts status when he died, most likely of heat stroke.

More information and video

Scout salute and farewell.
Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Folks I've live in Texas for 15 years. We've done summer camp in state and obviously camp here a great deal. I've been to this camp and I've done a ton of backpacking.   I can tell you without a do

I think it is reasonable for parents to expect that when they sign their boy up for an intro to backpacking course, with adult supervision, that their boy would not be taking any "non-program" hikes w

I am also in Texas.  The week we went it was hot but not insane.  It was cooler than when we went to Hale in Oklahoma last year.

Very sad. I love my state but summer camp here can be harsh if you don't have a lake to plunge in to. BTSR is a great camp any other time of the year. They have a great cavalcade program and the scenery in the fall, winter and spring is awesome. Great mountains and really great hiking. But it is in the middle of west Texas. There are few places for shade and no watering hole (not used for drinking) where you could plunge in and lower your body temperature.

Update:

The El Paso County medical examiner’s office ruled Scout Reid Comita's death caused by heatstroke.  A record heat wave has now moved into the West.

The teen was working on his last mandatory merit badge, the camping merit badge, when he died while on the hike, his family said.

His Eagle Scout project was to build a playhouse and landscape the area for The Gatehouse, a home for women and children in crisis, in Grapevine.

That project will be completed in Comita’s honor by several members of the North Texas scouting community and friends.

More at source link

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/northeast-tarrant/article156989659.html

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • 2 months later...

"The Boy Scouts of America are responsible for my son's death. It's that simple. " said his father John Comita, a former scout himself.

Reading the article, the Comita's have, IMO, some strong arguments.

"The backpacking course would have been Reid's final task to accomplish Eagle Scout. His troop has since awarded him the honor posthumously."

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/dallas-county/fort-worth-family-blames-boy-scouts-for-sons-hiking-death-in-lawsuit/471806992

"The Boy Scouts of America are responsible for my son's death. It's that simple. " said his father John Comita, a former scout himself.

Reading the article, the Comita's have, IMO, some strong arguments.

"The backpacking course would have been Reid's final task to accomplish Eagle Scout. His troop has since awarded him the honor posthumously."

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/dallas-county/fort-worth-family-blames-boy-scouts-for-sons-hiking-death-in-lawsuit/471806992

This is very sad.

Especially, this article made it sound like the backpacking trip was mandatory. That confuses me:

• Nobody has to backpack in mid-summer to advance in rank.
  • No 15 year old needs to advance in rank right away.
  • No scout has to earn Eagle, ever.

I've never done it, so 5 miles at 100+ degree heat on level ground sounds like a technical hike to me. Other's can expound. However, I have a friend who collapsed at mile 3 (he insists it was 5) in the Pittsburgh marathon that put him in the ICU for months and rehab for years. I visited him in the ICU and told him that between him and another friend who passed while on an evening run, I was going to take up drinking and smoking. I never did, but since then, on any sort of hike, we evaluate regularly ... especially on the stressful parts -- every 100 yards if needed. Setting up camp mid-day, turning back, or diverting to plan B, C, D is always an option. Adjust, adjust, adjust. Even the mighty can fall.

According to this earlier article, he was working on Camping merit badge and this Introduction to Backpacking course was part of that?

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/texas/article/Boy-scout-who-died-on-West-Texas-hiking-trip-was-11233898.php

Edited by RememberSchiff

According to this earlier article, he was working on Camping merit badge and this Introduction to Backpacking course was part of that?

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/texas/article/Boy-scout-who-died-on-West-Texas-hiking-trip-was-11233898.php

Very sad story, prayers with the family and his fellow scouts.

I was wondering about the hike myself. The only thing I can think of is the hike with a 1000 foot rise in elevation. I have limited experience in West Texas, but from what I remember it would be tough to find an elevation change of that magnitude in a 5 mile hike. I only remember complete flatness.

Regardless, it is a truly sad story.

That sure is terrible.

Just my guess, but rather than a 1000 ft climb (9.1) he was likely doing 9.2, Backpack, snowshoe, or cross-country ski for at least 4 miles.

That's not the issue, though. There were two other "teenagers" with him and I wonder what kind of training they had. We see plenty of merit badge counselors that don't belong at summer camps. Is this what happened?

That sure is terrible.

Just my guess, but rather than a 1000 ft climb (9.1) he was likely doing 9.2, Backpack, snowshoe, or cross-country ski for at least 4 miles.

That's not the issue, though. There were two other "teenagers" with him and I wonder what kind of training they had. We see plenty of merit badge counselors that don't belong at summer camps. Is this what happened?

I believe he was on the high adventure program, I was there the week after them, and that camp have elevation unlike most of Texas.  That week was very hot, but I would refrain from accusations about the other people there.  I feel horrible for the family.

Folks I've live in Texas for 15 years. We've done summer camp in state and obviously camp here a great deal. I've been to this camp and I've done a ton of backpacking.

I can tell you without a doubt, NO ONE wants to camp and hike in Texas in the summer if there are other options (e.g., Philmont). This past June it was insanely hot. My own unit cancelled outdoor events due to the heat index. To be out in that weather, little shade, little water and no place to bring down body heat in an emergency is simply INSANE!! As an SM i would not recommend any of my Scouts or adults undertake such adventures. It's simply too dangerous and there are other options (fall, winter or spring).

I'm not sure who is to blame but any parent or adult leader living in Texas knows why we stay indoors most of the summer or hang by the lake or pool.

• Upvote 2

Folks I've live in Texas for 15 years. We've done summer camp in state and obviously camp here a great deal. I've been to this camp and I've done a ton of backpacking.

I can tell you without a doubt, NO ONE wants to camp and hike in Texas in the summer if there are other options (e.g., Philmont). This past June it was insanely hot. My own unit cancelled outdoor events due to the heat index. To be out in that weather, little shade, little water and no place to bring down body heat in an emergency is simply INSANE!! As an SM i would not recommend any of my Scouts or adults undertake such adventures. It's simply too dangerous and there are other options (fall, winter or spring).

I'm not sure who is to blame but any parent or adult leader living in Texas knows why we stay indoors most of the summer or hang by the lake or pool.

I am also in Texas.  The week we went it was hot but not insane.  It was cooler than when we went to Hale in Oklahoma last year.

• Upvote 1