Unfortunate issue at Cub Scout Day Camp, seeking advice

I agree, but not everyone follows the rules.  What then?  Do they get kicked out of scouting?  Most of the time it's just a slap on the wrist unless the media gets involved.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me?  I would just get the window fixed and then stop all FOS contributions until the cost has been met.  No drama, no hassle, no paperwork, no lawyers, no discussions with other scouters/council.  

Three contacts for something like this the Scout Executive (SE), District Executive (DE) and the District Chairman (DC). In the back ground, the SE will contact the DE to learn of the facts as far as

Ok.  The Camp Director, volunteer or not, has the responsibility to report it to the incident to Council.  Make sure that's been done.  If you have an actual quote on the replacement cost, include tha

I agree, but not everyone follows the rules.  What then?  Do they get kicked out of scouting?  Most of the time it's just a slap on the wrist unless the media gets involved.

Just like getting your national camp certification is important to some camps, maybe having this issue flagged for council demonstrates their attention to detail. If they miss this what's next? Lack of water front coverage? Improper records for climbing gear maintenance? Dinning hall health violations?

I have sympathy because I have worked at and run a camp before. I have friends that run council camps now and see all the crud they deal with to maintain their rating, so it is unfair to look the other way when a council clearly violates one of the easiest things to police.

I'd simply like to see the incident be reported and the council take steps to make sure that they never set a range up like that again. One has to wonder if they missed something as simple as this, what other corners are they cutting? Maybe none. Maybe many. One never knows until you shine the light under the stove how many roaches you have....if any.  :D

If this was a Cub activity held at the council camp, why was the BB gun activity not set up at the rifle range instead of the parking lot?  I can see where Cub camps are different locales than Boy camps, but if one is going to go through all the hoops to have a separate Cub camp, maybe they ought to jump through ALL the hoops necessary to hold all the Cub activities safely, even more safety considering the maturity of the boys.

Council event. Council property. Council responsibility. I don't think it gets any clearer than that.

The OP said it was not council property. But it was a council event. From the various posts I get the impression that the Camp Director told the OP one thing and the council something else. In other words he told everyone what they wanted to hear. That sounds like the problem right there.

Edited by NJCubScouter

The letter from the Program Director was a bit dissapointing. Even taking the same stance that they did, denying any wrongdoing, they certainly could have worded it better. Implying that you were having this covered by insurance yet still seeking reimbursement was inappropriate. Surely the director knows as well as anyone else that quite likely your deductible would prohibit an insurance claim on $300.

If it were me, and if I really did believe that the range setup wasn't at fault for the window, I still would have taken a different approach in responding.