Do anyone know of Scout camps that have hookups and encourage RVers to stay and work at the camps?

I know several retired people that have great skills in maintenance or who would be great at leading merit badge classes. They prefer staying in their RV's.

Does anyone know of Scout camps that have such programs?

Haven't heard of that, but it sounds like a good idea for the reasons you state.  I just hope the camp wouldn't make it public knowledge.

I can see it now, Tenderfoot Timmy's troop is off for a week at summer camp.  Here comes Timmy's dad, Helicopter Harry with the rig in tow. And the wife.  And the three other kids. And the dog.

Oh it'll be a fun week.  :)

It sets a bad precedent, and once the floodgates are open, every thing breaks loose. We had some long time Scouters (husband and wife duo) with health issues bring their RV to man camporee. Worked OK for a year or two, then things busted loose. Had to state no RVs.

We had a family bring their RV to a weekend Webeloree. Excuse was that Mom was pregnant and they needed the RV. Had to state no RVs.

Not an RV but golf carts. We got one troop that has elderly leaders with health issues. They drive everywhere in the golfcart at camporee now. Going to get interesting this year.

Our council's camp has an excellent family camp with RV sites (and cabins):

http://manypoint.org/content/family-camp

It's very isolated from where the scouts are, so there's not really a problem with helicopter parents.  The programming is mostly geared toward younger kids, and is excellent.  It was originally intended for families of scouts at camp, and they have priority.  But it's open to anyone registered in the BSA.

They do not have any programs geared toward "workcampers."  In fact, it wouldn't work particularly well for a MBC, since it's so far away from where the scouts are staying (about an hour walk, or about 10 minutes by car to the closest subcamp where the scouts are).

There's a small amount of interaction with troops, since it's sometimes a destination for troops doing hikes or canoe trips.

• 2 weeks later...

speaking of camp staff...not attending Scouters....

I think I remember seeing an RV or two at our Camp Shands, parked in the back corner of a "staff only" area near the shooting ranges and near a bathroom.  This was several years ago at some Cub Scout thing...not at a summer camp.

...so maybe.....but I'm not aware of any sort of program" or promotion...

Seems like a great idea to me though.  As an RV'er myself I could totally imagine a retired full time RV'er and ex-scouter, willing to take a few weeks or more to work with scouts or support a camp in return for a free place to park....  I can totally see myself doing that if I were retired and my kids were grown..... teach a merit badge class or two, do a service project or two, hang out in a nice scout reservation for a few weeks....

My council holds a council-wide event every couple of years at a local fairgrounds.  A couple years back they started allowing RVs but I think it was mostly for staff/campmasters who were coming in early in the week to keep an eye on things as equipment and displays and the like rolled in.

I have attended camps where there is a remote family camp area.  By remote I mean a dedicated site away from the Cub Camp area and the Summer Camp areas.  It's quite a hike between these 3 different areas, but if one gets a good night's sleep on a RV mattress, they should be able to do quite well making the trip.  I used that area to dock my kayak for the week and would walk over there to get my kayak.  Only the most daring of boys who made the trek around the perimeter of the lake would even know about the 3 different areas offered up by the council for specialty camping.  Someone could have set up an RV over there in the family camp and no one from the Summer Camp area would even know about it.