Outside Magazine: Boy Scouts Should Allow Girls

ok, but now 18-21 is no longer legally youth.  So the purpose is already defeated.  Conversely, the ACA defines youth as up to age 26 and we've already acknowledged and accepted the age of maturity is now in one's 30's.  I could easily see the BSA shifting their alignment to meet this modern family need.  Again, the focus here is "modern".  We need to accept that times change and 18 years old just isn't the cut off for youth anymore.  37 year old boy scouts seems like a good plan to increase membership and revenue.  

You are right.  When I was college age through mid 20s, I would have loved a Boy Scout program where I could canoe, hike and build skills.  IMHO, the BSA youth program would have worked great for this age ... especially as those new adults would want to really learn the skills and build the experiences and explore the MB topics. 

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes 1972, The Improved Scouting Program.

Back in the day (here he goes), Boy Scouts was the only game in town where I could be with friends and AWAY from  Mom, DAD, and annoying adults.  There was some adult association but not the dominatio

I am against allowing girls in Boy Scout troops for a variety of reasons, but in a nutshell BOYS LEARN BETTER IN AN ALL MALE ENVIRONMENT JUST AS GIRLS LEARN BETTER IN AN ALL GIRL ENVIRONMENT! (caps fo

Trained once and done, huh? Not how I remember the role of the Crew Advisor.

Yes, huh as in why didn't they show this time.  Nice kids but their lives were over-scheduled and Venturing had low priority. No surprise, crew folded.

Edited by RememberSchiff

You are right.  When I was college age through mid 20s, I would have loved a Boy Scout program where I could canoe, hike and build skills.  IMHO, the BSA youth program would have worked great for this age ... especially as those new adults would want to really learn the skills and build the experiences and explore the MB topics. 

But wouldn't the challenges of college really make a BSA-style program impossible? There seems to be so much emphasis on rank, leadership and participation; three things that take time away from the rigors of college. Wouldn't college kids just want that sort of sign up, train me and let me have fun style adventure (e.g., Outward Bound)? I see many campuses in my area offering just that: Pre-packaged trips where you get some training (e.g., kayaking), and then you are off with your friends.

Venturing is about as close as BSA comes to that type of program, if at all. I do agree that college kids would likely love some type of adventure-based, lower effort/high impact program.

Is it against the rules around here to abbreviate the rank name?

"It kinda negates the Charter, and as far as I can tell the political trend for gals is to get the BOY Scout Eagle, not the Scout Eagle, not the same brand, not the same thing in the minds of those getting it."

Try to keep up. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

But wouldn't the challenges of college really make a BSA-style program impossible? There seems to be so much emphasis on rank, leadership and participation; three things that take time away from the rigors of college. Wouldn't college kids just want that sort of sign up, train me and let me have fun style adventure (e.g., Outward Bound)? I see many campuses in my area offering just that: Pre-packaged trips where you get some training (e.g., kayaking), and then you are off with your friends.

Venturing is about as close as BSA comes to that type of program, if at all. I do agree that college kids would likely love some type of adventure-based, lower effort/high impact program.

Yep.  BSA for young adults would very much be an overlap with Outward Bound and other adventure trips.  Almost a camping club.  

"It kinda negates the Charter, and as far as I can tell the political trend for gals is to get the BOY Scout Eagle, not the Scout Eagle, not the same brand, not the same thing in the minds of those getting it."

Try to keep up. 

So I should expect to get called out if I just say "Eagle" because it doesn't align with the charter language? Is that it?  

Really, I don't know if this is a joke or what. Surely I'm not the first person around here to just say "Eagle" in a post. 

• Upvote 1

that there used to be a Young mens and a young women's CA and now theres just a combined YMCA.

Actually the YMCA USA and the YWCA USA are still separate organizations. The YWCA is just less visible because they don't run gyms and pools anymore (at least not around here), and are much more focused on issues specific to women.

Actually the YMCA USA and the YWCA USA are still separate organizations. The YWCA is just less visible because they don't run gyms and pools anymore (at least not around here), and are much more focused on issues specific to women.

Interesting.  In my neighborhood growing up (60's into the early 70's) there was a YM/YWHA.  (Young Men's/Young Women's Hebrew Association.)  The building was long ago converted to something else after the vast majority of its clientele moved to more suburban locales.  I don't know if the organization itself ceased to exist or just moved with its constituency.

then the scouter was wrong on that point, but the YMCA is no longer dedicated to young men, and as such, with a focus on "family" it's nothing more than a glorified (and over priced) gym and pool club.

a scouter used that as an example to me as to why this is the right move.  that there used to be a Young mens and a young women's CA and now theres just a combined YMCA.  My thought is, the YMCA is just a glorified gym now. They actually used to have a mission statement and were dedicated to the development of young men, and young women.  So if that's the goal here, to change BSA into a glorified camping program, great! otherwise, this argument in defense of co-ed scouting is comparing apples and dump trucks. 

The focus of my point was that the YMCA, now the Family Y, had to change totally away from it's original mission in order to make the change, is that what BSA is up to?  Sure things changed, they merged, they went co-ed, they invited in families, etc. etc. etc. all for membership the the bottom line.  I was hoping BSA had more integrity than that.

• Upvote 1

The focus of my point was that the YMCA, now the Family Y, had to change totally away from it's original mission in order to make the change, is that what BSA is up to?  Sure things changed, they merged, they went co-ed, they invited in families, etc. etc. etc. all for membership the the bottom line.  I was hoping BSA had more integrity than that.

Indeed, that was my point as well. The Y is a poor example to use unless your only point to make is "hey, they're still around!" 

• Upvote 1