Is it only me or have others seen an increase of requests for free labor from Scouts in the form of “service projects�

These requests are not coming from other non-profits or community service organizations and the requester is getting paid.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't see more requests for service projects.  What I'm seeing is scouts looking for easy eagle projects by asking beneficiaries that have had projects before.  Beneficiaries have a list of desired

"A Scout is helpful."   Since when did we start asking folks NOT to ask us for help?   Back when I was working on my Chariot Maintenance Merit Badge,  our Troop often would ask (especially to our Ch

When Eagle becomes just a line item on a resume... you start seeing things like that. 

I don't see more requests for service projects.  What I'm seeing is scouts looking for easy eagle projects by asking beneficiaries that have had projects before.  Beneficiaries have a list of desired projects and even have the materials.  They want scouts to provide the labor to get them done.  

But I don't think it's the beneficiaries that are the issue.  I think the scouts too often look for the easy Eagle project.  

• Upvote 3

But I don't think it's the beneficiaries that are the issue.  I think the scouts too often look for the easy Eagle project.  

When Eagle becomes just a line item on a resume... you start seeing things like that. 

• Upvote 1

Is it only me or have others seen an increase of requests for free labor from Scouts in the form of “service projects�

These requests are not coming from other non-profits or community service organizations and the requester is getting paid.

What kind of organization (or person) are the requests coming from?  And when you say the requesting person is getting paid, paid for what?

We have seen local assisted living locations asking for the unit to do projects for them; usually manual labor. A few we have obliged, only for them to come back a few times with expectations of a more "professional" job, which really was work they expected done but did not include in the original scope of work.

We have seen local assisted living locations asking for the unit to do projects for them; usually manual labor. A few we have obliged, only for them to come back a few times with expectations of a more "professional" job, which really was work they expected done but did not include in the original scope of work.

Sounds like yet another example of "No good deed goes unpunished".

"A Scout is helpful."

Since when did we start asking folks NOT to ask us for help?   Back when I was working on my Chariot Maintenance Merit Badge,  our Troop often would ask (especially to our Charter Org)  what needed to be done.  Indeed, each Patrol was expected to DO something   every month: cut the church grass, shovel snow, prune shrubs, help at the pancake supper,  usher at service, something..  But I do not remember getting "points"  for it. It was just expected and we did it.

Things did change when the Eagle Service Project was included.  My Eagle needed "evidence" of doing service, "Good Turns", active in school, etc.  but nothing like a defined, individual >project< .

Free labor?   Well, just what is a "service project (either Unit, District or Eagle)"  if not that ?   Scoutson's was the renovation of the Rabbit Barn siding/trim/eaves at the County Fair Grounds.  They provided the materials, we provided the "labor".  It would not have been done, save for Scoutson's desire and organizing of his Four H, school and Scout friends and their construction experienced dads and moms.   

• Upvote 3

I think it already is sadly.  Some Eagles do the minimum and don't get out of scouting what scouting has to offer.  The parents are very happy their son got his Eagle and flaunt it, use it for a college resume.  Meanwhile many boys that get Life are filled with more leadership and learned more from scouting than just a rank patch.  Of course there are Eagle scouts that really work hard, have fun, and deserve their accolades.  But sadly, I think they are less common than the prior.

I think it already is sadly.  Some Eagles do the minimum and don't get out of scouting what scouting has to offer.  The parents are very happy their son got his Eagle and flaunt it, use it for a college resume.  Meanwhile many boys that get Life are filled with more leadership and learned more from scouting than just a rank patch.  Of course there are Eagle scouts that really work hard, have fun, and deserve their accolades.  But sadly, I think they are less common than the prior.

I do too, it was already becoming that 20 years ago when I earned Eagle.  Mike Rowe had a nice speech that touched on the subject.  He talked about how he is an Eagle Scout and is getting this extra recognition, but his brother... a Star Scout, while not up on the pedestal getting a special recognition, saved another person's life and deserves far more recognition than he did.  I keep trying to tell people who obsess about "Eagle Scout", it's not about the destination, it's about the journey to Eagle and all that you learn and can then apply throughout your whole life that matter.  If all you focus on is checking off boxes and getting that patch... you've completely missed the point.  

https://youtu.be/kKie47V2lLY?t=541

Edited by Gwaihir

What kind of organization (or person) are the requests coming from?  And when you say the requesting person is getting paid, paid for what?

Let's say, as an example, a professional Landscaper gets paid handsomely to do yard work for a client.

He asks for troops to help in a "conservation project" of raking leaves and removing them 

I don't have an issue of helping an organization like a church, a wildlife area, AT service group, ... etc asking for help.

Its when someone is getting paid to do something and wants the troop to do what they were hired for.

"A Scout is helpful."

Free labor?   Well, just what is a "service project (either Unit, District or Eagle)"  if not that ?   Scoutson's was the renovation of the Rabbit Barn siding/trim/eaves at the County Fair Grounds.  They provided the materials, we provided the "labor".  It would not have been done, save for Scoutson's desire and organizing of his Four H, school and Scout friends and their construction experienced dads and moms.   

If I'm hired to build a Walmart, can I get the Scouts to provide the materials and labor if I call it a "service project"?