BALOO patch - other examples of custom device for BSA achievements w/o official patch?

After I took a BALOO course last year I was disappointed to find that there was no "BALOO-trained" patch available from BSA, I designed one and ordered a batch.*

Now I'm wondering if others have done the same thing - creating a private patch or pin for some BSA achievement that doesn't have an official recognition device from BSA. This is different than ordering custom patches for a Cub-O-Ree or similar events, but rather, for example, a custom square knot patch.

Have folks here seen that done by anyone else?

* Once I figure out how I'll upload a picture.

• 7 months later...

Welcome to the forum Pack1_Axel!  Just so you're aware, this thread was previously active for one day in June 2017, and the original poster appears to have last visited the forum the day after that - June 9.  That being the case, you might be waiting a long time for a response.  :)

Thanks, Axel and Stosh for your enthusiastic feedback.

I used Moritz Embroidery, http://bsa.moritzembroidery.com/. Moritz is licensed to use BSA logos, like the FDL. I first used them to make patches for a Klondike event, and they were great to work with.

Designs that use BSA images need to get BSA approval, which Moritz takes care of once the customer settles on a design.

@SSScout That BSA Baloo pin was one option I considered, but I wanted something that clearly related to the BALOO course.

@Cleveland Rocks I'd already seen other trainings with recognition devices (e.g., Woodbage, U. of Scouting), so I figured that it's in the same category as them (albeit different in degree). And another purpose of the BALOO patch is to identify to others the BALOO trained individual(s) at an outdoor event.

• Thanks 1
On 6/8/2017 at 5:45 PM, Eph said:

...Now I'm wondering if others have done the same thing - creating a private patch or pin for some BSA achievement that doesn't have an official recognition device from BSA. This is different than ordering custom patches for a Cub-O-Ree or similar events, but rather, for example, a custom square knot patch...

I'm all for wearing whatever you like in the temporary patch spot, but when you start to get into insignia, I'd probably avoid that. 

On 6/8/2017 at 6:21 PM, Cleveland Rocks said:

I don't know if I'd consider taking the BALOO course an "achievement"?  I think it's part of the process of being a Cub Scout leader.

Do we need recognition patches every time we take a training course?

Normally I'd say "no", we don't. But in this case, it is actually helpful in showing that a leader has gone through a specific training course, something I think parents would appreciate knowing. We wear a lot of stuff that makes no sense to many parents. Heck, some Scouters can't identify insignia other Scouters wear, especially the more rare square knots. But having a patch that clearly identifies specific training is useful to parents and makes the Pack look good. I'm a fan of the "Trained" patch for the same reason, and if a BALOO patch gives leaders (and thus the den and pack) some additional credibility, I'm all for it.